Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pre-schooling in NSW

Pre-schooling in NSW

Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Angelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really nice
Default Pre-schooling in NSW

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows how the Pre-schools work?, over here (uk) at the age of 3 you get 5 free sessions a week at a Pre-school paid by the Government, Is it the same in NSW?
thanks

Angelica X
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre-schooling in NSW

Originally Posted by Angelica666
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows how the Pre-schools work?, over here (uk) at the age of 3 you get 5 free sessions a week at a Pre-school paid by the Government, Is it the same in NSW?
thanks

Angelica X
There are plenty of pre-schools here but 99.9% are privately run and you certainly don't get any free sessions.

You might get some help with the fees (means tested so dependent on income).
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:37 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
There are plenty of pre-schools here but 99.9% are privately run and you certainly don't get any free sessions.

You might get some help with the fees (means tested so dependent on income).
But not if you are on a 457...damn!!
We are looking at pre school now for our 3 year old boy and it is quite expensive so looks like 'er indoors will have to get a job to pay for our little ray of sunshines education.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
But not if you are on a 457...damn!!
We are looking at pre school now for our 3 year old boy and it is quite expensive so looks like 'er indoors will have to get a job to pay for our little ray of sunshines education.
And not if you earn too much, either .

We were both citizens by the time our kids were pre-school age. We've never had a sausage from anyone - no family tax benefit, no children's allowance, no subsidised pre-school fees, zilch.

Still, I'd rather be on a good income and have to pay full fees, than be earning less but score a few freebies.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:07 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

And not if you earn too much, either .

We were both citizens by the time our kids were pre-school age. We've never had a sausage from anyone - no family tax benefit, no children's allowance, no subsidised pre-school fees, zilch.

Still, I'd rather be on a good income and have to pay full fees, than be earning less but score a few freebies.
I'm surprised you didn't get any family tax benefit. Were you working as well? Also, everyone would get the minimum subsidy of 16% for kindys as far as I can tell.

We also have that problem because my husband makes too much (over 100k), although I'm not complaining! I'm not working and my daugter goes to kindy 2 days a week. We get a 16% subsidy for her kindy and I believe we also get some family tax benefit A because that one is not means tested.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm surprised you didn't get any family tax benefit. Were you working as well? Also, everyone would get the minimum subsidy of 16% for kindys as far as I can tell.

We also have that problem because my husband makes too much (over 100k), although I'm not complaining! I'm not working and my daugter goes to kindy 2 days a week. We get a 16% subsidy for her kindy and I believe we also get some family tax benefit A because that one is not means tested.
I'm talking about a few years ago, now . My kids are now 19 and 21 so well past pre-school age - but when they were, we were entitled to nothing in the way of reduced fees. They may well have changed the rules since.

Also never got any Family Tax benefit either. That's means-tested, and as both my OH and myself do quite well income-wise we've always been well above the threshhold to claim it.

As I said, though - I'm not complaining. Rather it went to people who need it.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:30 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a permanent resident or citizen? I was led to believe that a temp resident on a 457 visa is not eligible for any benefits etc. How did you get the kindy subsidy?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Angelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really niceAngelica666 is just really nice

Hi All

Thanks for your replys I have 21mth old Twins (boy/Girl) and a 7mth old Girl, I'm not Mad Honestly!!!!, we did 4 years of IVF and finally got pregnant with the Twins, When they were 5 mths old, I found out I was pregnant naturally with my youngest (Had to type that, didnt want anyone to think I was crazy).
I dont think my Hubbys income is going to be great, somewere around 60 to 70k, plus I wont be working, I dont have time for a cup of tea at there ages ha ha ha!!!. would you think I would get the 16% and family credit on that income - opps were going on a Perminent Skills, family sponsor Visa?.

Thanks everyone!!!!
Angelica X
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:31 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paddyo
Are you a permanent resident or citizen? I was led to believe that a temp resident on a 457 visa is not eligible for any benefits etc. How did you get the kindy subsidy?
We're permanent residents, have been since we arrived.

Everyone gets the minimum subsidy at daycare's as far as I'm aware. The minimum is 16%. This amount comes directly off her fee at the daycare centre so I pay the difference. It honestly doesn't take off much though, a few dollars a day. But it's still nice.

I'll try and look it up a bit later when I have more time.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

There are NSW government preschools - a list is here

I think places are somewhat scarcer than hens teeth though. To be eligible a child needs to have turned 4 before 31 July of the year that they begin preschool. It is usually about 12 hours a week over 2 or 3 sessions.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quoll
There are NSW government preschools - a list is here

I think places are somewhat scarcer than hens teeth though. To be eligible a child needs to have turned 4 before 31 July of the year that they begin preschool. It is usually about 12 hours a week over 2 or 3 sessions.
And the few that there are (only 100 in the whole of the state) tend to be in areas where most people are unlikely to want to live. There's not a single government pre-school in the whole of Northern Sydney and the few in the east are located in very working-class areas. It looks like they put them in areas where the need is high and income low.

When the government pre-school at Birchgrove was last taking enrolments, there were so many people sleeping out, it made the news!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

And the few that there are (only 100 in the whole of the state) tend to be in areas where most people are unlikely to want to live. There's not a single government pre-school in the whole of Northern Sydney and the few in the east are located in very working-class areas. It looks like they put them in areas where the need is high and income low.

When the government pre-school at Birchgrove was last taking enrolments, there were so many people sleeping out, it made the news!
That certainly seems to be the case! Not a highly salubrious list of locations is it?!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

We're permanent residents, have been since we arrived.

Everyone gets the minimum subsidy at daycare's as far as I'm aware. The minimum is 16%. This amount comes directly off her fee at the daycare centre so I pay the difference. It honestly doesn't take off much though, a few dollars a day. But it's still nice.

I'll try and look it up a bit later when I have more time.

I don't thinks that's the case - well not in NSW - may be different in Qld. As far as I know, it's all means tested. However, I would think on the salary you have mentioned you would certainly be entitled to some help with fees.

Good luck

Rudi
xxx
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:39 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Rudi
I don't thinks that's the case - well not in NSW - may be different in Qld. As far as I know, it's all means tested. However, I would think on the salary you have mentioned you would certainly be entitled to some help with fees.

Good luck

Rudi
xxx
That could be the case, I've just always thought that Centrelink would have the same subsidies across the country. There is one family tax benefit that is not means tested, I can't remember if it's A or B though. There has been some discussion about it recently so I'll see if I can find the thread.

I'm curious why you'd think we'd be entitled to some help with the fees (unless you're talking to someone else). My husband makes makes a fair bit over $100,000 a year so I personally don't feel we should be getting anything at all, but that's just my opinion. I'm assuming you're refering to another post with that comment.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

That could be the case, I've just always thought that Centrelink would have the same subsidies across the country. There is one family tax benefit that is not means tested, I can't remember if it's A or B though. There has been some discussion about it recently so I'll see if I can find the thread.

I'm curious why you'd think we'd be entitled to some help with the fees (unless you're talking to someone else). My husband makes makes a fair bit over $100,000 a year so I personally don't feel we should be getting anything at all, but that's just my opinion. I'm assuming you're refering to another post with that comment.
Hi Comet

The bit about being entitled to help was for the OP who'd mentioned a salary of $60-$70k.

Rudi

PS I will be moving up your way at the end of May - we have a couple of weeks booked in a place in Thornlands, whilst we look for a rental. I'll be looking for new friends when I get there.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.