Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pregnant wife flying to Oz

Pregnant wife flying to Oz

Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:25 am
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice
Default Pregnant wife flying to Oz

Hi all

Just a quick question whats the upper limit ( upto how many weeks) a pregnant woman is allowed to fly on a longhaul flight to Australia?

thanks all

des
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Pregnant wife flying to Oz

Have a looksee here as it varies from one airline to another:-

http://www.aircourier.co.uk/health3.htm

Check with your airline and also your doctor to be on the safe side.

HTH

Sara
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Des
Hi all

Just a quick question whats the upper limit ( upto how many weeks) a pregnant woman is allowed to fly on a longhaul flight to Australia?

thanks all

des
It depends on the airline - usually between 32-36wks. If it is later on (ie. close to those weeks) they may ask you to get a letter from your midwife (or GP) stating your gestation and that you are fit and healthy. The main risk is DVT because they are more common in pregnancy.

Rachel (midwife)
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Des
Hi all

thanks all

des
If u r really keen on the research, there was a recent article in the Aust NZ journal of Obs & Gynae. "Adverse outcome of pregnancy following air travel: a myth or a concern" by Chibber R, Al-Sibai MH, Qahtani N. (2006;46:24-8)

The essential findings were that primigravid women (ie those who had never given birth before) were at risk of preterm delivery and low birth weight infants. They comment that this may be to do with the oxygen levels in the plane, leading to a change in oxygen tension which may adversely affect the baby.

Now, if I were preggers and considering flying, would I fly knowing this info? Dunno - it'd depend on my personal situation.

PLEASE note - my comments do not constitute medical advice.

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Jul 20th 2006 at 9:49 am. Reason: can't spell
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RReed
It depends on the airline - usually between 32-36wks. If it is later on (ie. close to those weeks) they may ask you to get a letter from your midwife (or GP) stating your gestation and that you are fit and healthy. The main risk is DVT because they are more common in pregnancy.

Rachel (midwife)
Rachel is correct.

More common because of:
1. increased oestrogen in pregnancy (this impacts the blood's "stickiness")
2. reduced mobility (some women, particularly later stages of preg)
3. amniotic fluid can (rarely) cross into the mother's blood supply, also causing problems.

The big problem is that the clot (usually in the leg) moves around the body til it gets to the lungs where it gets stuck and causes a blockage. (Called a pulmonary embolus if you are interested)
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

zoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the rough

hi
i flew out (alone i may add!) last november at 5 and a half months pregnant and the limit with emirates was 6 months. it was ok (asides from not liking emirates, but that's not connected with being pregnant) and we have a 5 month old giggly boy now..
Old Jul 20th 2006, 5:01 pm
Emily, Luke and Libby

lewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud of

We flew home from oz when i was 32 weeks pregnant, I was told I was allowed to fly up until 36 weeks.
Was not the most comfortable journey though

kate

Originally Posted by Des
Hi all

thanks all

des
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:23 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Another consideration is insurance - a lot of places in UK would not insure past 26wks. We found that the AA did 2 yrs ago.

Ensure when you book the tickets you mention the pregnancy and for her to wear fitting outfit that shows off the bump as we were upgraded both ways to Economy premium on BA to Tobago & back - I was glad for the extra room (at around 28wks) and an isle seat was better for getting up to the toilet especially when the little un has a good work out on my bladder

I was also recommended to use flight socks.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 12:26 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Each airline has their own restrictions on the cut off point and also the stage at which theyrequire you to have medical clearance to fly. I flew with Singapore airlines at 28 weeks and 1 day, they were happy to carry me with no medical clearance, but i would not have been allowed to stop over in Singapore without a visa, or had we had a delay i would nothave been allowed to leave the airport, aparantly due to the fact they don't want "unexpected arrivals". The main problem i had was insurance, i could only find 1 company prepared to cover for over 28 weeks they were navigator insurance.

Lynn
Old Jul 21st 2006, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

I've flown at about 5 months. I personally wouldn't fly much later than 6 months. Some airlines are quite strict so I guess will depend on you airline as to how late your wife can fly.

I had a lovely air hostess - who was also a midwife - on board and she said if I felt out of breath at any time then she would give me some oxygen. Which luckily I didn't need but I felt a lot more relaxed knowing that I was being "looked after".
I also sat right at the back of the plane and in an aisle seat, so that I was close to the toilets as I needed to pee quite often. Also I took some extra bottles of water with me. You have to drink plenty.

So you drink lots then you go pee lots - this is good as it keeps you quite mobile during the flight so it minimises the possibility of DVT.

All the best.

Originally Posted by Des
Hi all

thanks all

des
Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Wow this takes me back. I was 23 weeks pregnant when I emigrated to Australia. I know have a one year old bubs.

I was comfortable enough flying then. I took 75mg of aspirin and wore dvt stockings. My GP told me not to take aspirin, but the midwife at the hospital said it was a good idea so I did. I was glad I did as the stockings were useless and kept falling down. I drank loads of water and walked to the toilet a whole lot.

Good luck with everything.
Katie
Old Jul 21st 2006, 5:19 pm
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice

hello all

thanks again we appreciate your help and opinions thats why we love britshexpats. we are hoping to fly singapore and emirates only ,singapore have an upper limit of 36 weeks with a doctor's letter.

thanks all

des & helen

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Wow this takes me back. I was 23 weeks pregnant when I emigrated to Australia. I know have a one year old bubs.

I was comfortable enough flying then. I took 75mg of aspirin and wore dvt stockings. My GP told me not to take aspirin, but the midwife at the hospital said it was a good idea so I did. I was glad I did as the stockings were useless and kept falling down. I drank loads of water and walked to the toilet a whole lot.

Good luck with everything.
Katie