Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

pregnancy and giving birth in oz on Temporary visa

pregnancy and giving birth in oz on Temporary visa

Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

RussellCat will become famous soon enough
Default pregnancy and giving birth in oz on Temporary visa

Does anybody have any advice on this subject, My husband and I have been in Oz for 4 months and are keen to start a family sooner rather than later.

We are on a 475 visa (3 years-can apply for residency after 2) What kind of health care (if any) would we be entitled to? I'm pretty sure there is no child benefit, any good advice greatly received!

Also would the child automatically be an Australian Citizen?

Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pregnancy and giving birth in oz on Temporary visa

Originally Posted by RussellCat
We are on a 475 visa (3 years-can apply for residency after 2) What kind of health care (if any) would we be entitled to?
None, apart from limited reciprocal Medicare, if you are eligible for that. Alternatively, if you have applied for a permanent visa, you are eligible for full Medicare.

I'm pretty sure there is no child benefit, any good advice greatly received!
No benefits, as far as I know. But check on Centrelink website.

Also would the child automatically be an Australian Citizen?

No!

And also give consideration that if the child were to have health problems, there is a risk it would cause complications for your PR visa application. Not as much of a risk as in other temporary situations, as you have a 475 visa that leads to the 887 visa (which has a health waiver) but a risk nonetheless.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:57 am
ABCDiamond

Reciprocal Health Care Agreements
The longer a visitor stays in Australia, the greater the range of services that are likely to be immediately necessary and that should be made available (ie: they will be treated more like Australian residents).
Where there is doubt over individual services, patients should seek a note from the doctor indicating the medical necessity for the proposed service.

Maternity Services for Long Stay Visitor (ie: over 9 months)
Confinements and antenatal care are covered, including routine ultrasound. Tests such as chromosome sampling where medically indicated (eg: where the mother is in an at risk age group or there is a family history of deformities)

Issue date 01-Nov-2004
Review date 27-Jan-2010
File No. 98/4119-2

Old Jun 30th 2009, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search on this forum.
Several people have had babies in Australia whilst on a 457 visa.
If you have UK agreement it should be free as long as you go to a state hospital. However you may have to pay for some things first eg ultrasound,gp visits and then reclaim some of the cost at medicare.

I was told by city and rural hospitals that they treat the medicare agreement card the same as the Aussie one. Ive not used it for pregnancy though, but have used it for operations and consultations.

Gems
Old Jun 30th 2009, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

RussellCat will become famous soon enough

Hi Thanks for the info. I have tried doing a search on the forum, but was churning up stuff from NZ and Canada - obviously don't have hours on my hands to search.

These are good points - thanks, it's a lot to think about.

What are peoples opinion of private health cover? I was looking at Mutual Community or Medibank - are these worth it? I'm normally in perfect health - although I wear glasses/contacts and could probably to with getting a dental check up.

Any thoughts? It just seems a minefield to me!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing with private cover for Maternity is you are usually left with big gap.
Have you got say a couple of thousand dollars to hand over?
The OB doctors have their own payment schedule for private, and this almost always involves a large out of pocket cost.

You would need to check with individual OB doctors and hospitals for how much out of pocket expense. If you have not got spare couple of thousand, Id consider state care.

Gems
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Try these website forums to speak with mothers in your area who will know about the benefits of state or private births.
They will have a sections on private insurance and hospitals.

www.birth.com.au

www.bubhub.com.au

Gems
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

ABC Diamond, can you tell me exactly where to find that info on long stay visitors and antenatal care so I can print it off. Ta very much!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 3:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Flutterby
ABC Diamond, can you tell me exactly where to find that info on long stay visitors and antenatal care so I can print it off. Ta very much!
http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/policie...PD2005_398.pdf

Even though it is at a NSW government site, Medicare is a federal policy.

I do hear that a lot of people 'choose' public for childbirth rather than private, even when they have insurance.

Old Jul 1st 2009, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/policie...PD2005_398.pdf

Even though it is at a NSW government site, Medicare is a federal policy.

I do hear that a lot of people 'choose' public for childbirth rather than private, even when they have insurance.
Thanks for that!