Prevention and cure for serious mozzie and sandfly bites

Prevention and cure for serious mozzie and sandfly bites

Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

lozzielol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prevention and cure for serious mozzie and sandfly bites

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hi all,

I'm loving it here in Oz but I have to admit that insect bites are getting me down a bit.

At the moment I have 22 on one leg and about 10 on the other leg! My legs look terrible plus I'm waking up in the middle of the night itching!

I had read about insect bites but never expected them to be quite this bad.

I've researched remedies and preventative measures but wondered if there was any magic solution anyone on here knows of.

I've heard of taking a Vitamin B supplement but I already do this and thats obviously not working, I've tried mozzie coils, citronella candles, and smothering myself in all sorts of lotions & potions. I've given up wearing perfume as I hear the mozzies love it, and I've tried to stop wearing dark clothes as apparently they love them, too.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks.
Hi Mrs Kiwi
Did you get hole of Bens Safari? I have over 100 bites and it's driving me crazy!!!
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself some antihistamine cream from the chemist, its cheap and work.
Dont put up with the itch.

Gems
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Hi....

some great advice here for you....

.have you noticed a lot ..well at least a few yards have .,..Aloe Vera plants..>? we grow them so we can break a bit off and rub it on our skin. it works.....good for sun burn too. you can buy the aloe aswell in cream and oil form. which is good for a large supply, but to me fresh is the way to go. good luck
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Oh Lozzielol, I do feel for you.

I googled Bens Safari but ironically the only country I found it for sale over the internet was in the UK! Don't reckon they need it there.

After you've been seriously bitten antihistamine cream/pills and calamine lotion/aloe vera are good to stop you feeling that crazy itch - to prevent being bitten I've found Bushmans mozzie cream is very good - but it has to be the 80% Deet version in the green tube, and apparently the cream is more effective than the spray so I've always used the cream.

Also, someone was telling me that after a while you build up an immunity to the "local" mozzies/sandflies in your home area and only get bitten when you go somewhere new, and it seems that has happened to me. Don't really get more than the odd bite at home anymore even if I have no Bushmans on, but when I went away for a weekend recently I came back covered in bites.

Hope you find something that works for you. Good luck.