Yes, but don't tell her I said so
small world DB, small world.
Just answered your PM
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:11 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: The Price of Food in Australia

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Excellent thread ABCD.

So, what we realy need is someone to put together a "standard" shopping basket of goods that we can then all go out and price up so we can get an idea of costs here and in the UK.

Here are some to start us off:

White sliced bread (650 - 700g)
Full fat milk (2 litres)
Toothpaste (adult) - McCleans/Colgate or equivalent (150g)
4 pack, 2 ply toilet roll
Washing powder for front loader - OMO,Persil etc (1 Kg)
1 dozen eggs (not free range)
Tin of baked beans - Heinz (420g)
Rump steak (1 Kg)
Chicken breasts (1 Kg)
Smoked bacon (1 Kg)
Coke (2 litre)
bag of frozen peas (1 Kg)
Tub of strawberry yoghurt (1 Kg)
Fresh orange juice (1 litre)

Cheers,

DagBoy
Heres my local costs: (sorry but I can't stick to one shop although the first price options are from one. )

White sliced bread (650 - 700g) $1.49 Homebrand (but 75c at veg shop) or $2.48 for a good brand
Full fat milk (2 litres) $1.99 or $1.80 at Veg shop
Toothpaste (adult) - McCleans/Colgate or equivalent (150g) $1.99 Colgate 140gm
4 pack, 2 ply toilet roll $2.10 Homebrand or $2.55 Purex
Washing powder for front loader - OMO,Persil etc (1 Kg) $5.54 OMO 1kg concentrate
1 dozen eggs (not free range) $2.00 or $1.60 at veg shop
Tin of baked beans - Heinz (420g) $0.88 Heinz 420gm or $1.35 English Recipe
Rump steak (1 Kg) $18.00 !! ( Between $7 and $12 at butchers)
Chicken breasts (1 Kg) $10.47 Skinless (but cheaper at butchers)
Smoked bacon (1 Kg) $12.95 but cheaper at butchers
Coke (2 litre) $1.66
bag of frozen peas (1 Kg) $2.48 Birds Eye Sweet & juicy 1kg
Tub of strawberry yoghurt (1 Kg) $3.45 Yoplait Brand 1kg
Fresh orange juice (1 litre) $2.14

Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:17 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my first aussie shopping experience.

We have just got our own pad in Brissie so went along to woolies in Indro shopping centre. Got the essentials and a few cleaning products for the new place and the bill came to a whopping $200 (for the 2 of us). Well after my other half had picked me off the floor the same shop in Tescos cost us just over 40 quid. Guess we must have done something wrong but next time we go I will be checking out those prices much more closely.

cheers

TT

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The Price of Food in Australia

There have been a few threads on the cost of living recently, and some comparisons of weekly food bills; ranging from $100pw to almost $500pw

Obviously there are some differences, size of family, individual appetites, choice of shops, and even availability of shops etc.

Those of us here in Australia, and those that have been here but have gone back, can all give their own individual ideas of costs based on their own individual experiences.

If we start with breakfast: 2 weet-bix and a bit of milk, may be OK for some people, but others may want that PLUS a couple of eggs and a sausage, and of course a coffee or two, plus orange juice.

Lunch: someone may be happy with a couple of Cheese rolls with tomato, whilst someone else fancies a roast chicken and salad wrap.

Dinner: Maybe a 500gm steak with chips and peas, or Spagetti Bolognese, or Butter Chicken Curry, or a lobster with salad.

It is all going to be different, and at different prices.

I've heard it said that the family who spends only $100 can't be eating right, and for the family who spends 3 times that must be overeating. Neither comment may actually be accurate.

I can go to our local shops, and buy exactly the same things, in different shops, yet pay almost TWICE the price in one than the other, if I pick the wrong shop.

If anyone in the UK really wants to know the weekly cost, maybe they can post a breakdown of an example weekly food consumption list, and some others can state what some of those items actually cost.

Eg: Breakfast for the first example: Weet-Bix: box of 84 biscuits for $4.98 = 12c per 2 biscuit serve, add 100ml of milk at $1.90 per 2 litres thats another 10c. So that breakfast is 22c. But stick a couple of sausages (75c) at $3 for a pack 8 (1kg), and 2 eggs (33c) at $2 for 12, then breakfast becomes $1.30, not 22c.

Dinner: say Chicken and Chips: 1 Whole ready roasted chicken, who wants to use the oven in summer $8, and 1 kgs potatos to make some chips at between 50c and $3 per kg, say $1.50. So this dinner would cost $9.50 for a family of 3 or 4. Say $3 each. I'm sure someone could come up with an average Dinner costing $6 per head or more, without much trying.

That's how easy it is to get a major difference between avergae weekly costs. And that's without the differences between shop prices.

