British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Prescriptions:do we stock up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/prescriptions-do-we-stock-up-111530/)

Mrs Baldbutts Sep 17th 2002 7:23 pm

Prescriptions:do we stock up

Hello every one,thought it was about time I posted to prove there's one sane one in the family (just)

Our son has mild asthma and eczema,nothing serious,but he uses certain lotions an potions available readily over here.
Mark (Baldbutts) has been searching to see if any past threads say if Medicare prescribes this for next to nothing or should we stock up now and take it en masse in the container as we get them for free here.
I have been watching this forum for a few weeks now-so fully expect a couple of answers telling us that Australia has the highest known cases of asthma & eczemza in the world so don't bother coming!
Any other answers will be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully post more soon
Jan

baldbutts Sep 17th 2002 7:26 pm

Re: Prescriptions:do we stock up

Oy where's me tea

Mrs Baldbutts Sep 17th 2002 7:29 pm

Any more of that Baldy ,and I'll tell everyone about you,the tub of flora and next door's cat

Emmy & Phil Sep 17th 2002 8:41 pm

Oh please tell, i'm sure we are all intrigued ; )

Emily

"Mrs Baldbutts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:417929.1032290960@britishexpats-
.com
    > Any more of that Baldy ,and I'll tell everyone about you,the tub of
    > flora and next door's cat
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

FOX Sep 17th 2002 8:44 pm

Somehow never thought he was a Mark!!!??!!!

tipper Sep 17th 2002 10:39 pm

hay mark dog with a bark, find it hard to picture you in one room and the trouble & strife in another surfing the hinter net,
does she laugh at your jokes or like my wife says i dont get that one. right missy hairy butt, my daughters the same, butt ive found that alow vera in its purest form helps. have you tried it. aloa vera-not shaving.
saw mark in a feild with a load of sheep he had his kecks round his anckles, I SHOUTED hay balldy are you shearing, he said NO get your bloody own.
tipper.

shaun/lor Sep 17th 2002 10:39 pm

Originally posted by Mrs Baldbutts:
Any more of that Baldy ,and I'll tell everyone about you,the tub of flora and next door's cat

cant you just smell the poshness too this family.
flora they use and thats just on the cat. while we have to struggle along with tescos own brand.
you baldys are just so upmarket, maybe we could call you sir and mam.
i bet you even bring out the butter at weekends dont ya.
it must be so nice to come from the posher part of england.
shaun xxx

Hills Sep 18th 2002 6:53 am

Mrs Baldbutts wrote:

> Hello every one,thought it was about time I posted to prove there's one
    > sane one in the family (just)
    > Our son has mild asthma and eczema,nothing serious,but he uses certain
    > lotions an potions available readily over here.
    > Mark (Baldbutts) has been searching to see if any past threads say if
    > Medicare prescribes this for next to nothing or should we stock up now
    > and take it en masse in the container as we get them for free here.
    > I have been watching this forum for a few weeks now-so fully expect a
    > couple of answers telling us that Australia has the highest known cases
    > of asthma & eczemza in the world so don't bother coming!
    > Any other answers will be greatly appreciated.

No medications are free :( unlike the UK
Those on the PBS (pharmaceutical benefits scheme) are subsidised, but
you're still looking at the $15-$20 mark for any prescription
medication/lotion/potion.

No.3 son's eczema cream (low dose cortisone) costs around the $15 per tube,
a course of antibiotics just over the $20 mark.

Bring some stocks with you, but not too much - Customs will make the
assessment as to whether the amounts are 'commercial quantities' and allow
or confiscate accordingly. Too much in the container, and they'll be asking
questions about your import licence :) A few months supply would be able to
be explained away.

LJ

Grub Sep 18th 2002 8:23 am

Love your avatar- why cant i find anything groovy like that!!

Let me know if you get any serious answers as am total hyperchondriac and may need an extra crate if have to cart all my lotions and potions out with me (no- not stay hard cream Mark).
Love
Me
xx

kango_jack Sep 18th 2002 11:55 am

Sorry to interupt the flow, getting back to prescritions I was planning to take at least a couple of months supplies of inhalers, etc for my asthma just in case there are any problems.
Also I understand that the contraceptive pill is not free over there so I was planning to try and take 6mths supply......just a thought for you girlies out there!
Annie

baldbutts Sep 18th 2002 5:07 pm

To Fox:so you're not sure about my name.My friends call me Skid,me mum calls me **** (work it out yourself)

To Tipper:No she don't laugh at me jokes,unless they involve me hurting meself (as long as no sheep involved).

To Shaun/Lor:Posh, us?Too right,we even pronounce the 'g' at the end of our adjectives.And how do you know we get the butter out at weekends?or have you watched 'Last Tango in Paris' too (oops! Butterfingers)

Got to go, the Butlers having trouble putting stockings on the sheep

Juls Sep 18th 2002 7:30 pm

Originally posted by Mrs Baldbutts:
Hello every one,thought it was about time I posted to prove there's one sane one in the family (just)

Our son has mild asthma and eczema,nothing serious,but he uses certain lotions an potions available readily over here.
Mark (Baldbutts) has been searching to see if any past threads say if Medicare prescribes this for next to nothing or should we stock up now and take it en masse in the container as we get them for free here.
I have been watching this forum for a few weeks now-so fully expect a couple of answers telling us that Australia has the highest known cases of asthma & eczemza in the world so don't bother coming!
Any other answers will be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully post more soon
Jan

Hi ya Jan,

My daughter also has mild eczema usually backs of knee's and elbows, and uses 1% Hydrocortisone cream when it flares up, and aqueous cream when her skins dry.
She is only 3 yrs old so her medication is free on the good old N.H.S. I've spoken to my rellies in Adelaide and they were saying that the creams are available over the counter for $9.
Not sure though what sizes these would be.

We have already started the stock pile of the Hydrocorisone so we'll have a couple of tubes to take with us.

We also hope that the change of air will do her skin good because we've noticed that when we've been on our hols that her skin improves (don't know if it's just coinsidence or not) but it certainly get's better.

Julie x
Adelaide by early 2003

Diane Sep 18th 2002 7:39 pm

HI

Good thinking. My son is on 3 different types of medicines which he goes through quite quickly and it's long term so a few extra prescriptions should set us up for a bit. Didn't know about contraceptiove pills being chargable. Yikes - I'll get some of them too, either that or there will be lots of little me's running round!!

Diane

Don Sep 18th 2002 7:45 pm

We also hope that the change of air will do her skin good because we've noticed that when we've been on our hols that her skin improves (don't know if it's just coinsidence or not) but it certainly get's better.

Julie x
No coincidence - moderate suntan and seawater rapidly cure eczema.

Don

cinderella Sep 18th 2002 8:55 pm

Hi all,

Stock up before you leave only because your perscriptions are free here for a child, not because you are worried that you will not be able to get the medication they need in Aus. We have just been over there for a month with 3 children, one who has eczema. I was able to buy a brilliant cream over the counter after talking to the Pharmacist with only 0.5% hydocortisone in it. The cost was about $10.00 I think.

Regards,

Cinderella