Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Prescriptions and how it all works

Prescriptions and how it all works

Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Prescriptions and how it all works

I have a thyroid condition and need thyroxine.
My doc will give me a month's supply to take with me, which will give me a little leeway, but I will need to find a doc ASAP.

Question is: Do you need a prescription from a doc to purcahse meds?

Are there arrangements under medicare for things like thyroid conditions or do I need to find a private doc?

Thanks.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescriptions and how it all works

Originally Posted by iPom
My doc will give me a month's supply to take with me, which will give me a little leeway, but I will need to find a doc ASAP.

Are there arrangements under medicare for things like thyroid conditions or do I need to find a private doc?

Thanks.
I have an underactive thyroid, so have looked into it a little bit.

From what I can gather you go to a doctors and they issue you with a repeat prescription authorisation form. The pharmacy will then issue you a repeat prescription when required.

I may also be totally wrong though. I guess I'll find out when I get there. If I get there and find out first I'll let you know
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WendyC

From what I can gather you go to a doctors and they issue you with a repeat prescription authorisation form. The pharmacy will then issue you a repeat prescription when required.

I may also be totally wrong though. I guess I'll find out when I get there. If I get there and find out first I'll let you know
Thanks Wendy ... are you taking any medical info with you for your new doc?

I hear that Aus docs are waaaaay ahead on the thyroid compared to here, so treatment should be good!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wendy ... are you taking any medical info with you for your new doc?

I hear that Aus docs are waaaaay ahead on the thyroid compared to here, so treatment should be good!
I hope they find a miracle cure, I always forget to take my pills then feel crap for two weeks!!.

I'm still in two minds about taking any info with me. I always leave things to the last possible minute

No can't decide
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

the woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant future

I am on Thyroxine too, I was wondering if we can get it for free like we do here in the uk. I was planning to get as many months of medication as I could to take with me. Your doctor was a bit mean just giving you a months worth ! Can't you say you are going on a six month cruise

Jo x

Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the woodys
I am on Thyroxine too, I was wondering if we can get it for free like we do here in the uk. I was planning to get as many months of medication as I could to take with me. Your doctor was a bit mean just giving you a months worth ! Can't you say you are going on a six month cruise

Jo x

I don't think it's free, but there are lots of different types. Some info here

Can't seem to get my head round it

I'm going to try to get 3 months supply from the doctor before I go (more if poss )
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

I don't think it's free, but there are lots of different types. Some info here

Can't seem to get my head round it

I'm going to try to get 3 months supply from the doctor before I go (more if poss )
My Aussie hubby says that buying meds over there is much cheaper than it is here...
I think the trick is to try the brand that makes you feel good... There's a good thyroid board on the About.com boards which you can get lists of good thyroid docs.. I'm quite looking forward to it as my UK doc knows a lot less than I do about it all.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by the woodys

Jo x
Nice plan, Jo ... I'll play my sympathy card as he knows we're going... it's a very small village I live in!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

the woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant future

oh well it would have been worth a try ! i'll have to use it myself then, never knew i could be so deceitful!!

Nice plan, Jo ... I'll play my sympathy card as he knows we're going... it's a very small village I live in!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:18 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

According to our surgery receptionist, you are entitled to 3 months medication when emigrating
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

yeah that sounds about right i might try and get more if i can so you haven't got the worry about sorting out that for a while until you've settled in.

Originally Posted by paulf
According to our surgery receptionist, you are entitled to 3 months medication when emigrating
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for that Paul... I'll go and speak to the receptionist and see what I can do. Different surgeries have different rules I suppose, but if it's a blanket rule over all the NHS then that will be great.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:09 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Thanks.
Hi there ipom, I have just rang my local pharmacist to ask for you - they said the cost is $29.50 for 200mg box of 200. you can only obtain it with an oz gp's prescription.apparently there are diff strengths but this would give you and idea of what you're looking at, there is of course the extra cost of the gp consultation but that depends on the gp and I cant advise on that as I still havent registered with one yet! thyroxine IS apparently included on the PSB list ( a concession card for people with long term medical costs) but you do have to be a permanant resident to qualify for that and there is also a thing called the medicare safety net which also helps some with thier costs there is a website www.hic.gov.au that says it offers info - I havent looked at this site so I dont know exactly what info is on it but its address has been given on a medicare handout so may be of use to you.
hope this is useful
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I got when I left. I had 2 months supply left over from the previous prescription, so effectively had 5 months supply.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:41 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by squeezzii
there is also a thing called the medicare safety net which also helps some with thier costs there is a website www.hic.gov.au that says it offers info - I havent looked at this site so I dont know exactly what info is on it but its address has been given on a medicare handout so may be of use to you.
hope this is useful
PBS Safety net thresholds on Pharmaceutical benefits - Information from: http://www1.health.gov.au/pbs/contents/explain5.htm &

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...safety_net.htm

There are two safety net thresholds - one for general patients and the other for Concession Card patients.

The general patient safety net threshold for 2006 is $932.10 (2005 was $874.90). When patients and/or their families reach this amount, they can apply for a Safety Net Concession Card and pay only $4.70 per prescription for the rest of the calendar year.

The concessional safety net threshold for 2005 is $239.20 (this also applies to gold, white and orange card-holders under the RPBS). Once patients and/or their families reach this amount, they can apply for a Safety Net Entitlement Card and receive items free of charge for the rest of the calendar year.

For 2006, the co-payment for subsidised drugs will rise to $29.50 for general patients, and $4.70 for concession patients.

Brand premiums, therapeutic group premiums and special patient contributions do not count towards the safety net thresholds.

The thresholds may be adjusted on 1 January each year in line with inflation.

http://www.britzinoz.com/info/medical.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.