Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Priamry Schools - Pacific Pines, Coomera or Burleigh Waters?

Priamry Schools - Pacific Pines, Coomera or Burleigh Waters?

Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Default Priamry Schools - Pacific Pines, Coomera or Burleigh Waters?

Do any of you have children attending primary schools in either Coomera, Pacific Pines or Burleigh Waters? These are the areas which I am researching and unsure of schools and also what do these areas have to offer?

We have two children 6 and 3 and like many are looking for the outdoor lifestyle beach, parks etc.. Any advice thanks Nicky
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

parh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Priamry Schools - Pacific Pines, Coomera or Burleigh Waters?

Originally Posted by nbn8
Do any of you have children attending primary schools in either Coomera, Pacific Pines or Burleigh Waters? These are the areas which I am researching and unsure of schools and also what do these areas have to offer?

We have two children 6 and 3 and like many are looking for the outdoor lifestyle beach, parks etc.. Any advice thanks Nicky

Hi Nicky

2 of my 3 children are at Coomera State School (primary). My youngest started prep Jan 08 ( UK foundation) and has now just started Yr 1. My other daughter has done Yr 5 and has now just started yr6. My eldest has just left for high school but did the full yr7 here at Coomera. They all love school and all the teachers and teacher aides I've met have so far been great. The office staff are very friendly too. The school sits in very green grounds and has recently up graded all the play areas which are amazing, not like the concrete playgrounds of the UK, and all classrooms now have air-con.

Parents are invited to weekly assemblies and it's also appreciated if you volunteer to help out from time to time. Some classes look a little tired but they are all being improved term by term.

we have been here 13mths and haven't had any serious concerns and any questions I have had have been warmly received.

Parking can be a problem, like most schools I think, but I have always managed to find somewhere, just a slightly longer stroll to the gates!

Any other questions and I'll try and help, kind regards Paula
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by parh
Hi Nicky

2 of my 3 children are at Coomera State School (primary). My youngest started prep Jan 08 ( UK foundation) and has now just started Yr 1. My other daughter has done Yr 5 and has now just started yr6. My eldest has just left for high school but did the full yr7 here at Coomera. They all love school and all the teachers and teacher aides I've met have so far been great. The office staff are very friendly too. The school sits in very green grounds and has recently up graded all the play areas which are amazing, not like the concrete playgrounds of the UK, and all classrooms now have air-con.

Parents are invited to weekly assemblies and it's also appreciated if you volunteer to help out from time to time. Some classes look a little tired but they are all being improved term by term.

we have been here 13mths and haven't had any serious concerns and any questions I have had have been warmly received.

Parking can be a problem, like most schools I think, but I have always managed to find somewhere, just a slightly longer stroll to the gates!

Paula

Thanks for your reply. Do you live in Coomera? Did you stay anywhere else when you first arrived? Coomera, P Pines and Burleigh Waters are the three areas I think we have narrowed it down to. Do you know them all? Are there any + and - to them all? How far approx are they from the beaches? We are ultimately looking for a nice family orientated area with a nice school. Ideally we would love to be amongst families. thanks Nicky
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

parh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Nicky, have sent you a PM
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

springoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant future

Hi Nicky, have sent you a PM
Hello
Parh, would be very interested myself in info re primary schools as well as high schools in areas mentioned by Nicky. Have 3 daughters, 14yrs and twins of 5. Also any info on locality in relaton to beach would be great.
Ta very much
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Burleigh Waters is far closer to the beach than both Pacific Pines and Coomera. The latter two are further inland but Burleigh Waters is very close to the beach with some beautiful parks right on the beach at Burleigh Heads. Burleigh Waters sits just behind Burleigh Heads and is a wonderful area of the Southern Gold Coast. Plenty of wonderful parks for the younger ones and the beach at your doorstep.

A good Primary School in the area is this one:

http://caningerss.eq.edu.au/wcmss/

There is also Burleigh Heads State Primary School. I have not had children in either of these schools but have heard good things about Caningeraba Primary.

I have not lived in Coomera or Pacific Pines as they are both too far from the beach for us personally so have never looked into either of these areas. We like to be able to get to the beach within 5-10 minutes drive time so have chosen Mermaid Waters which is a suburb that borders Burleigh Waters.

Good luck with your decision. I know there are plenty of people on here that live in Pac Pines and Coomera areas and love it but for us its a bit too far inland.

Cheers
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

springoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by imanaussie
Burleigh Waters is far closer to the beach than both Pacific Pines and Coomera.
Cheers
Ta very much imanaussie. As lovely as we are sure QLD is, narrowing down where to live etc has been the hardest lol.
Great info, and ta for link.
Cheers

Last edited by springoz; Feb 7th 2009 at 10:03 am.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough

HI
We have a daughter 7yrs who started in Coomera State Primary in 2008 and just gone up to year 3.We think it is a really good school with brilliant staff and the school is set in green surroundings.CSPS is not a zoned school so if you live anywhere in driving distance your kids can pretty much attend there.Coomera is inland and about 20mins to the nearest beach.Burleigh heads is beautiful but can be expensive to buy into as so close to the beach.Pac pines is a huge sprawling estate and can be quite hilly but great if you like good views.Lots of Brits in Pac Pines too.
All areas have good and bad points, so its what suits you really.
Good luck in whatever area you decide.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about

