Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Previous Years as Temp. Resident

Previous Years as Temp. Resident

Old May 17th 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Previous Years as Temp. Resident

I have a Skilled Independent Residency Visa (ASCO 2231-17) but previously lived and worked for two years in Australia under temporary residence visas. Does this history help me at all for anything? I believe that their usefulness towards fulfilling the required two years' residence has expired but I am interested to find out if they count at all in any shape or form.
Old May 17th 2007, 2:30 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Previous Years as Temp. Resident

Originally Posted by discobay
I have a Skilled Independent Residency Visa (ASCO 2231-17) but previously lived and worked for two years in Australia under temporary residence visas. Does this history help me at all for anything? I believe that their usefulness towards fulfilling the required two years' residence has expired but I am interested to find out if they count at all in any shape or form.
I believe that under the new citizenship law which is expected 1 July that your past legal residence will count towards the new four year residence requirement to getting citizenship.

For example, under the new law you need 4 years legal residence in Aus before being eligible for citizenship. At least 12 months must be as a permanent resident so up to three years of previous legal residence can count.
Old May 17th 2007, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I have heard about the new law but don't have much detail to go on. I suspect that previous two years are too old to be useful. Do you have a link?
Old May 17th 2007, 3:50 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
I have heard about the new law but don't have much detail to go on. I suspect that previous two years are too old to be useful. Do you have a link?
It seems it won't count as the lawful residence needs to be immediately before applying for citizenship:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...ceRequirements