Reload this Page >

Pregnant missus in Singapore

Pregnant missus in Singapore

Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Andysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pregnant missus in Singapore

Hi All,

We are off for our validation trip via Singapore this weekend, and having seen the previous posts regarding proof of expected date, I was wondering, what do you need to take with you as proof of when you are due, even if you are well under the date by which they consider you a "problem"?

Any "heads up" of your experiences would be appreciated!

Andy & Sue
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pregnant missus in Singapore

Originally Posted by Andysue
Hi All,

We are off for our validation trip via Singapore this weekend, and having seen the previous posts regarding proof of expected date, I was wondering, what do you need to take with you as proof of when you are due, even if you are well under the date by which they consider you a "problem"?

Andy & Sue
Hi I am due to fly in April, when all being well I will be 23 weeks pregnant when I arrive in Oz. I was told by the company I booked my flight with that it only at 6 months do you need to proof of due dates etc in Singapore.

I hope you have a good flight. I am not looking forward to it.

From katie
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Hi I am due to fly in April, when all being well I will be 23 weeks pregnant when I arrive in Oz. I was told by the company I booked my flight with that it only at 6 months do you need to proof of due dates etc in Singapore.

I hope you have a good flight. I am not looking forward to it.

From katie
Hi Katie,

I am sure you will be fine - see if you can get some extra legroom, though! I was wondering how they "assess" whether to pursue things or not. Do they take your word for it in terms of dates?

andy
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Thanks I am sure will be fine, I will ask at the check in desk about extra leg room, maybe they will take pity on me.

As for taking your word for it. I hope so. The airline have asked me to supply a doctors letter stating I am ok to fly, which I will ask to have my dates put in it, just in case they get a bit fussy. I am due to have my 22 week scan the friday before we fly so I will get it sorted then.

Maybe your GP could supply a letter with your dates just in case they ask.

I hope you have a lovely time. You must be excited. I know I am and I am not going for two weeks.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:22 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Thanks I am sure will be fine, I will ask at the check in desk about extra leg room, maybe they will take pity on me.

As for taking your word for it. I hope so. The airline have asked me to supply a doctors letter stating I am ok to fly, which I will ask to have my dates put in it, just in case they get a bit fussy. I am due to have my 22 week scan the friday before we fly so I will get it sorted then.

Maybe your GP could supply a letter with your dates just in case they ask.

I hope you have a lovely time. You must be excited. I know I am and I am not going for two weeks.

I'm sure there was a post all about this sometime before Christmas, might be helpful to do a search.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

AvronW is on a distinguished road

Hi Katie,

I am sure you will be fine - see if you can get some extra legroom, though! I was wondering how they "assess" whether to pursue things or not. Do they take your word for it in terms of dates?

andy
Well, we went through this adventure last year... and it does get tricky.

The normal last week you are allowed to fly with most airlines is around 28 weeks. Remember this stands for your return leg too, so the airline can refuse to allow you to return if you look or are beyond that stage. (We had friends who had this happen to them)!

Singapore have a policy that if you are transitting there (i.e. even if the plane only stops to refuel), you need to get a visitors visa. It's free, but takes about 2 weeks and requires a letter of good health from your GP, which can be a trick as most GP's are reluctant to speculate in writing that all should still be okay in 2-3 weeks time.

You could sneak by without all this, but generally if you look well pregnant, the airline can ask for evidence of the expected delivery date and a doctors letter to state it is safe to travel.

As you get close to the 28 weeks or are unusually large, things can get complicated.

-Avron
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Having worked for airlines I can assure you that they are not interested in your pregnancy until you hit the 28-32 week mark (depends on carrier and length of flight). Only at this point will you be required to provide a 'fitness to fly certificate' from your GP and again you would probably need to do that only on longhaul flights at 28-30 weeks (ish).

