British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Preventative Pest Spraying / rental (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/preventative-pest-spraying-rental-686212/)

Sunshine7 Sep 20th 2010 5:29 pm

Preventative Pest Spraying / rental

Just wondering how common it is for people to spray the house and garden (or rather get in a firm of professionals) as a preventative measure against spiders, roaches, ants, bees etc?

Our rental agent said it's very uncommon for anybody in WA to do this but I am going to arrange it myself anyway, especially since we have young children and lots of garden toys/play equipment.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks. :)

Genevieve Sep 20th 2010 5:51 pm

Re: Preventative Pest Spraying / rental

I'm in WA (Perthite born & bred) and the only people I've heard of who do this, are recent immigrants. Most of the locals would rather forgo the chemical residue for a few bugs.. I have friends who have kids, who even avoid chemical cleaners etc.

I don't know, maybe it's different if you're used to the wildlife, but nobody I know would spray their house.

Sunshine7 Sep 21st 2010 1:55 am

Thanks for the reply. I am worried about the chemical residue and I'm one of these people who mostly uses natural cleaners and toiletries/sunceam etc! The company assured me that it's safe once the chemicals have dried - I hope that's right.

I'm just worried about redbacks I suppose in case the children get bitten. Maybe I'd be better just asking them to do outside, the roof space and the garden play equipment. Not sure what to do now actually.

northernbird Sep 21st 2010 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Sunshine7 (Post 8863547)
Thanks for the reply. I am worried about the chemical residue and I'm one of these people who mostly uses natural cleaners and toiletries/sunceam etc! The company assured me that it's safe once the chemicals have dried - I hope that's right.

I'm just worried about redbacks I suppose in case the children get bitten. Maybe I'd be better just asking them to do outside, the roof space and the garden play equipment. Not sure what to do now actually.

I have been here 5 years and have seen maybe 5 redbacks. As long as you keep the place clean of spiders webs you will be fine. I go around all the windows with a brush. Now ants, don't get me on the bloody ants!

Cheetah7 Sep 21st 2010 2:36 am

I get the outside of my house sprayed, which keeps the roaches out and to a point, the ants.

We had shit loads of white tails when we moved in and I dont want them in the house Im afraid, been bitten a couple of times and reacted to it. I dont spray in the house, just the perimeter outside.

Wendy Sep 21st 2010 2:43 am

My Aunt has hers sprayed every year and has done since she moved here in 1987.

I don't get mine done professionally, but I do spray around the door frames etc with Mortein outdoor spray. Inside I have Raid Automatic (the natural one, not the one with pesticides). Haven't seen anything in the house since I started using it.

Theyes Sep 21st 2010 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 8863610)
My Aunt has hers sprayed every year and has done since she moved here in 1987.

I don't get mine done professionally, but I do spray around the door frames etc with Mortein outdoor spray. Inside I have Raid Automatic (the natural one, not the one with pesticides). Haven't seen anything in the house since I started using it.

I do much the same thing and apart from one spider (a huntsman in the curtains not a good thing :scaredhair: ) it's been pest free

LINZI Sep 21st 2010 2:55 am

I moved into my rental in January and the first thing i did was spray it inside and out professionally, i am in new south wales there was a fair few red backs about so i decided to get it done :blink:

But in Mackay Queensland we didnt once spray at either rentals we had :thumbup:

Just keep everything clean and tidy once sprayed if you do

Cheetah7 Sep 21st 2010 3:42 am

Before we sprayed we would have roaches coming in, no matter how clean I kept everything they would come in and I dont give a shit about them, they now die the moment they touch the outside perimeter.

And you have reminded me, time to get my annual termite inspection and insect spray done.

LINZI Sep 21st 2010 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 8863696)
Before we sprayed we would have roaches coming in, no matter how clean I kept everything they would come in and I dont give a shit about them, they now die the moment they touch the outside perimeter.

And you have reminded me, time to get my annual termite inspection and insect spray done.

Yes we have not got rid of them all together i still get a few now and again! i must admit they are gross here the cockroaches to the ones i used to get in mackay they where big and fast buggers now they are small and just plain yukky :thumbdown::eek: