Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary school recommendations in Melbourne?

Primary school recommendations in Melbourne?

Old May 5th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all
Smile Primary school recommendations in Melbourne?

Hi - we are slowly approaching d-day when my kids and I finally move to Melbourne this September (hubby will be joining us some months later). Could someone please recommend some good state primary schools? The plan is to rent for a year or so and then to eventually buy in the same suburb.

Also any views on Auburn Primary and Auburn South Primary schools?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Kassy; May 5th 2009 at 12:49 pm. Reason: Sp
Old May 5th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary school recommendations in Melbourne?

Auburn South Primary School is a good school and lots of professionals from the area send their children there before they go on to private high schools.

My ex employer sent his children there and the community was great. I still have a cook book that the Mums put together to raise money. Lots of involvement going on there.
Old May 5th 2009, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kassy
Hi - we are slowly approaching d-day when my kids and I finally move to Melbourne this September (hubby will be joining us some months later). Could someone please recommend some good state primary schools? The plan is to rent for a year or so and then to eventually buy in the same suburb.

Thanks so much!
We had the same dilemma in Jan when we moved, knowing we had the chance to get the eldest (4) into a good school because of the catchment area, as that is what it's all about. Without a job we were totally flexible in our location.

After speaking to many different people, one name that came out frequently was Camberwell Primary School and thus we moved into the catchment area (the catchments are not that often publicly available but some sweet talking to the school gets a map of it and off you go - and the map is definitely needed as the roads bear no resemblance to say a 5 mile radius or anything else.

We thus took a hit by renting in Camberwell, a very expensive suburb, to get our daughter into what we understand to be the best, if not top 5 school in Melbourne.

We'll see next year if it is worth it, but she's guaranteed a place because of our location so it works very well.
Old May 6th 2009, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

Thanks for that!

The problem is the schools (Auburn South Primary) don't seem to publish the catchment on their website. So all these days have been trying to get an idea of rentals and only looking for places on streets in front/immediately next to the school - so not much choice then...lol

How about Auburn Primary - that seems to be a smaller school - anything nice to say about it?

Auburn South Primary looks very good. Will also check out Camberwell Primary now - thanks for the heads up on that. The advantage with Hawthorn is the transport and proximity to transport and CBD, what with us on our own and no car initially.

We were planning to rent a 4 bed at first(that was when we were going to move the entire family, bag and baggage). But now with just the girls and myself, would be quite content with a 2-3 bed unit/apartment for sometime.
Old May 6th 2009, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Auburn South takes students from Hawthorn and Hawthorn East areas and only its catchment as its highly desirable.

http://www.thisreview.com.au/Reviews...-East-Victoria
Old May 6th 2009, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

These are both great schools. You can't do much better than these, state or private. But the catchment areas are extremely small.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Thanks for that!

The problem is the schools (Auburn South Primary) don't seem to publish the catchment on their website.
You can ring them and they will tell you the street boundaries.
Old May 6th 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks - will do that and give them a call.
Old May 6th 2009, 1:25 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much!
We are not far from there. You could also try Malvern
http://www.malvernps.vic.edu.au/
Old May 7th 2009, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks GG....

BTW are there any streets/roads that we should steer clear off (e.g. crime hotspots) in these areas:

Hawthorn
Hawthorn East
Kew
Kew East
Malvern
Camberwell

Am nervous as it would just be myself and the kids initially and I've never stayed alone before
Old May 7th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ossigeno
You can ring them and they will tell you the street boundaries.
Or call in and get a map which is what we did to get into Camberwell Primary school...
Old May 7th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks GG....

BTW are there any streets/roads that we should steer clear off (e.g. crime hotspots) in these areas:

Hawthorn
Hawthorn East
Kew
Kew East
Malvern
Camberwell

Am nervous as it would just be myself and the kids initially and I've never stayed alone before
I know the area pretty well - if you want help then PM me.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks GG....

Hawthorn
Hawthorn East
Kew
Kew East
Malvern
Camberwell

You are picking the best suburbs in Melbourne for family living.

These areas stretch quite far. I would avoid the side of Malvern that goes down to Princes freeway and Hawthorn border with Burnley.

Not any particular crime hotspots in these areas I am aware of.

Camberwell has a fast train service to city. Hawthorn on same line but is a slow train. Malvern station is down near the Princes freeway. None of the other suburbs have a train service.

Camberwell and Hawthorn are the pick of the crop.

Buying a house in any of these suburbs will cost $1M plus.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:58 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
You are picking the best suburbs in Melbourne for family living.

These areas stretch quite far. I would avoid the side of Malvern that goes down to Princes freeway and Hawthorn border with Burnley.

Not any particular crime hotspots in these areas I am aware of.

Camberwell has a fast train service to city. Hawthorn on same line but is a slow train. Malvern station is down near the Princes freeway. None of the other suburbs have a train service.

Buying a house in any of these suburbs will cost $1M plus.
I would correct this statement by saying stay clear of being right on the Dandenong road - but don't rule out this side of Malvern if you can afford it

(Prices started at $1.8m+) The train journey is 12 mins (ie Caulfield too Parliament).

The Hawthorn border with Burnely is more Richmond (smaller plots/more flats/units). Busy roads main and side roads.

Have a look at Glen Iris (tree lined, well located for trams, trains and access to and from the city by city link).

You might also wish to look at Armadale but house plots get smaller (but access to city is faster).
Old May 7th 2009, 10:02 am
Has left the building

Thanks GG....

Hawthorn
Hawthorn East
Kew
Kew East
Malvern
Camberwell

Be wary when reading crime stats - these areas are high risk for burglaries due to high profile and wealthy residents. I say be wary because the stats do not reflect the level of safety or sense of security.

But the most safe and secure areas for families and my wife is often left home alone with the kids while I travel interstate and she has no issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.