Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

pre-schools and their link with schools

pre-schools and their link with schools

Old Apr 7th 2005, 7:48 pm
Off to Perth in early Oct

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough
Default pre-schools and their link with schools

Can anybody explain the link between pre-schools and schools (particularly in Perth if it varies from state to state). Do you need to be in a schools catchment area to attend a pre-school?

My daughter is 5 and started school over here last September. We are intending to move to Perth in November, and would like to get her into pre-school for a few weeks before Xmas so that she can meet some of the other kids that she will be going to school with in January.

Any info appreciated. Thanks
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:05 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pre-schools and their link with schools

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
Can anybody explain the link between pre-schools and schools (particularly in Perth if it varies from state to state). Do you need to be in a schools catchment area to attend a pre-school?

My daughter is 5 and started school over here last September. We are intending to move to Perth in November, and would like to get her into pre-school for a few weeks before Xmas so that she can meet some of the other kids that she will be going to school with in January.

Cant really help with preschools in Perth, but just thought I would point out to you that our schools break for the long summer holidays at the beginning of December. Depending on when you get here, what you are suggesting may not really be feasible.

Good luck, hopefully someone else can answer the catchment question so you can check with the school direct .
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Sydney, pre-schools are usually private establishments with no connection to any school. A few private schools have their own pre-school but state schools don't. If a pre-school is run by the local council, there may be some rule that you have to live in the local council area, but catchment areas don't really apply to pre-schools here - if you have a place and can pay you can go there.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Re: pre-schools and their link with schools

Don't know about Perth , but as already mentioned pre-schools are all private. It's not like in the Uk where you have a child place payed for by the government from 2 years 10 months , although there are some care centers that centerlink will partially fund (means tested).None I have looked at are linked onto schools and as far as I am aware there is no strutured cirriculum requirement for pre-schools. We have been very lucky and found one (after a few disasters ! ) that has an interest in the kids and is teaching them basics.It costs a fortune and is only on for 2 days.
Your best bet is to ask at the local school or community center about "playgroups". These are usually attended by pre-school kids (5 and under) with their mums.We came out here in November and a few weeks before the Christmas holidays was all that was needed to make some new friends for the kids and me - helps over the summer holidays.Kids settled back in no problem after the holidays because there was some familiar faces!
All the best and if I can help with anything , just ask.
Tass.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:03 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I think it will vary state to state. My daughter goes to state pre school (no cost) 5 days a fortnight. It is on the same site as the primary school her brother attends. She also goes to a private pre-school for about 4 days a fortnight - cost is about $400/term hours are about 9-2:30.

I wouldn't worry about putting your kid into a couple of weeks of pre-school before starting school late Jan. The school is likely to be fed by many pre-schools, state or private, so whilst there will be some groups of kids who know each other, not every kid will know everyone else. This means everyone is up for making new friends when they start school proper.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Once again, dont know about Perth, but state preschools (free) are the norm here in Qld, as jayr said, usually attached to the school & run a program 5 days a fortnight.

NSW is obviously different, but that could be because their schooling years are different? Do they still have a prep year like they used to years ago? I have a feeling that they do an extra year of schooling which is the equivilent to Qlds preschool year (which is why Qld is changing their system next year of the year after).

Sorry, doesnt help the OP, but it may help someone else!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Once again, dont know about Perth, but state preschools (free) are the norm here in Qld, as jayr said, usually attached to the school & run a program 5 days a fortnight.

NSW is obviously different, but that could be because their schooling years are different? Do they still have a prep year like they used to years ago? I have a feeling that they do an extra year of schooling which is the equivilent to Qlds preschool year (which is why Qld is changing their system next year of the year after).

Sorry, doesnt help the OP, but it may help someone else!
You're quite right MrsD. The first year of school in NSW is called 'kindergarten' then it progresses thru Years 1 to 12, so all kids have 13 years of fulltime school here.

I believe that currently what's called 'pre-school' in Queensland is just a part-time, optional, 'kindergarten' year, which is then followed by 12 years of full-time school. The changes happening in QLD are to bring it in line with the other states so all children get 13 years fulltime.

So what's meant by 'pre-school' in one state is not necessarily the same in another!

