Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary school class numbers: Rosalie/Nedlands/Dalkeith/Claremont/Kapinara

Primary school class numbers: Rosalie/Nedlands/Dalkeith/Claremont/Kapinara

Old Jan 17th 2012, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future
Smile Primary school class numbers: Rosalie/Nedlands/Dalkeith/Claremont/Kapinara

I have started ringing around but not having much luck. I expect most people will be back next week.

Does anyone know approximate numbers in classes in these primary schools? I've done a search but all I could find were a couple of posts dating back to 2005.

Thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Default Re: Primary school class numbers: Rosalie/Nedlands/Dalkeith/Claremont/Kapinara

My kids went to Nedlands and the class sizes were around 26-28. At Claremont (now Freshwater Bay Primary School) the class sizes seem to be a bit smaller - a friend had a girl in a 3/4 class and there were 24 kids.

Heard good things about Nedlands, Rosalie, Dalkeith and Freshwater Bay but no idea about Kapinara.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future
Default Re: Primary school class numbers: Rosalie/Nedlands/Dalkeith/Claremont/Kapinara

Originally Posted by galba
My kids went to Nedlands and the class sizes were around 26-28. At Claremont (now Freshwater Bay Primary School) the class sizes seem to be a bit smaller - a friend had a girl in a 3/4 class and there were 24 kids.

Heard good things about Nedlands, Rosalie, Dalkeith and Freshwater Bay but no idea about Kapinara.
Thanks for this - it's certainly food for thought. Are the numbers the same in the UK do you know? We are moving three kids from private school in the east where numbers are no more than 22. Just umming and aahing between UK and Perth at the moment (we have lived in Perth before, but the kids weren't quite school age. We then lost our places at some private schools there.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Josieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really nice

Have you checked out the education website. I know in Queensland (no help to you I know) there are enforced class restrictions. Prep - 3 & 11-12: no more than 25, Year 4 - 10 no more than 28.

From what I understand from my friends who have taught in London class numbers are less in Australia because there are no full time teacher aides. Don't know how accurate this is though.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cosmo Knott
Thanks for this - it's certainly food for thought. Are the numbers the same in the UK do you know? We are moving three kids from private school in the east where numbers are no more than 22. Just umming and aahing between UK and Perth at the moment (we have lived in Perth before, but the kids weren't quite school age. We then lost our places at some private schools there.
Depends where you go in the UK. My daughters primary school was more than 22 kids per class but my niece and nephew are in a very small catholic primary in Lancashire with no more than 20 per class. Same in Perth, depends where you pick. It also depends on the overall make up of the school. A principal will get so many teaching staff depending on his numbers. He/she then has to plan his class structure around those numbers/teaching staff. It will depend from year to year too. For instance our current year 3 groups is massive and as a result class sizes are higher than our year 4 group which has much less kids. I wouldn't base your decision on class sizes, I would base it on what each country offers you in day to day living and employment prospects. There will be good and bad schools in both places.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cosmo Knott
Sorry, no idea about the UK as my kids had only been at International Schools prior to Nedlands. They now attend private schools in the western suburbs. The boys' class sizes are 26 and the girls' are 20 or less.

Have you tried all the private schools again? Some people do drop out at the last minute.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

shussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really nice

Finding out class sizes alone may be misleading, I've read that a larger class can be just as successful as a smaller one with the right teacher, or combination of a good teacher and teaching assistant(s). This article gives food for thought: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225953463212
Might be worth knowing that a National Curriculum is currently being implemented in Australia so there will potentially be changes \ improvements over next few years.
That said, in 2009 PISA report Australia ranked higher than the UK...
Have you been using My School website to research Australian schools?
Good luck with your plans.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Every school I've taught in, in the UK, primary (infant and junior) class sizes have ranged from 24-38. Reception/infants has a cap on it at 30 max, juniors doesn't. Although there is talk they are going to have to raise this cap, starting next year, as there are too few school places for all the children now coming up to school age due to increased population/birth rates. My last school (I just left as we are leaving for Oz in a couple of weeks) has been in talks with county at how we are going to manage it.

There isn't the money, either for staff or the nec. building works, to have more classes, so the class sizes will have to go up really.

I guess it completely depends on where in the country you are in the UK - I taught in London (never below 30/class), outer london (rarely under 30 and then only for infants), just outside outer london (same as outer london) and Midlands - never under 30 for infants, juniors between 22-35/class. But I know friends who have classes of 14, and some who have classes of 41, so it varies wildly.

Imho its' only going to go up, with more and more teaching being taken over by unqualified staff, due to budget restraints in the UK. Its far too hit and miss whether its good or bad imho and experience, I certainly wouldn't return to the UK for education (one of the reasons we are leaving).
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:29 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Kapinara has no classes bigger than 30 I think. It's growing year on year and has a number of split classes eg. A 2/3, 3 and a 3/4 for this coming year. This means smaller no's in the classrooms. hope this helps!
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hilasbat
Every school I've taught in, in the UK, primary (infant and junior) class sizes have ranged from 24-38. Reception/infants has a cap on it at 30 max, juniors doesn't. Although there is talk they are going to have to raise this cap, starting next year, as there are too few school places for all the children now coming up to school age due to increased population/birth rates. My last school (I just left as we are leaving for Oz in a couple of weeks) has been in talks with county at how we are going to manage it.

There isn't the money, either for staff or the nec. building works, to have more classes, so the class sizes will have to go up really.

I guess it completely depends on where in the country you are in the UK - I taught in London (never below 30/class), outer london (rarely under 30 and then only for infants), just outside outer london (same as outer london) and Midlands - never under 30 for infants, juniors between 22-35/class. But I know friends who have classes of 14, and some who have classes of 41, so it varies wildly.

Imho its' only going to go up, with more and more teaching being taken over by unqualified staff, due to budget restraints in the UK. Its far too hit and miss whether its good or bad imho and experience, I certainly wouldn't return to the UK for education (one of the reasons we are leaving).
Thanks for this - very helpful indeed. I think we are pretty settled on Perth as our choice school-wise. State schools for a few years until they can get places at one of the private schools.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by webgum
Kapinara has no classes bigger than 30 I think. It's growing year on year and has a number of split classes eg. A 2/3, 3 and a 3/4 for this coming year. This means smaller no's in the classrooms. hope this helps!
Certainly a positive move. Mind you we feel quite spoiled........at the moment the kids (x3) each have no more than 20-22 (max) per class (not split either).