Reload this Page >

pregnancy and birth in Oz

pregnancy and birth in Oz

Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:12 am
Just Joined

mosman man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pregnancy and birth in Oz

Morning all,

The missus and I want another baby - and are considering using our PR/citizen status to move out in the next 12 months.

I'm wondering what folks' experience of maternity care in Aust - esp NSW or VIC - was like.

We had our first baby in London in a big NHS hospital and were none too impressed.

Thought, impressions, warnings and experiences all welcome!

Cheers....
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pregnancy and birth in Oz

You get to choose the doc if you have health insurance. I had my two children here many moons ago and the care was great. My daughter has friends who have just had children in the public system not the private and they both had the best of care.

I have no problem with the hospitals here and we have had a lot to do with them as my daughter has chronic conditions which require a lot of docs and hospitalisation from time to time.

Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I had our first child here in Melbourne 18 months ago- was a bit disappointed that Medicare did not offer that someone else gestated for me!

Actually I had a great experience. I had private health insurance, so chose my obstretrician whom I visited monthly/weekly/daily (as pregnancy progresses) and went to one of the hospitals she attends. Not sure if this is the same for public hospitals.

I ended up needing an emergency Cesear, and the hospital was fab. Hubby was disappointed that the option for going to stay in a 5 stay holiday was removed due to my op...he fancied room service and a stay somewhere posh!
Care generally was second to none....
Old Oct 11th 2008, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

You can either go private or go through the public system. Next time around, we are planning to go through the public system as we had DD in the UK on the NHS and I personally don't see the benefit of going private. If you have a "group midwife team" at your local public hospital then you get assigned your own midwife anyway so get good 1-on-1 care.

The beauty of going under the midwife team is that they are happy to discharge you just 24 hours after the birth. I think under the normal public "clinic" it's 48 hours and privately they like you to stay in for 4-5 days! Obviously, if you have c-section you need to stay in for a good few days but again, for me personally, I was itching to get out of hospital when I had DD as I just wanted my own bed and to crack on with things!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

I had my second child in Oz and it was a fantastic experience. I was classed as extremely high risk and my care reflected this. I wasn't private but after my first child in Ireland the care was private standard in my opinion. I had a private room with ensuite facilties and one of the most sort after obs. professors in the area. I honestly can fault anything
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Hi Guys,

Had my last baby six months ago here in Brisbane Privately....
In retrospect, I wish I hadn't wasted the money. I work in the public system, and it's just as good as private IMO.
Tan
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:08 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midwifetanya
Hi Guys,

Had my last baby six months ago here in Brisbane Privately....
In retrospect, I wish I hadn't wasted the money. I work in the public system, and it's just as good as private IMO.
Tan
We are using a public, midwife led, family birth centre at the Mercy Hospital in Heidelberg, Melbourne for the birth of our first child.
http://www.mercy.com.au/html/s02_art...&nav_top_id=84

Coincidentally, this article was in Fridays Age :
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lifeandst...145589248.html

"The analysis, which is the largest undertaken in the world, also found that women in midwife-led models of care were less likely to be admitted to hospital during pregnancy, have instrumental deliveries, episiotomies or require analgesia and were more likely to have spontaneous vaginal births, feel in control during labour and better able to initiate breastfeeding."

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Oct 13th 2008 at 8:11 am.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Had my baby private..... main benefit was getting a room to myself rather than having to share. Cant complain about the docs although the midwives did my head in - taking ages to come (short staffed of course!) when you buzzed and a few other issues.

IF (and it's a big IF!) we had another I'd go private, mainly as you can come home the following day (assuming all was straightforward) and the midwive will visit you at home for four or five days - going private I had no visit from anyone until a week after discharge.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

We had out first in London. Not that impressed with the hospital, but the GP care in the UK was great. Had the second in a Sydney public hospital and it was just the opposite experience: great hospital care, but almost no GP or nurse follow up afterwards. Also think private health cover is a waste of money for childbirth ... having seen some of the cheap motel-like private hospitals here.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mosman man
Morning all,

The missus and I want another baby - and are considering using our PR/citizen status to move out in the next 12 months.
Out of interest, what is meant by "PR/citizen"? Is one of you a citizen and the other a PR? Or something else?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:04 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
We are using a public, midwife led, family birth centre at the Mercy Hospital in Heidelberg, Melbourne for the birth of our first child.
http://www.mercy.com.au/html/s02_art...&nav_top_id=84

Coincidentally, this article was in Fridays Age :
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lifeandst...145589248.html

"The analysis, which is the largest undertaken in the world, also found that women in midwife-led models of care were less likely to be admitted to hospital during pregnancy, have instrumental deliveries, episiotomies or require analgesia and were more likely to have spontaneous vaginal births, feel in control during labour and better able to initiate breastfeeding."
Well, our beautiful baby girl, Niamh, arrived last Sunday morning at 08:45.
My wife, trooper she is, laboured at home until she felt it was time to get the middies involved and at 6:30am grunted the command to get her down to the birth centre. We got there at 06:45 and our child arrived 2 hours later in a fully natural birth with the help of some of the wonderful midwives from the birth centre.

I can't say enough good things about the place. It was an amazing experience and thankfully we never had to see or deal with anyone but midwives during the entire pregnancy.
Attached Thumbnails pregnancy and birth in Oz-niamh-capsule.jpg   pregnancy and birth in Oz-p-wonderful-midwives.jpg  
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

My wife, trooper she is, laboured at home until she felt it was time to get the middies involved and at 6:30am grunted the command to get her down to the birth centre. We got there at 06:45 and our child arrived 2 hours later in a fully natural birth with the help of some of the wonderful midwives from the birth centre.

I can't say enough good things about the place. It was an amazing experience and thankfully we never had to see or deal with anyone but midwives during the entire pregnancy.
Congratulations Your little girl is adorable Hope your wife is keeping well
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:45 am
Just Joined

londonjas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

We had our first at the Royal Women's Hospital in Randwick, we went for the public option because our GP recommended it, and the whole experience was fantastic, with excellent care, a great hospital, and much needed mid-wife visits afterwards.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

the_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nice

Major CONGRATULATION to you both but especially your wife on her natural birth. have fun with your little bundle.

Jo x
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:06 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Had both mine here one in Frankston Vic, and one at the New Mater mothers in Brisbane. Both public. Had initial care this year under NHS until I returned to Oz to give birth 7wks ago, Public here is like private back home you get spoilt. I would recommend for sure

Jo