Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Price of Meat

The Price of Meat

Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:02 am
ABCDiamond

Default The Price of Meat

I was at the butchers earlier, buying a few things, and wondered how much the prices have changed over the years, so I googled "The Price of Meat" and found this thread in 2004... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235899 where I was paying $6.99 kg for rump steak

My prices today were:
$4.99 kg Pork Chops
$5.99 kg Rump Steak

Admittedly those are the cheapest prices, but for the high quality it would be this:

$10.95 kg Wagyu Topside Roast
$12.95 kg Black Angus Rump - Grain Fed
$13.95 kg Whole Yearling Rib Fillet - Grass Fed

Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Price of Meat

That is extremely cheap to what I pay here in the UK and I get a good price.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPE88
It's extremely cheap compared to what I pay in Australia, from butchers, supermarkets or otherwise.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember what the price was last week so how the hell can I go back to 2004?

I remember ULP being 1.14 in 2004. So petrol is still an absolute bargain.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I can't remember what the price was last week so how the hell can I go back to 2004?

There is prices quoted on there for today.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
It's extremely cheap compared to what I pay in Australia, from butchers, supermarkets or otherwise.
I buy direct from the abattoir and them prices make mine look expensive.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I was at the butchers earlier, buying a few things, and wondered how much the prices have changed over the years, so I googled "The Price of Meat" and found this thread in 2004... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235899 where I was paying $6.99 kg for rump steak

My prices today were:
$4.99 kg Pork Chops
$5.99 kg Rump Steak

Admittedly those are the cheapest prices, but for the high quality it would be this:

$10.95 kg Wagyu Topside Roast
$12.95 kg Black Angus Rump - Grain Fed
$13.95 kg Whole Yearling Rib Fillet - Grass Fed
The problem with cheap rump is that it is pretty tasteless. It's the only cut of steak that I would marinate - and marinate for a long time. Cheap pork shops are great when coated in pesto and pan fried.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I buy in bulk direct from an organic farmer here in Perth at prices cheaper than ABCD. Same for lamb and pork.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I remember petrol at 69.9c in 2003/4. That would've included the 8c or so Qld discount.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

So what is the average price over in OZ for meat?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I buy in bulk direct from an organic farmer here in Perth at prices cheaper than ABCD. Same for lamb and pork.
Australia keeps getting a better prospect, I eat a lot of meat, costs me a fortune in the UK.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

55l of diesel in my Jetta costs less than $75 and lasts me for just about 3 weeks. To fill the Navara and Jetta together costs $180-odd, or $45 a week. A litre of diesel costs me $1.35 and moves me 15kms - still a bargain if you think about it. Transport fuel is still cheap in reality when you consider what it does for you.

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 15th 2011 at 12:27 am.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:24 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

So what is the average price over in OZ for meat?
About double anything you see quoted by ABCD.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Australia keeps getting a better prospect, I eat a lot of meat, costs me a fortune in the UK.
I ring the guy up with my order, give him credit card details and it gets delivered to my door the next day. A side of beef works out at under $6/kg. We had scotch fillet for dinner last night that was just superb. I buy Merino lamb in bulk for about that too.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
About double anything you see quoted by ABCD.
Ouch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.