Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Prevention and cure for serious mozzie and sandfly bites

Prevention and cure for serious mozzie and sandfly bites

Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:36 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prevention and cure for serious mozzie and sandfly bites

The first year I was here I was plagued with mozzie bites but the last couple of years haven't been nearly as bad - either the mozzies have gone off my most delicious English blood, or I've stopped reacting as badly. However, whilst I always thought I was quite good about using repellent sprays since we arrived, I know that last year we were definitely better about using them, because of the dengue fever outbreak here.

When we occasionally do get an itchy bite, we use Stingose and that stops the itching quite effectively.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:11 pm
Cobbalobs

grossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
The first year I was here I was plagued with mozzie bites but the last couple of years haven't been nearly as bad - either the mozzies have gone off my most delicious English blood, or I've stopped reacting as badly. However, whilst I always thought I was quite good about using repellent sprays since we arrived, I know that last year we were definitely better about using them, because of the dengue fever outbreak here.

When we occasionally do get an itchy bite, we use Stingose and that stops the itching quite effectively.
Eurax Cream for the itch, stops it immediately, been using it for 2 yrs now and still works! $7 from any chemist.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:41 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grossenbol
Eurax Cream for the itch, stops it immediately, been using it for 2 yrs now and still works! $7 from any chemist.
Thanks for that, I'll have a look at the chemist!
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

"Told you so" - the creek is close enough to your house!

Summer in the bay is worse than winter. For relief also try a bath as hot as you can take it. For some bizarre reason that helps me. Anti histimines help when your going crazy. Bushmans seems better with sandflies than RID or OFF or Aeroguard based on non scientific test with 4 families on camping trip. Eau de mossie spray eh?? And old faithful of covering up near dusk.

You will improve - I was the same and each summer here either they bite me less or I react less (not sure which). That is til i go somewhere else and those mossie/flies don't recognise me and bite!
Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Thanks guys - loads of weird & wonderful solutions on here that I haven't heard of - just what I was hoping for so thanks a million. I have written them down and am going to click on the links and google this exciting sounding Bens safari / jungle formula. Like the sound of that!

I also suffered terribly when I first arrived - even had to go to A&E with a terribly infected mozzie bite....

I always use Avon - skin so soft body oil spray, they now do a skin so sof body oil bug spray...either way the mozzies hate it. It weas a doctor who told me about this. It smells nice and has worked for me. To the point where they now bite others rather than bite me.....
Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

We went over to Stradbroke island the other weekend and my legs are a real mess from sand flys

I've been told to get a vitamin b injection??

Mozzies don't bother me too much but now but sand flys are horrid
Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sorry to hear you are suffering!

Vit B complex is good - helps with stress as well!

Try Paw Paw ointment after the bite - comes in a red tube from the chemist.

Get a suntan! We always found you get loads of bites at the beginning of a holiday and they got less as you tanned.

As time goes by as the OP said you seem to get less bites - no fresh new blood!

I once got some bites in Caymen that nearly hospitalised me both my legs were covered, red blotches, swollen the works which is unusual as they don't tend to go for me! Turned out I had a reaction and allergy to whatever bit me - so heaven knows who the mozzie had had a go at before me! Anyway they pumped me full of anti-histamine, steriods and antibotics and let me fly the next day although I did sleep well on the plane!

Just keep an eye on them if you have loads that they don't get so infected you end up with celluosis (not sure of spelling but it's an infection under the skin!).

Take care!

KK
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Vitamin B 1 and its got to be at least 100 grams to be effective.

LibbyX
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys - can't believe how much I've been bitten given that our deck has a complete fly screen all the way around it!

I have taken Vitamin B complex for years (for PMT) and I take a seriously high dose, it has 150 grams of every B vitamin going and this is having absolutely no affect on the mozzies whatsoever. Tough little buggers!

Going to try all the remedies mentioned - also apparently you should never wear perfume and mozzies/sandflies prefer dark clothes!
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:10 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Vitamin B 1 and its got to be at least 100 grams to be effective.

LibbyX
I would avoid taking 100 grams of Vitamin B1 if I were you as it's likely to kill you stone dead. It would stop the itching though.

Now 100mg and you might be OK.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Drink more booze, worked for me
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Thanks guys - can't believe how much I've been bitten given that our deck has a complete fly screen all the way around it!
You are probably being bitten by the little black midges which caused to much trouble last summer.

Fly screens will not stop them and their bites are far worse and last for much longer than mosquitoes.

G
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

K what size are your flyscreen holes? As Grayling says its the midges/sandflies probably that are getting you and are prolific around mangroves etc like O Reagans Creek. Flyscreen is often just that - for flies and maybe mossies, not the little buggers that hurt. Yanks call them 'no see ums' for a good reason.

Really hope one of the remedies suggested helps as its bloomin' awful being covered in the plague! we'll play dot to dot next time i see you if you don't get on top of it
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
K what size are your flyscreen holes? As Grayling says its the midges/sandflies probably that are getting you and are prolific around mangroves etc like O Reagans Creek. Flyscreen is often just that - for flies and maybe mossies, not the little buggers that hurt. Yanks call them 'no see ums' for a good reason.

Really hope one of the remedies suggested helps as its bloomin' awful being covered in the plague! we'll play dot to dot next time i see you if you don't get on top of it
I have some midge bites from last summer that still flare up occasionally.

They itch like ***k and take months to go away completely
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

I got eaten alive one night at dusk last year - learned my lesson and make sure I'm covered up if I'm outdoors in the evenings now.

Lavender oil is soothing for the bites, plus antihistamines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.