Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pregnant while getting Visa

Pregnant while getting Visa

Old Sep 27th 2006, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pregnant while getting Visa

I am in the very early stages of my Visa application, I am just waiting to hear back from the TRA, and I have just found out that my Wife is pregnant, does this make any difference to the Visa
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:53 pm
done and dusted

maverik1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pregnant while getting Visa

Originally Posted by ukdarren22
I am in the very early stages of my Visa application, I am just waiting to hear back from the TRA, and I have just found out that my Wife is pregnant, does this make any difference to the Visa
you have to inform your CO as soon as poss, there is specific wording for this somewehre on www.immi.gov.au but i cant remember where
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:57 pm
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future

If you have to take medicals for your visa this will involve chest xrays, which I don't think you're meant to have done if you're pregnant. Good luck with it all, and congrats!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljk888
If you have to take medicals for your visa this will involve chest xrays, which I don't think you're meant to have done if you're pregnant. Good luck with it all, and congrats!
Congrats on the surprise!

From a medical perspective, you CAN have xrays. However, no-one will ask you to. There was a thread on this about 4 days ago.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:27 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

We found out that my wife was pregnant the same week we got our request for medicals. Just needed a letter from my wifes GP confiming she was pregnant and a due date, this was then forwarded by our agent with a covering letter to our CO and we are now doing our meds in Jan next year.

You can do the medicals but I believe the Xrays are not recommended if your wife is pregnant. Also, if you did your meds before the baby arrived, it can cause problems with your visa application and the possible cost of adding the little'un onto your application.

Good luck and congrats....

Dave and Cheryl (plus huge bump)
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:35 pm
A new Perthonian!

HellasAU is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Pregnant while getting Visa

Hi,

We've applied for a 457 visa and found out my partner is also pregnant. I've been advised by my agent that you usually have three choices when this happens. They are;

(1) She has the baby in the UK and comes to Australia once baby is born.
(2) She has an MRI scan instead of an X-Ray.
(3) She forgoes the X-Ray and has a full medical and HIV Blood Test, costing approx £132.50.

For us, Immigration chose option 3 and the medical and results are on the way as we speak. Because your wife is pregnant, you will find it pretty hard to find any radiologist who will conduct an X-Ray on a pregant woman as it harms the foetus, especially in the early stages.

Remember that although Immigration will consider a pregnancy as a "health issue", they aren't allowed to discriminate and will just want to make sure that she is fit and health. Also, you should be prepared for a few extra weeks delay whilst immigration do their checks. My partner looks like being granted her visa 4 - 8 weeks after mine.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:54 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely shouldn't have xray when pregnant, not worth the risk
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HellasAU
Hi,

We've applied for a 457 visa and found out my partner is also pregnant. I've been advised by my agent that you usually have three choices when this happens. They are;

(1) She has the baby in the UK and comes to Australia once baby is born.
(2) She has an MRI scan instead of an X-Ray.
(3) She forgoes the X-Ray and has a full medical and HIV Blood Test, costing approx £132.50.

For us, Immigration chose option 3 and the medical and results are on the way as we speak. Because your wife is pregnant, you will find it pretty hard to find any radiologist who will conduct an X-Ray on a pregant woman as it harms the foetus, especially in the early stages.

Remember that although Immigration will consider a pregnancy as a "health issue", they aren't allowed to discriminate and will just want to make sure that she is fit and health. Also, you should be prepared for a few extra weeks delay whilst immigration do their checks. My partner looks like being granted her visa 4 - 8 weeks after mine.

Hope this helps!
Not sure whether they would take this route for a permanent visa though.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Congrats on the surprise!

From a medical perspective, you CAN have xrays. However, no-one will ask you to. There was a thread on this about 4 days ago.

Cant you just wear the lead apron? when i was pregnant i had one on while my son was having an xray on his arm when he was a baby.
Mandy
Old Sep 27th 2006, 11:40 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I found out I was pregnant just before we were about to do our medicals (been requested). The CO accepted our word via email that we wanted to delay the medical and then add the baby to the visa, and this was allowed (without need for Drs letter).

When baby was born, got full birth cert, passport, I think we may have had to fill in another form (ask your CO when you get one), then a very basic medical for baby (when she was approx 6mths) when we had ours.

If you have your medicals, and visa granted before baby born, you either have to be in Oz for birth and baby becomes a citizen automatically or you have another fee and application for your baby if born outside Oz.

We were happy extending the process to avoid having to do a validation trip before we were ready to move.

the above is assuming you are applying for PR
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

I know timelines are shorter these days but I fell pregnant 2 months before sending the visa app (Feb 04). Medicals hadn't been requested by the time our son was born (Jul 04) and we informed the CO at that time and we just had to send a certified copy of his birth certificate and he was added to the application .

I don't think it get you anywhere to tell them upfront other than just be put to teh bottom of the pile and left there and if you get asked to go for medicals prior to the birth then that would be the time I would tell them and just put off the medicals till after bub is born.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
Definitely shouldn't have xray when pregnant, not worth the risk

Where's the evidence?

It's all about not wanting to be sued, not that there is any known harm from a CHEST xray.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Where's the evidence?

It's all about not wanting to be sued, not that there is any known harm from a CHEST xray.

Totally agree with you. For the average person on the street, having a one off x-ray carries insignificant risks to the unborn foetus. In fact you will probably get more risks with eating unpasturised cheeses.

And if your Wife is only a few weeks then the X-Ray Department will (or should) wrap an X-Ray skirt around her waist which should cover her family bits (including bub) for the short time you have the chest X-Ray.

At the end of the day, you have to have a chat with the Radiographer and make an informed decision for yourselves.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
I know timelines are shorter these days but I fell pregnant 2 months before sending the visa app (Feb 04). Medicals hadn't been requested by the time our son was born (Jul 04) and we informed the CO at that time and we just had to send a certified copy of his birth certificate and he was added to the application .

I don't think it get you anywhere to tell them upfront other than just be put to teh bottom of the pile and left there and if you get asked to go for medicals prior to the birth then that would be the time I would tell them and just put off the medicals till after bub is born.
I suppose it depends on what visa you're after, but I'm with Lucy on this one - I got pregnant just about when we heard back from Vetassess, we sent our visa application off when I was about 12 weeks. I haven't bothered to tell them as I figured we'd go to the bottom of the pile and with non-priority waiting times about 7 months we thought the baby would be here before meds were requested anyway.

As it happens, I'm due in 3 weeks and still no sign of a CO so we will just send off the details when he is born. If we *do* get meds requested beforehand we'll tell them then and ask them to give us an extension.

Good Luck with everything
Rach
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:36 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

I went for PR and discovered I was pregnant after we lodged. I filled out a 1022 form - change of circumstances and sent to DIMIA. On birth of child I sent another 1022 and a certified or original copy of birth certificate. Bub was included in the medicals (no x-ray, very basic) and added to the application. We are now the proud owners of 3 PR visas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.