Just some food for thought
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:20 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

For example, we bought 2 steaks that were so big they wouldn't fit on a dinner plate (32lb ish I would guess) for $6.

Holy sh*t...thats what I call a steak !!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:25 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Curls
Do you have the problem of BSE (mad cow disease) over there?
Aussie food is the best quality in the world, we don't have all the diseases,
pollution and chemicals in the food they do over there like foot in mouth disease, mad cow disease and Chernobyl radiation which is still in the soil and
food all over Europe.

Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:41 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by worzel
On a slightly different tack, try shopping at the markets rather than Coles etc. Ok it is not as convenient but in Melbourne we went to the big market (Queen Victoria I think on the NE corner of the CBD) but ended up shopping there every few days. For example, we bought 2 steaks that were so big they wouldn't fit on a dinner plate (32lb ish I would guess) for $6.
Ah, convenience... well, time is money. Travel costs money too. You might end up spending more than you save going round hunting for the bargains, and spend a lot of time too.

And as for a 32lb steak, well Del Boy beat me to it. But even a 32oz steak would be monstrous IMHO.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
Aussie food is the best quality in the world, we don't have all the diseases,
pollution and chemicals in the food they do over there like foot in mouth disease, mad cow disease and Chernobyl radiation which is still in the soil and
food all over Europe.
You just have nuclear fallout from the SA nuke tests and no labelling requirements for GM foods. Do you really think Australian farmers use no chemicals? I have had better food elsewhere.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Del Boy
For example, we bought 2 steaks that were so big they wouldn't fit on a dinner plate (32lb ish I would guess) for $6.

Holy sh*t...thats what I call a steak !!
Must be an error, 32LB is a BIT big, would be more like 32oz. I normally buy Rump steak at about $7 kg (it's gone a bit recently) and that's about 35oz to the kg.

Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:03 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Here is my first aussie shopping experience.

We have just got our own pad in Brissie so went along to woolies in Indro shopping centre. Got the essentials and a few cleaning products for the new place and the bill came to a whopping $200 (for the 2 of us). Well after my other half had picked me off the floor the same shop in Tescos cost us just over 40 quid. Guess we must have done something wrong but next time we go I will be checking out those prices much more closely.

cheers

TT

Cleaning products etc will do it to you everytime. Some washing powder and a box of dishwasher tablets will add $10+ alone to your shop, start adding a few more bits and pieces and it'll soon add up I would imagine you bought, cloths, polish, toilet duck, mop, floor cleaner, stocked your freezer etc as well if its your first shop. If you still have the receipt, why not add up just the food items, would probably give you a more realistic idea.
You can get cleaning things cheaper from the likes of Crazy Clarks/Warehouse, just depends if its convenient. I tend to go there once a month and get air freshners, cling film, w'up liquid etc which helps. Having said that, I bought Coles own brand cling film for 77c y'day, not sure you'd get that much cheaper elsewhere
It is worth checking the prices too, especially when you're not used to it, thinsg can vary greatly. For example; cucumber (the UK type) $1.49 European cucumber (looks more like a corugette/zuchini to me) $3.29! Tastes almost the same to me, and in with the rest of the salad I'd rather be getting the larger, cheaper type

Last edited by mlbonner; Jan 20th 2005 at 4:08 am.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

In australia you never see "two for the price of one" or "buy 2 get one free"
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:16 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth

Very true - I think if you asked someone "do you do BOGOF's" they'd tell you where to go

Coles does "Dollar Dazzlers" and both Woolies & Coles do promotions on various items each week, usually saving cents rather than dollars. Occassionally you may also see 2 for $4 or similar.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:18 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

You must be shopping in the wrong places; I see these all the time! I was in Safeway only yesterday and there were plenty. I can't for the life of me remember what they all were as they weren't things that I was buying (or would ever buy), but there were certainly some types of bread.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:30 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I remeber once (in the last 2 years) getiing a BOGOF jar of coffee. I like the way on the catalogues in the mailbox from Woolies and Coles they always seem to picture two of each item then the price of one. Say a photo of two bottles of cordial and a Red Deal price of $2.49 - I still think they mean $2.49 for two.

I also like those Red Deals where it's like "Coffee $11.89, save 26c!".

Whoopy - dooo....
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Aussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really nice

This topic is very interesting but really is missing half the point.
Its ok to say Fish is cheaper in Australia and Baked beans are cheaper in the UK but really its whats left in your pocket to spend on food that counts.
If you are a bank teller how much do you EARN in the UK
and how much do you earn in Australia a week?
I find the food so much fresher in Australia and a few years ago was out of work and would eat well if i stayed away from take aways.
Local butcher does large savory minced beef meat balls for hamburgers 5 for $2.50.
With a few potatoes two veg we had a great meal{not fancy but filling} for $ 7.00 for two.
Infact we still have this meal as it is really tasty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.