Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Price comparison(s) with the UK

Price comparison(s) with the UK

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Price comparison(s) with the UK

Hi all,

Just stumbled across this TV for sale at the good guys

Sony 46-Inch 16:9 Hi-Scan® HDTV-Ready* Projection Television
Model: KP-46WT510

$1499 - 10% = $1350

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=192715

Converting to UK based on exchange rate = £510
Converting to UK based on (realistic) /2 ratio = £675

BUT the price for a similar TV in the UK is

SAMSUNG
SP46L5HX
46" Widescreen LCD Rear Projection TV

Currys Price £2,999.99

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...fm=3&sm=0&tm=4

Now perhaps these two TVs are not directly comparible, but for a what appears to be a similar TV, OZ beats the UK hands down

Dave
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:33 pm
ABCDiamond

You somehow got onto the Goodguys site in the USA

Not sure about the OZ price

http://www.goodguys.com.au/v3/index.cfm

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
You somehow got onto the Goodguys site in the USA

Not sure about the OZ price

http://www.goodguys.com.au/v3/index.cfm
Oh bu**er!!!!!

and there was me planning for a home cinema for £700!! - d'oh!!!

that'll teach me to post so damn quickly!!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:40 pm
ABCDiamond

Goodguys Australia do a:

Samsung
109cm Rear Projection TV for $2,999 and you should be able to get at least a 12% discount for cash. In that price they are also currently giving away a FREE set top box.

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Prices v. lifestyle

You don't have to look too far to get someone wondering about whether Australia is cheaper to live in than England or whether it's cheaper to stay at home.
You'll find some things dearer, others cheaper depending on what you "consume"
If you drink French champagne and eat genuine Camembert, your lifestyle will be dearer in Australia.
If you can put up with Australian wines, then your lifestyle will be cheaper by a mile!
Quite frankly, I feel some folk simply are missing the point.
Australia offers a whole new lifestyle to be enjoyed which isn't measured in dollars and cents (or pounds and pence!)
If money is the main issue, you'll be missing out on a lot that this beautiful country has to offer new people.
What moneytary value do you put on watching a desert sunset with all the reds and violets across the whole sky?
What value do you put on miles of golden sand and palm trees drooping into the South Pacific and know you are the only one to have been on that beach so far that day? . . . no footprints in the sand!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Goodguys Australia do a:

Samsung
109cm Rear Projection TV for $2,999 and you should be able to get at least a 12% discount for cash. In that price they are also currently giving away a FREE set top box.
Hopefully I have got it right but there is an LG 109cm rear projection TV for $1999. If you get say a 10% discount for cash this should mean that the equivalent in uk is between £680 and £900 - still cheaper than here

Cheers
Dave (hoping he hasnt screwed up again!!)
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:48 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

...and the same TV in UK is from GBP640

http://www.shopbizrate.co.uk/marketp...--8781879.html
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Australian Prices v. lifestyle

Originally posted by bob and ginnie
You don't have to look too far to get someone wondering about whether Australia is cheaper to live in than England or whether it's cheaper to stay at home.
If you drink French champagne and eat genuine Camembert, your lifestyle will be dearer in Australia.
If you can put up with Australian wines, then your lifestyle will be cheaper by a mile!
Australia offers a whole new lifestyle to be enjoyed which isn't measured in dollars and cents (or pounds and pence!)
If money is the main issue, you'll be missing out on a lot that this beautiful country has to offer new people.
What moneytary value do you put on watching a desert sunset with all the reds and violets across the whole sky?
What value do you put on miles of golden sand and palm trees drooping into the South Pacific and know you are the only one to have been on that beach so far that day? . . . no footprints in the sand!

Hi Guys,

Couldnt agree more - however performing a cost exercise about how much it is going to cost to set ourselves up in OZ is still an essential part of planning a move such as this.

Now obviously a rear projection TV isnt a neccesity (especially given OX tv ) but I was just researching prices and happened upon this comparision which I have stumbled upon

Dave
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jayr
...and the same TV in UK is from GBP640

http://www.shopbizrate.co.uk/marketp...--8781879.html

Fair play - thanks for that. I stand corrected!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that sounds wonderful particuarly as I am sat here fed up looking out at a grey sky in the UKweather forecast not very good for the next five days.Oh to walking along a deserted beach right now.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 8:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dreamaway 10
I have to say that sounds wonderful particuarly as I am sat here fed up looking out at a grey sky in the UKweather forecast not very good for the next five days.Oh to walking along a deserted beach right now.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've just seen the UK weather forecast for the weekend on the BBC web site.

Perth on Saturday is going to be 22 degrees.

I almost feel guilty just for being here.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 8:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by renth
I've just seen the UK weather forecast for the weekend on the BBC web site.

Perth on Saturday is going to be 22 degrees.

I almost feel guilty just for being here.
It's warmed up again here in Brisbane. I'm back in short sleeve shirts again

Old Jun 24th 2004, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It's warmed up again here in Brisbane. I'm back in short sleeve shirts again

Hubby is still wearing T shirts and shorts, he swears he is not going to wear trousers at all this year. I think I would dissolve if I ever went back to England, I would have to make a coat out of a Doona and wear it continuosly
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I never drink anything other than Australian wine, never had a bad bottle yet, which is more than I can say for French/Italian/South American

erm, about £5,500, which is what we spent on our last holiday, and this was just the 2 of us before junior arrived !

Sod the TV, it's looking more appealing by the minute
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by tinaj
Hubby is still wearing T shirts and shorts, he swears he is not going to wear trousers at all this year. I think I would dissolve if I ever went back to England, I would have to make a coat out of a Doona and wear it continuosly
It a bit cold here the other day. Those bay breezes are great in summer, but when we get a cold wind from the sea.... a bit chilly it was, in the shade, and of course IN the house !! Had to go outside in the sun to get warm