It may be worth asking for an extra legroom seat, however, if you are visibly pregnant then you will not be allocated a seat adjacent to an exit as you would not be considered to be an 'able bodied passenger' (ie. someone who could assist in the evacuation of the aircraft if required). The airline could allocate you a seat at a 'bulkhead' though which would mean that you would not have anyone reclining on you during the flight.

I flew to MEL when I was 22 weeks pregnant and I was fine throughout the flight. Try and ensure that you drink plenty of water (bit of a pain with the loo visits though) and walk around as DVT (although rare - despite the publicity in the UK) is more likely to occur in pregnant ladies and the movement will assist in preventing this condition.

Good luck.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pipers Mummy
Having worked for airlines I can assure you that they are not interested in your pregnancy until you hit the 28-32 week mark (depends on carrier and length of flight). Only at this point will you be required to provide a 'fitness to fly certificate' from your GP and again you would probably need to do that only on longhaul flights at 28-30 weeks (ish).

It may be worth asking for an extra legroom seat, however, if you are visibly pregnant then you will not be allocated a seat adjacent to an exit as you would not be considered to be an 'able bodied passenger' (ie. someone who could assist in the evacuation of the aircraft if required). The airline could allocate you a seat at a 'bulkhead' though which would mean that you would not have anyone reclining on you during the flight.

I flew to MEL when I was 22 weeks pregnant and I was fine throughout the flight. Try and ensure that you drink plenty of water (bit of a pain with the loo visits though) and walk around as DVT (although rare - despite the publicity in the UK) is more likely to occur in pregnant ladies and the movement will assist in preventing this condition.

Good luck.

just a word of caution I know as a Midwife, some of the Docs have stopped issuing 'fitness to fly' certificates based on advice from their medical defence union. I would advise any pregnant lady to consider wearing compression tights or stockings for that sort of flight in addition to your advice.

Chris
Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Hi All,

Andy & Sue
I would agree with Chris (fellow midwife!) re. DVT risk. Take your hand-held maternity notes with you. Then you will have evidence of dates if needed and if anything should happen during your trip the medical staff will have your information (eg. blood group). Talking from experience, it is a nightmare when someone on holiday turns up at the hospital without notes needing urgent care. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Rachel
Old Mar 18th 2005, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RReed
I would agree with Chris (fellow midwife!) re. DVT risk. Take your hand-held maternity notes with you. Then you will have evidence of dates if needed and if anything should happen during your trip the medical staff will have your information (eg. blood group). Talking from experience, it is a nightmare when someone on holiday turns up at the hospital without notes needing urgent care. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Rachel
Thanks to you all for your great advice. We are only 19 weeks so well within the limit but I think taking the notes is a good idea.

Thanks for all your help!

Andy
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the advice. I have some dvt stockings from my GP. I am also taking photocopies of my notes for the docs in Oz to see. I am going to ask for an aisle seat so I can walk up and down the plane.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 8:08 am
Just Joined

mcdst is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Pregnant missus in Singapore

Having read various posts before travelling I was concerned about some of the same issues. However, I flew to Sydney last Thursday from Edinburgh with Singapore Airlines via Singapore when 31 weeks pregnant. I obtained a GP "fitness to fly" certificate but was never asked for this at check-in nor throughout the flight/transfers. On the London-Singapore leg, we asked the stewardess for more room due to my pregnancy and she was kind enough to move us to an empty row of 4 seats. My husband explained I was pregnant but this did not result in any awkward questions or hassle. They were very accommodating. You should be fine on the flight but I would suggest waiting till you are on the plane before trying to get more space and not at check-in.

As regards, the special transfer visa in Singapore, we were advised by Singapore Air not to bother if we did not plan a stop-over. As we only had two hours between flights, we just thought we would risk it and no one quizzed us on arrival or on departure.

Good luck.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 8:24 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

we spent a week in Singapore on the way back to the UK in 2000, and were issued a short visa at the airport iirc. My wife wasn`t pregnant then though.