Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pregnancy in first 2 years

Pregnancy in first 2 years

Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pregnancy in first 2 years

Hi all.

We are hoping to move to Perth early 2006 on Aus Sponsered perm res visa. I know you don't get social security etc for first two years but does this include any maternity payments? i.e. if I fell pregnant in those first two years would I be elegible for any maternity pay that Oz has?

Thanks for any advice

Lucy.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnancy in first 2 years

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
Hi all.

We are hoping to move to Perth early 2006 on Aus Sponsered perm res visa. I know you don't get social security etc for first two years but does this include any maternity payments? i.e. if I fell pregnant in those first two years would I be elegible for any maternity pay that Oz has?

Thanks for any advice

Lucy.
Hi Lucy
Australia does not have a govt-funded maternity allowance scheme. Additionally, company-funded maternity pay is uncommon in Australia, except within a few larger companies (such as some of the big banks).

However, you should be entitled to unpaid maternity leave from any employer (as I recall).

A baby bonus of $3000 is all that is offered by the govt - this is a one-off payment for every child born to citizens or permament residents - a kind of sweetener for the lack of govt maternity pay.

Good luck
Old Oct 30th 2004, 9:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

Thanks for any advice

Lucy.
Not all welfare payments are subject to the 2 year wait period. Visit http://www.centrelink.gov.au

You should be eligible for Family Tax Benefit, but I believe this does have a means test (most Australian welfare payments do).

If you have PR your Australia born child will be an Australian citizen automatically - although I don't know if this helps in welfare matters.

The 2 year period does not apply to Medicare.

Jeremy
Old Oct 30th 2004, 9:31 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Lucy,
Good question. Something I need to consider also as my clock is ticking (34) and have been waiting until we get a new life. Best wishes.
Sarah
Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:40 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

...Sponsered perm ...

Lucy.
I misread that the first time and thought it said "sponsored sperm" I thought "wow!" that is a really progressive new visa category
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:11 pm
owieb

Hi all.

Thanks for any advice

Lucy.
There are several sites on the matter:

http://www.hreoc.gov.au/info_for_teachers/pregnancy/
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/intgui...nity_leave.htm

Reading these sites paid maternity leave is not compulsory for private sector companies; public sector employees get maternity leave, but you normally have to work for 12 months with a company to be able to have any benefits.

I'm not 100% sure how accurate this information is, but I'm pretty sure it's fairly recent.

My wife is due to go on maternity leave (she works for a large private company) and originally was only allowed 6 weeks paid maternity leave, providing she had worked with the company for 12 months. However, they have recently changed this to 3 months paid leave. They have to provide her with a job at the same level/salary that she is currently on, providing she returns within 12 months.

Hope this helps.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

THYE.A. is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.

Thanks for any advice

Lucy.
You may be entitled to Family Tax Benefit part A and B, to the maximum rate if both of you not working and have at least one child under certain age.

If you rent, you may be entitled to Rent Assistance.

All these do not have the 2 years waiting period.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 3:18 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I am preganant and I will not get any maternity pay from my company. I have to have worked with them for 12 months to be entitled to my job being there after 12 months unpaid maternity leave.

After a few months in Oz you realise you get very little in comparison to the UK. I have to pay to see the doctor every month but do get some back through medicare.

I got my dating scan under medicare but my 11 wk scan to check for Down Syndrome I have to pay for $60 at a bulkbill place. I am unable to claim anything back from Medicare as this is not a routine scan. (I am not in the at risk category I am under 30 but the doctor wanted me to have one and I feel I should).

I will get $3000 when the baby is born. This will help a little not quite the same as paid maternity pay. My companies arguement is that is they pay they will go bankcrupt!! Mad only 2 female staff work there that are young enough to have kids.

The parent company provides 3 months paid leave but my company doesn't which I find hard to believe that the parent company can do one thing subsidiarys can have different policies!!

Oh well never mind I have to concentrate on me and bub. We can't change what will be

Jo
Old Nov 1st 2004, 5:27 am
Just Joined

miriam is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by joh117
I am preganant and I will not get any maternity pay from my company. I have to have worked with them for 12 months to be entitled to my job being there after 12 months unpaid maternity leave.

After a few months in Oz you realise you get very little in comparison to the UK. I have to pay to see the doctor every month but do get some back through medicare.

I got my dating scan under medicare but my 11 wk scan to check for Down Syndrome I have to pay for $60 at a bulkbill place. I am unable to claim anything back from Medicare as this is not a routine scan. (I am not in the at risk category I am under 30 but the doctor wanted me to have one and I feel I should).

I will get $3000 when the baby is born. This will help a little not quite the same as paid maternity pay. My companies arguement is that is they pay they will go bankcrupt!! Mad only 2 female staff work there that are young enough to have kids.

The parent company provides 3 months paid leave but my company doesn't which I find hard to believe that the parent company can do one thing subsidiarys can have different policies!!

Oh well never mind I have to concentrate on me and bub. We can't change what will be

Jo

I've been in australia since May and must have got pregnant the day I arrived - you have to pay a contribution towards your ante--natal appointments and scans, however I have been really satisfied wiht the level of care compard to the NHS>

you are entitled to $3000 cash payment - but i have had trouble getting a job since we settled in sydney in August since i look pregnant! It seems pretty sexist here compared ot the uk.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the replies - seems less than UK but won't put me off having the second little nipper!!
Old Nov 1st 2004, 9:36 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by miriam
I've been in australia since May and must have got pregnant the day I arrived - you have to pay a contribution towards your ante--natal appointments and scans, however I have been really satisfied wiht the level of care compard to the NHS>

you are entitled to $3000 cash payment - but i have had trouble getting a job since we settled in sydney in August since i look pregnant! It seems pretty sexist here compared ot the uk.

Tell me about the sexist thing. There was a chance of job movement at my work and they said I wouldn't get it as pregnant. How bad is that?? I already work there so which ever job I do I will be going off on maternity.

We arrived in Feb and I fell pregnant in August. At least I had time to settle in and get a job.

I agree with the level of service. My mates (aussie) slag off the public system for maternity. But when I went for my scan I was 1/2 hr early and was seen straight away. Not like the UK where you are expected to wait hours past your appointment

Jo
Old Nov 1st 2004, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

miriam is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by joh117
Tell me about the sexist thing. There was a chance of job movement at my work and they said I wouldn't get it as pregnant. How bad is that?? I already work there so which ever job I do I will be going off on maternity.

We arrived in Feb and I fell pregnant in August. At least I had time to settle in and get a job.

I agree with the level of service. My mates (aussie) slag off the public system for maternity. But when I went for my scan I was 1/2 hr early and was seen straight away. Not like the UK where you are expected to wait hours past your appointment

Jo

There are pros adn cons to living in sydney compared to london but the healthcare is far superior. i think i would be frightened to have a baby in the UK after the experience with my first child. Here they have even linked me to an ante-natal support group since i'm a new migrant. in camden, my surgery resembled a refugee camp