Reload this Page >

Pregnancy In Oz Advice ?

Pregnancy In Oz Advice ?

Old Dec 16th 2004, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

MikeMc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pregnancy In Oz Advice ?

Joke in there somewhere.......

Me & the missus are almost there - docs submitted, agent looking at the next couple of months.

The missus wants to breed (her term) whats the standing regards help, hospitals if less than 2 years ? Oh and employers too.......Am I entitled to leave also same as uk ?

Thanks
Old Dec 16th 2004, 11:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnancy In Oz Advice ?

Originally Posted by MikeMc

Me & the missus are almost there - docs submitted, agent looking at the next couple of months.

The missus wants to breed (her term) whats the standing regards help, hospitals if less than 2 years ? Oh and employers too.......Am I entitled to leave also same as uk ?

Thanks
The bottom line is:

- the 2 year wait does not apply for Medicare
- as PRs you'll be eligible for most/all Centrelink benefits to new mothers.
- the baby will have Australian citizenship (as you'll have PR, with child born in Australia) and won't need a visa

All the above assumes you're going to go on a permanent visa. If you're going on SIR or some other temporary visa like 457 the answers will be different.

Jeremy
Old Dec 16th 2004, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Not sure about paternity leave, you wouldn't get any paid leave that's for sure unless you worked for a pretty cool company, maybe the government sectors do it, I'm not sure. Maternity leave is unpaid for 12 months as a general rule of thumb.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

loulou74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I havent posted for nearly two years as have been busy living! Migrated to Perth nearly 2 yrs ago now. Did all the usual things. Got a great job. I must be the only person EVER to have got a pay increase by moving to Oz. I work for the government as a drug and alcohol counsellor and its fab. I got pregnant pretty much as soon as I started work there and they have been amazing. I had a nightmare pregnancy and they acted like a surrogate family for me. I am now on maternity leave. You are entitled to up to a year UNPAID maternity leave, but because I work for the government I got 6 wks paid leave, which is unusual for most people.

The healthcare over here is totally outstanding. I had a pre-exsisting medical condition and they kept a really close eye on me. I went into labour at 31wks and spent time at King Edwards hosptial in centre of Perth. They managed to stop the contractions and was allowed home on bed rest. When I did go into labour at 36 wks, again King Edwards were great. Unfortunately our baby was born with Tracheal Oesphageal Fistula, which means his oesphagus ended in a blind pouch. So he was rushed to Princess Margaret Childrens Hospital for surgery. REALLY AMAZING. I honestly believe that the care both my husband and I recieved for ourselves was outstandiing and the continueing care for our baby is second to none. Basically if you are unlucky enough for things to go wrong Perth is a great place to be.

Good luck

Louise
Old Dec 17th 2004, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

MikeMc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply everyone - were are going over on full visa's.

Least I have an idea of what to expect and to have some monies set aside.

Thanks again
Old Dec 17th 2004, 7:11 am
owieb

Originally Posted by MikeMc

Thanks
My wife is allowed to take 12 months off i.e. they have to hold her job for that period of time. She was also lucky and got 3 months paid maternity leave; but as I understand it not all companies do this and it is not a compulsory requirement for companies to provide maternity pay.

Checkout http://www.hreoc.gov.au/info_for_teachers/pregnancy/ for some info on it.

Old Dec 18th 2004, 10:26 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I also get 12 wks full pay or 24 wks half pay but I have to work for 1 year prior to taking. I start my maternity leave 1yr to the day of starting how close is that!!! I am taking a full year off work and there will be a job to go back to but maybe not the same one.

Jo