Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Preschool costs in Sydney

Preschool costs in Sydney

Old Nov 26th 2010, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of
Default Preschool costs in Sydney

We will be moving to Sydney in next few months on a state-sponsored 176 visa. Reading on different threads here, I now have some rough idea about the general cost of living in Oz. However, I am yet to figure out the costs of putting my 4 year old in a preschool. What are some of the schooling options and fee ranges? Sorry if the question is too broad, but at this moment I have no further clue to be anymore specific.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:04 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Preschool costs in Sydney

I suppose it will depend on the area you are in, but here (Sutherland Shire) I pay $70 per day for our four year old to be in pre-school. She only goes two days per week, but it certainly does eat in to the household budget.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

GracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really nice

Round my area (St George) the community preschools are around $35-50 a day. These preschools only do 9am-3pm and they seem to have waiting lists of around 18 months!! There are long day cares/nurseries that offer preschool programs too - these are $70+ a day but take from 7.30am-6.30pm (or similarish hours). There are also some prep school preschools but these are $$$ a year and you practically have to have the bub's name on the list when they are in-utero!! Aside from preschools there is also Occasional care (around $8ph or $25ish a day) and family day care (which I believe is a bit like a childminder? no idea of costs).

Of course depending on your circumstances you can look into the child care benefit and tax rebate which will reduce the fees if you work enough hours/study to qualify etc.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of

Thanks a lot LittleKittyCat and GracieK!