Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Prevention and cure for serious mozzie and sandfly bites

Prevention and cure for serious mozzie and sandfly bites

Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Prevention and cure for serious mozzie and sandfly bites

Hi all,

I'm loving it here in Oz but I have to admit that insect bites are getting me down a bit.

At the moment I have 22 on one leg and about 10 on the other leg! My legs look terrible plus I'm waking up in the middle of the night itching!

I had read about insect bites but never expected them to be quite this bad.

I've researched remedies and preventative measures but wondered if there was any magic solution anyone on here knows of.

I've heard of taking a Vitamin B supplement but I already do this and thats obviously not working, I've tried mozzie coils, citronella candles, and smothering myself in all sorts of lotions & potions. I've given up wearing perfume as I hear the mozzies love it, and I've tried to stop wearing dark clothes as apparently they love them, too.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prevention and cure for serious mozzie and sandfly bites

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hi all,

I'm loving it here in Oz but I have to admit that insect bites are getting me down a bit.

At the moment I have 22 on one leg and about 10 on the other leg! My legs look terrible plus I'm waking up in the middle of the night itching!

I've researched remedies and preventative measures but wondered if there was any magic solution anyone on here knows of.

I've heard of taking a Vitamin B supplement but I already do this and thats obviously not working, I've tried mozzie coils, citronella candles, and smothering myself in all sorts of lotions & potions. I've given up wearing perfume as I hear the mozzies love it, and I've tried to stop wearing dark clothes as apparently they love them, too.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks.
If you are really having problems then it is time for the big guns. Google Ben's safari / jungle formula. NOTHING will bite you if that is properly applied. May have to get it from the States though. Very high in Deet so no use if you are expecting.....
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:36 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Get fly screens fitted.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rab
Get fly screens fitted.
To yourself?
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:40 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Anything else I can try?

Thanks.

Have you tried Calamine Lotion for the itching. Won't stop them biting you, but it DOES stop the itching.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:43 pm
native West Aussie

Genevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant future

Rid is excellent, both as a repellant and also on bites:
http://www.rid.com.au/

(and no, I don't work for the company, this is an endorsement from personal experience, the mozzies love me too!)
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:44 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

OFF! works for me keeping them away and doesnt smell bad.

and try Tiger Balm for the stings i findthat relieves them - it however stinks like deep heat :-)
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Mrs K - It does get better, trust me I used to react really badly to the bites but they're not so bad any more (famous last words!)

Here's a couple of links with advice (I had heard from someone that taking Black Walnut as a supplement is really good, heard about taking B12 too but have not heard anyone it worked for!)

http://www.ehow.com/how_2361953_repe...eat-bites.html

(I like the last tip ... avoid breathing )

And this thing is great - need to click as soon as you notice the bite.
http://www.mosquitoclick.com/

Should get it in most chemists - costs around $20 but lasted the whole summer for family of 4

Also keep an ice pack in the freezer and hold it over the bad bites - really takes the itch/swelling away.

Oh yeah, one last thing - make sure you use TROPICAL STRENGTH of whatever mozzie spray you're using
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Anything else I can try?

Thanks.
Vitamin B takes about three months before it will work (maybe )

found RID is the best for protection-cream not the spray
-
for itching use STOP ITCH or
make up 50/50 baby oil and Dettol
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shears

And this thing is great - need to click as soon as you notice the bite.
http://www.mosquitoclick.com/

Should get it in most chemists - costs around $20 but lasted the whole summer for family of 4
Personal experience says that you very quickly become immune to the clicker. Worked brilliantly for a couple of months then we'd click and ouch but it didn't stop the itch.

No advice you haven't already received Mrs Kiwi, just sympathy. Thankfully we rarely get bitten and in fact don't see that many mozzies and no sandflies around here for which I am exceedingly grateful.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Antihistamines will work on the swelling and itching. Take some hay fever medication.

Best of luck with it.

Mozzie zapper as well.... get a really good one. One that sucks.... good luck understanding that
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

White vinegar dabbed on the bite............ or was that for ant bites
Ah bugger it....its cheap enough to try
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:00 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Eat garlic - Apparently mozzies hate it. (So will your work-mates, but at least it'll stop the itching )
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Mrs Kiwi, sorry to hear about the nasty bites

Citronella apparently keeps the mozzies away - they do sell the processed forms of it in the chemists. It's natural, doesn't contain DEET, and smells like, you guessed it, lemon grass . Doesn't do that much for sandflies or midges though.

If you've already been bitten, you could pop over to the local doctor's and ask for a script for Dermovate (Clobetasol) 0.1% - it'll bulldoze the swelling down and limit the wheal/flare response.

Ozzieeagle's suggestion re. anti-histamines is worth considering too - Clarityne or Zyrtec can be bought off the counter without the need for a script.

Calamine works along the same principles as Tiger Balm - it cools/heats the skin, distracts us from scratching, and gives the patient temporary relief.

Good luck!
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys - loads of weird & wonderful solutions on here that I haven't heard of - just what I was hoping for so thanks a million. I have written them down and am going to click on the links and google this exciting sounding Bens safari / jungle formula. Like the sound of that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.