Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

pre-school/playgroups aged 3/4 & school places q

pre-school/playgroups aged 3/4 & school places q

Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default pre-school/playgroups aged 3/4 & school places q

Is it relatively common for kids of 3 to go to playgroups on school premises?

And how many schools have pre school attached to their school, or are they separate.

If a child is 2 years away from school, do you need to register for schools yesterday if not going to public school? The reason I ask is because we will have to pay anyway and was wondering 'if' there was much of a difference in price between public and private (I know they can go up to ludicrous amounts but thinking average amounts here). Am looking at Sydney as I know 'some' of the schools places are different/difficult to get and in some cases more expensive.
Anyone have any experience with public primary in Sydney, or private primary ? Whereabouts are they going to school, how have you found it? What have you found to be the positves? You can PM me if you don't want to publish it on net..

At this point (not arrived thinking North Shore) if that helps any....it could change though once we get there....
Anything else I need to consider? mini Plant is 3 in Jan so school would be 2? years away?

Thanks

PP
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough
Default Re: pre-school/playgroups aged 3/4 & school places q

hello - me again.

Most of the primary schools on the North Shore are supposed to be a good standard. A lot of the locals send their kids to public primary and then to private secondary. If you want to get your child into a private school, then you need to start emailing a few now so they can send you a prospectus. At least you can get a feel for the school before you come and then go look round. A lot of people put their kids names down at birth with a deposit. You could always ring them to see how long their wait lists are for 2010. If you want any more info on costs or specific schools etc let me know.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pre-school/playgroups aged 3/4 & school places q

Originally Posted by plantpot
Is it relatively common for kids of 3 to go to playgroups on school premises?

No - don't know any schools that have playgroups on the premises here. Playgroups here are usually parent-run groups that use a hall or council-owned premises. The sort of place where you get together with other mums for one session a week. You don't leave your child there - you have to stay.

And how many schools have pre school attached to their school, or are they separate.

Very few. Expensive private schools may have a pre-school attached to their primary school. Very few Public schools in Sydney have a pre-school - and if they do they're in poorer areas. The exception is Birchgrove School in the inner-west - where people camp out overnight to get their kids into the prublic pre-school there.

Pre-schools are usually privately or council run (rather than run by schools). There's no shortage of them, but you have to pay.

If a child is 2 years away from school, do you need to register for schools yesterday if not going to public school? The reason I ask is because we will have to pay anyway and was wondering 'if' there was much of a difference in price between public and private (I know they can go up to ludicrous amounts but thinking average amounts here). Am looking at Sydney as I know 'some' of the schools places are different/difficult to get and in some cases more expensive.
Anyone have any experience with public primary in Sydney, or private primary ? Whereabouts are they going to school, how have you found it? What have you found to be the positves? You can PM me if you don't want to publish it on net..

My kids went to a private pre-school, followed by a private primary school (nominally Anglican), followed by a private High School (nominally Presbyterian). They were all excellent, no complaints about any of them - but boy did it cost us!

Some years you do have to put down names at birth to get a place - some years you don't. It depends on the economic circumstances at the time. When the country is booming and people have money to spare, they want to send their kids to private schools. When times are tougher, private schools have no waiting lists, at all. The only way to find out the state of play is to get in touch with schools and ask them.

At this point (not arrived thinking North Shore) if that helps any....it could change though once we get there....
Anything else I need to consider? mini Plant is 3 in Jan so school would be 2? years away?

Thanks

PP
Answered some of your questions above..