Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Prepaid Mobile Broadband while travelling Oz / NZ?

Prepaid Mobile Broadband while travelling Oz / NZ?

Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Prepaid Mobile Broadband while travelling Oz / NZ?

Next month I'll be coming over to Oz to spend 12 months traveling round on a Working Holiday Visa while we wait for our 175 PR to be approved.

We will be stopping in New Zealand for 3 weeks on out way also.

Question is, we would like to get some form of prepaid mobile broadband which we can use, but it seems to be a minefield of options. Can anyone recommend a decent provider who bundles say 3GB+ of allowance and doesn't expire for the full 12 months. I noticed Three do this for $129 for 12Gb but they have quite high charges when outside of a Three zone. For this how do you stop it accessing a non three network?

Basically though, any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Apr 11th 2009, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Prepaid Mobile Broadband while travelling Oz / NZ?

Originally Posted by AndyR
Next month I'll be coming over to Oz to spend 12 months traveling round on a Working Holiday Visa while we wait for our 175 PR to be approved.

We will be stopping in New Zealand for 3 weeks on out way also.

Question is, we would like to get some form of prepaid mobile broadband which we can use, but it seems to be a minefield of options. Can anyone recommend a decent provider who bundles say 3GB+ of allowance and doesn't expire for the full 12 months. I noticed Three do this for $129 for 12Gb but they have quite high charges when outside of a Three zone. For this how do you stop it accessing a non three network?

Basically though, any suggestions would be appreciated!
I don't know who is good - but avoid Dodo like the plague.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prepaid Mobile Broadband while travelling Oz / NZ?

3 will only work in metropolitan areas and probably best avoided if you are travelling. Best coverage is Telstra by a country mile but they charge an arm and a leg. Optus is a close second but Virgin use their towers and I have found them to be OK, marginally cheaper. Not sure that any of them have a 12 month expiry package though. Try the forums here http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/