Hi Nicky...
I totally know where you are coming from..
I moved to Pacific Pines when I got here and loved it..but my daughter didnt settle at school.
There are 1200 kids at the primary school..fab head and teachers but just too big..so I started to look around at other schools and areas to live..being a community nurse has given me heaps of opportunities to look at suburbs and housing etc.
For me, Pacific Pines is a lovely place to live but not walking or cycling distance to the beach..but only a 15 minute drive. Coomera a bit further out again..Burleigh Waters is a lovely suburb its older than Pac Pines. I have found Elanora and Currumbin Waters to be my fave suburbs..they are older very green and leafy..some parts are hilly with amazing views (but you pay for that) and near enough to the beach for a long walk or bike ride.
Schools..well my kids are now at Tallebudgera State School and we all love it..only 600 kids very friendly and fab teachers..extras that really steered me this way include air conditioned class rooms, girls can wear loose cotton dresses and boys have shirts rather than just polo shirts. Its an old school that could do with a coat of paint but looking past that..there are established mature trees providing much needed shelter for both the kids and the resident koalas. Theres a performing arts studio for the school rock band..(lessons by one of the teachers at lunch time) the grounds man is the drummer and they are so awesome to watch these confident kids performing everything from AC/DC to Led Zepplin..the school also has an aerobics team again organised by one of the teachers..theres a real sense of belonging and for kids that have difficulty settling in or have any issues at school they are a 'kidsmatter' school which is govt funded for mental health issues for kids..wow, I could keep goin but I reckon you will get the drift of what Im sayin..
Good luck with your search
Sarah xxxx
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Varsity is a fantastic school and a very vibrant, up and coming area. Close to the beach ( I am sorry but it takes 15 mins to get to the moroway from parts of Pac Pines never mind the beach!! Nearer 25 mins Id say..) But very good value for money re property there still to... An area really worth considering is Varsity....
Old Feb 7th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dolliedimples
Hi Nicky...
I moved to Pacific Pines when I got here and loved it..but my daughter didnt settle at school.
There are 1200 kids at the primary school..fab head and teachers but just too big..so I started to look around at other schools and areas to live..being a community nurse has given me heaps of opportunities to look at suburbs and housing etc.
For me, Pacific Pines is a lovely place to live but not walking or cycling distance to the beach..but only a 15 minute drive. Coomera a bit further out again..Burleigh Waters is a lovely suburb its older than Pac Pines. I have found Elanora and Currumbin Waters to be my fave suburbs..they are older very green and leafy..some parts are hilly with amazing views (but you pay for that) and near enough to the beach for a long walk or bike ride.
Schools..well my kids are now at Tallebudgera State School and we all love it..only 600 kids very friendly and fab teachers..extras that really steered me this way include air conditioned class rooms, girls can wear loose cotton dresses and boys have shirts rather than just polo shirts. Its an old school that could do with a coat of paint but looking past that..there are established mature trees providing much needed shelter for both the kids and the resident koalas. Theres a performing arts studio for the school rock band..(lessons by one of the teachers at lunch time) the grounds man is the drummer and they are so awesome to watch these confident kids performing everything from AC/DC to Led Zepplin..the school also has an aerobics team again organised by one of the teachers..theres a real sense of belonging and for kids that have difficulty settling in or have any issues at school they are a 'kidsmatter' school which is govt funded for mental health issues for kids..wow, I could keep goin but I reckon you will get the drift of what Im sayin..
Sarah xxxx
Thanks to everyone who has given me even more food for thought. Nic
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dolliedimples
Hi Nicky...
Sarah xxxx
Hi Sarah

Thanks for your comments I will certainly look at the other suburbs which you have mentioned. I have a few suburbs in mind which I have researched but I guess its not until you are out there that you can really make your mind up. thanks
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

bradburns2 is on a distinguished road

Hi Nicky

Hi Paula,

I can't believe that they have air con at your childrens school. It's great they should have them in every classroom. My daughters school doesn't have air con, neither do any of the other state schools i've asked about. Do all the schools in the Gold Coast have air con? I hope so because were hoping to move down that end soon. My daughter looks exhausted every day when i collect her and i think that air con would change this.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bradburns2
Hi Paula,

I can't believe that they have air con at your childrens school. It's great they should have them in every classroom. My daughters school doesn't have air con, neither do any of the other state schools i've asked about. Do all the schools in the Gold Coast have air con? I hope so because were hoping to move down that end soon. My daughter looks exhausted every day when i collect her and i think that air con would change this.
Very few do. It's not necessary imo. It's only hot/humid enough for air con for three months of the year and the schools are closed for half of that. Complete waste of money, spending it on something that would get used for such a short time, it costs a fortune to run and in all honesty, when the kids are sitting working, they do not want air con, my girls moan after having any sessions in the computer rooms, as they come out too cold and feel ill.

It's very unhealthy to spend too much time in aircon environment and the majority of classrooms have 3 or 4 ceiling fans which move the air enough.

Considering the lack of finances in education, I would rather the money was spent on teachers and resources, rather than expensive, unnecessary items.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

bradburns2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Very few do. It's not necessary imo. It's only hot/humid enough for air con for three months of the year and the schools are closed for half of that. Complete waste of money, spending it on something that would get used for such a short time, it costs a fortune to run and in all honesty, when the kids are sitting working, they do not want air con, my girls moan after having any sessions in the computer rooms, as they come out too cold and feel ill.

It's very unhealthy to spend too much time in aircon environment and the majority of classrooms have 3 or 4 ceiling fans which move the air enough
Considering the lack of finances in education, I would rather the money was spent on teachers and resources, rather than expensive, unnecessary items.

Just having air con on for the rest of the summer that the children are at school would be nice though, imo it is necessary.

It is also very unheathy to spend too much time in a hot classroom that doesn't even use the cieling fans that they do have.

I pay over $8,000 per year to education Queensland and so do a lot of other overseas students to send their kids to Qld schools, i can't see anywhere that they do spend the money, they don't even provide paper or tissues!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.