Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pregnant on a 457 visa

Pregnant on a 457 visa

Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Kelly C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pregnant on a 457 visa

Why do things happen when you least expect it? Husband has been gone for nearly two weeks and just found out that those feelings are not the heartbreak of being on my own until i meet him in Perth at the end of August but pregnancy (argh!)! I found out on Sunday so only just sinking in as to what the implications will be when i get to Perth. Can anyone help me in terms of hospital costs, entitlements (probably none) or anything that i may need to know? By the time i get to Perth i will be 4 months gone so now have potential earnings limited as who is going to employ a pregnant woman so will be stuck temping - not the way i envisioned it but never the less first baby will be very exciting - just a shame we will probably be skint during it!
Kelly
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:43 pm
skye

Default Re: Pregnant on a 457 visa

Cant answer your question sorry! but congratulations!!

Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kelly

i have just sent you a private message

lindzixxx
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelly C
I found out on Sunday so only just sinking in as to what the implications will be when i get to Perth. Can anyone help me in terms of hospital costs, entitlements (probably none) or anything that i may need to know? By the time i get to Perth i will be 4 months gone so now have potential earnings limited as who is going to employ a pregnant woman so will be stuck temping - not the way i envisioned it but never the less first baby will be very exciting - just a shame we will probably be skint during it!
Congratulations on the baby. However because you will be on a 457 visa:

- No entitlements
- You will only have limited reciprocal Medicare cover (at best) and this may not cover pregnancy
- The baby will not be an Australian citizen by birth.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Niecey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kelly

I'm on a temporary visa with reciprocal medicare entitlements and the only thing I had to pay for during my pregnancy and birth last year, was the cost of a scan, I'm in Melbourne but I presume it will be the same in Perth.

Congrats
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:31 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Niecey
Hi Kelly

I'm on a temporary visa with reciprocal medicare entitlements and the only thing I had to pay for during my pregnancy and birth last year, was the cost of a scan, I'm in Melbourne but I presume it will be the same in Perth.

Congrats
That is the same here in NSW - my wife had our youngest here last year and only had to pay for the scan...(we are on a 457 too)
Congratulations and good luck!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 2:00 am
Just Joined

falkirkbairn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We're in Perth and I had my son while we were on a 457 visa with reciprocal medicare. The only thing we paid for was the 12 week NT scan.

Congratulations!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud of

Congrats

Jules
Old Jun 15th 2007, 5:30 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Just make sure your country has a reciprocal health agreement. If you're in the UK you're fine.

Not everyone on here is from the UK. I came from Canada and as far as I know there is no agreement with them.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield (UK) -> Kitchener (Canada) -> Perth (Aus)
DimWit17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by comet555
Just make sure your country has a reciprocal health agreement. If you're in the UK you're fine.

Not everyone on here is from the UK. I came from Canada and as far as I know there is no agreement with them.
Well we are going on 457 visa and hoping to apply to become PR under the ENS scheme after we arrive. My wife wants to start planning to have another one before she hits 35. I'm canadian and she is british so my question is Will the reciprocal health agreement work in this case?

Plus does the baby become Canadian or British if we are still on the 457 visa when he or she is born?
Old Jun 15th 2007, 10:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DimWit17
Well we are going on 457 visa and hoping to apply to become PR under the ENS scheme after we arrive. My wife wants to start planning to have another one before she hits 35. I'm canadian and she is british so my question is Will the reciprocal health agreement work in this case?

Plus does the baby become Canadian or British if we are still on the 457 visa when he or she is born?
Bear in mind that if wife is pregnant, it may not be possible to do medicals for ENS.

Will the reciprocal agreement work? Where are you currently living - Canada or UK?

As to whether baby will be Canadian or British - how did each of you get your Canadian and British citizenship? (eg where were you born?)
Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Bear in mind that if wife is pregnant, it may not be possible to do medicals for ENS.

Will the reciprocal agreement work? Where are you currently living - Canada or UK?

As to whether baby will be Canadian or British - how did each of you get your Canadian and British citizenship? (eg where were you born?)
I'm a born Canadian and my wife is British (born in UK), which citizenship does the baby take? I married my wife in UK whilst working there and we moved back to Canada two years ago. Now we are planning to move to Perth.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

I'm a born Canadian and my wife is British (born in UK), which citizenship does the baby take? I married my wife in UK whilst working there and we moved back to Canada two years ago. Now we are planning to move to Perth.
If born in Australia baby would be Canadian (by descent) and British (by descent). And if you had a permanent visa, such as ENS, also Australian by birth.

Wife may not be eligible for reciprocal Medicare if she is a former resident of Canada. Also - does she have permanent resident status in Canada? If so, has she thought about becoming a Canadian citizen before she leaves?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
If born in Australia baby would be Canadian (by descent) and British (by descent). And if you had a permanent visa, such as ENS, also Australian by birth.

Wife may not be eligible for reciprocal Medicare if she is a former resident of Canada. Also - does she have permanent resident status in Canada? If so, has she thought about becoming a Canadian citizen before she leaves?
She'll have to wait another 2 years for the Citizenship. Canadians don't have reciprocal Medicare benefits anyway.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 3:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

She'll have to wait another 2 years for the Citizenship. Canadians don't have reciprocal Medicare benefits anyway.
There are other reasons to keep open her options to return to Canada!

What happens if one of your children, as an adult, decides to return to Canada and she is unable to join the child (or even spend extended vacations) because of immigration laws?

If she decides to wait the extra time (1 year to wait, then around 1 year processing time), you could organise an Australian permanent visa like 136 in that time if you were prepared to validate it with a holiday.

So you could then arrive in Australia with permanent visas from Day One (no 457 hassles) and a Canadian passport sorted out for your wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.