Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Premium economy seats???

Premium economy seats???

Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold
Default Premium economy seats???

Having read the thread below about business class have decided that £20000 is far too much for business class to brisbane. Hubby has long legs and was wandering if anyone has any experience of premium economy as an option.
Would value all opinions. We have three young kids so any way to make things a little more comfortable on the flight. Would rather keep dosh saved by not flying business and spend on other things.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premium economy seats???

Originally Posted by maisey
Having read the thread below about business class have decided that £20000 is far too much for business class to brisbane. Hubby has long legs and was wandering if anyone has any experience of premium economy as an option.
Would value all opinions. We have three young kids so any way to make things a little more comfortable on the flight. Would rather keep dosh saved by not flying business and spend on other things.

My advice is book with Singapore airlines, then you can use the online seat booking 24 hours before you fly. Book the two seats near the exit doors, as there are no seats in front of you.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember that kids aren't allowed to sit in the emergency exit rows

Bulkhead seats would be another option but if there alot of babies on bard those will already be taking as they are where the cot things are.

Premium economy is only a BA thing as far as I know with Qantas introducing it next year so it may or not be an option for you depending on if BA fly to your destination
Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Newbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Just remember that kids aren't allowed to sit in the emergency exit rows

Bulkhead seats would be another option but if there alot of babies on bard those will already be taking as they are where the cot things are.

Premium economy is only a BA thing as far as I know with Qantas introducing it next year so it may or not be an option for you depending on if BA fly to your destination
Virgin also do Premium economy seats. There is a difference as the cabin is smaller but the seats wider and with extra legroom - still it does cost a fair penny. If no children then take Teliko advise.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

I did find this on the web comparing airlines premium economy
http://www.seatguru.com/charts/premium_economy.php#
I don't mind paying for the legroom but as said earlier I would not be able to sit near the exit with hubby so would end up looking after the kids 3,5 and 8 for the whole journey!
From further investigation premium is approx twice price of premium but 65% less than business.
If on premium he could have extra legroom and would be able to share the childcare too.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:12 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Virgin Premium Economy is far superior to BA World Traveller Plus - seats are better, cabin has dedicated crew, toilets and food just for PE, (BA doesnt) V Entertainment is cool too, but trust me - dont go BA WTP as its a waste but Virgin PE is worth the money.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
My advice is book with Singapore airlines, then you can use the online seat booking 24 hours before you fly. Book the two seats near the exit doors, as there are no seats in front of you.
Top tip that !
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:20 pm

oddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really nice

Did premium economy last Easter with BA although the one sector that was Qantas didn't have it, but we didn't have to pay the extra either!

Found it OK for the price although it's not really between Business class and economy more like a slightly enhanced economy. Slightly better legroom, slightly better seat pitch, slightly better seat width....

Food is, I think the same as economy and I would probably pay the extra £ again, although I don't seem to be able to get comfortable in the seats at all - I am 5'9".

Hope this helps.

Sarah
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:01 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Thai airways has premium economy cabins now with 42" pitch and 135 degree recline seats.

Virgin dont fly to Brisbane directly. Its SYD via Hong Kong and LHR. From Sydney its a virgin blue domestic flight to BNE which can make the trip quite long.

Air New Zealand offer a similar product too. But Thai seems to be the biggest seats but I've not been in the upgraded aircraft on that carrier.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower
Top tip that !
If Singapore online seat booking is anything like Emirates, then theres no guarantee that there will be seats available to change to, depends on how many have been preallocated. On 2 of our 6 legs we were very limited for choice on changing seats, on 1 leg, we were not able to change at all, whereas on the last leg, it was wide open, and we were able to choose the seats we wanted.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I would go for the premium economy any day over the straight economy. Sure it is not as good as flying business class but I found on British Airways at least the seats were slightly bigger and it was just so much more relaxing away from the disaster that is economy class.

The chances of being able to log on the night before and getting the exit row seats are likely to be slim. A lot of airlines tend to holds those for their "premium" frequent flyers.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:44 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I read this week that Qantas will be introducing Premium Economy on its new A380's. I assume you get a bigger seat but you also get a free self-service bar. For a 15% premium I would defo go for that.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I read this week that Qantas will be introducing Premium Economy on its new A380's. I assume you get a bigger seat but you also get a free self-service bar. For a 15% premium I would defo go for that.
Plus it is being introduced on their 747s.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:14 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Can you really book exit row seats online? I thought that the restrictions on who could sit there would preclude that.

How many in your party Maisey 7? Malaysia will fly you business to Brisbane for about 3200 pounds each. Premium economy is better than economy but the prices for premium ecomomy and business vary wildly, search the net and get a travel agent who is into searching for deals and you may find you can afford the upgrade, Oh and make sure that you join a frequent flyer program 'cause lounge access makes a large difference.

Seat guru is also a great site for the frequent traveller, get to know the tips and tricks and you will have a much more enjoyable journey.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the above there are five in our party. I cannot beleive how the prices differ so greatly. Air NewZealand seem to be reasonable just over £5000 to fly for five but 33 hour journey.
BA online quoted £10000 but with the last leg of the journey economy (8hrs or so)
Thai airways on line quote £13500 and virgin £15000 but not going to Brisbane but Sydney. Unable to get Singapore airline quote on line.
How do you join the frequent flyer club.
I think you might be right about getting agent to search for us.
Anything to make it more comfy for OH as big bloke and 6ft 2". He moaned when we went to Sri Lanka years ago - didn't sleep a wink. Me I'm ok as only 5ft2", kids fine too.
The product just varies so much!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.