Last edited by NickyC; Apr 8th 2005 at 2:25 am.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
We are also going to Perth in August and are in the same boat as yourselves. Our eldest started school here in September at 4 years. We are looking to put him into a pre-compulsory education when we get there for the same reasons so that he might have some friends for the long holiday.
We are going to ask his present teacher if we can have access to the Year 1 curriculum, if all things fail to go to plan.It is also a good idea to get your childs yearly report as this can be helpful when applying for schooling.
From what I understand you do have to live in the catchment area for the school that you wish to attend, just like here. The schools may be more flexible if they have a low intake for the particular year that you are looking for.
I found that this is a good website to look at for schools in Perth as it gives details of each schools size and educational priorities for this year and the curriculum that is being followed.

http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/district...nds%20District

This also gives a report on each school as well.
Where abouts in Perth are you planning to go?
We are going to the Northern suburbs as my husbands family live up there.
Hope you find this helpful,
Sasha
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:24 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Hi,
We are also going to Perth in August and are in the same boat as yourselves. Our eldest started school here in September at 4 years. We are looking to put him into a pre-compulsory education when we get there for the same reasons so that he might have some friends for the long holiday.
We are going to ask his present teacher if we can have access to the Year 1 curriculum, if all things fail to go to plan.It is also a good idea to get your childs yearly report as this can be helpful when applying for schooling.
From what I understand you do have to live in the catchment area for the school that you wish to attend, just like here. The schools may be more flexible if they have a low intake for the particular year that you are looking for.
I found that this is a good website to look at for schools in Perth as it gives details of each schools size and educational priorities for this year and the curriculum that is being followed.

http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/district...nds%20District

This also gives a report on each school as well.
Where abouts in Perth are you planning to go?
We are going to the Northern suburbs as my husbands family live up there.
Hope you find this helpful,
Sasha

Hi Sasha,

We thought the catchment area applied to all state schools, but here in Brisbane we have found that there are quite a few that take children from outside their areas.

Hope you are all well.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

WHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tass
Don't know about Perth , but as already mentioned pre-schools are all private. It's not like in the Uk where you have a child place payed for by the government from 2 years 10 months , although there are some care centers that centerlink will partially fund (means tested).None I have looked at are linked onto schools and as far as I am aware there is no strutured cirriculum requirement for pre-schools. We have been very lucky and found one (after a few disasters ! ) that has an interest in the kids and is teaching them basics.It costs a fortune and is only on for 2 days.
Your best bet is to ask at the local school or community center about "playgroups". These are usually attended by pre-school kids (5 and under) with their mums.We came out here in November and a few weeks before the Christmas holidays was all that was needed to make some new friends for the kids and me - helps over the summer holidays.Kids settled back in no problem after the holidays because there was some familiar faces!
All the best and if I can help with anything , just ask.
Tass.
Hi Tass

Would be really interested in the pre-school you are referring to, I have a 4 1/2 year old boy who has been attending school in the UK since he was 3 and now cannot get him in anywhere until January, he won't turn 5 until the end of August. We are also in Sydney, Lower North Shore.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:47 am

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough

Hi Sasha,

Thanks for the info, links and handy tip about the school report card. It's nice to know that someone else is thinking along the same lines as us.

We will probably end up North of Perth, but precise location is unknown yet. All our family are in Brisbane, so we don't have any family ties in Perth.

It's quite 'interesting' trying to get the kids schooling sorted out. The kids are our top priority with regard to making friends and getting them settled. Darby and Jone can sort ourselves out later.

thanks

Neil
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:48 am

Thanks to everybody for your posts. All very useful stuff, all helping to ease the passage hopefully.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Hi Sasha,

Thanks for the info, links and handy tip about the school report card. It's nice to know that someone else is thinking along the same lines as us.

We will probably end up North of Perth, but precise location is unknown yet. All our family are in Brisbane, so we don't have any family ties in Perth.

It's quite 'interesting' trying to get the kids schooling sorted out. The kids are our top priority with regard to making friends and getting them settled. Darby and Jone can sort ourselves out later.

thanks

Neil
Neil,
If you find that the schools don't think it is worth admitting your daughter for the last few weeks before the break, keep on the forum and let us know when you all arrive. Maybe we could hook up the kids for some company and play during the holidays and some coffee/beer for us? I know we have a boy, but sometimes it's just nice to have someone of your own age to play with. We also have an 18 month old boy.
Sasha
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Hi Tass

Would be really interested in the pre-school you are referring to, I have a 4 1/2 year old boy who has been attending school in the UK since he was 3 and now cannot get him in anywhere until January, he won't turn 5 until the end of August. We are also in Sydney, Lower North Shore.

Hi Wheezy ! Sorry I have taken so long to reply , was reminded of it today when I read chalkfarms thread. We are in the South West Suburbs near Campbelltown , so I'm afraid I can't help you with pre-schools in your area. We are using a service called KU Childrens services. They run a mobile preschool and hold it in the local community hall.It is a programme for pre-school children age 3-5 and we have been very lucky to find it as they appear to have the same level of interest in Pre-school education as we had in Scotland.The "head " of the pre-school has a masters in early childhood education and you can tell the difference from all the other places we've tried.I have given their home page below. Hope it helps .
All the best, Tass.

www.ku.com.au