Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pre-Primary in Oz...is this equivalent to UK Nursery age?!

Pre-Primary in Oz...is this equivalent to UK Nursery age?!

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:46 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pre-Primary in Oz...is this equivalent to UK Nursery age?!

I have just, a few weeks back, had my skills assessment back from TA and they said I am eligible to teach Pre-Primary and Primary. My degree focus was Nursery and Key Stage 1, however I have taught 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 year olds since graduating 9 years ago. What ages does 'Pre-Primary' actually cover? ACT seem to be sponsoring Pre-Primary teachers...so it's got me curious....
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:59 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre-Primary in Oz...is this equivalent to UK Nursery age?!

*Jenny puts a wee smiley face to bump her thread back up the queue*
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
*Jenny puts a wee smiley face to bump her thread back up the queue*
Patience, patience.......its very early morning in Australlia and you only gave people 13 minutes
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I have just, a few weeks back, had my skills assessment back from TA and they said I am eligible to teach Pre-Primary and Primary. My degree focus was Nursery and Key Stage 1, however I have taught 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 year olds since graduating 9 years ago. What ages does 'Pre-Primary' actually cover? ACT seem to be sponsoring Pre-Primary teachers...so it's got me curious....
I had this quandary when applying for Victoria state sponsorship and just got sent around the houses about what it meant. I didn't get the sponsorship, and this is only reading between the lines as they weren't clear even when they gave an explanation, but I think Victoria saw it as working in a Kinder setting, or day Nursery,but all my experience was school based. Even though NOOSR said I was pre-primary because I was primarily Foundation Stage teacher, because I worked in a school and also worked with KS1 Victoria's own criteria meant they disregarded NOOSR and classed me as Primary and that wasn't on their list. They seemed also to want a post year 12 qualification like an NNEB or NAMCW, which I had, but I took it before I was 18 and therefore it didn't count. Considering I have a B.ED degree it all seemed daft. Having been out here a few months it makes more sense as all the 3 year old and 4 year old Kinder jobs advertise teaching posts. I think you need to ask ACT their criteria, and whether being 'a teacher' as we in UK see it is what they mean, or is it a playgroup leader? Which is no way a disservice to playgroup workers, but I know even our agent was shocked as we all thought it meant teacher in a school, but it didn't.

Sorry to be long winded, hope it makes sense and good luck.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

ACT has preschool before primary school - I assume this is what they are talking about in which case it would be for kids who are 4 or are about to turn 4 before 30 April of the year they start. However they have just opened up some early childhood schools where they are offering an integrated service delivery from 0 - 8. AFAIK the pre preschool component wont involve ACTDET personnel but I admit I havent been keeping that close an eye on who will actually be doing the service delivery.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:40 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Great ta, and sorry for 'bumping' my thread...it wasn't to get a quicker response, it was just to stop it disappearing off page 1, tee hee