Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pre-pay phonecard charges & telstra!

Pre-pay phonecard charges & telstra!

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

mark937 is on a distinguished road
Default Pre-pay phonecard charges & telstra!

Hi there, our phone bills have averaged $150 a month (wife calling uk etc). We set up the Homeline + with telstra so calls to the uk are capped at $5.29 when they go over an hour. Received our bill and found that telstra weren't capping these calls at all. Called them and they gave some feeble explanation. Girl recommended getting a prepaid call card from GPO. Bill this month still over $150! Checked the telstra bill to find altho we're using the callcard, every time we connect to it telstra are charging us between $2 and $7.74 per call!!!! So now we're paying for the call on the card and with telstra! Most people we can email, however mum and sister don't have internet, or the money to call us. We'd like to call them at least once a week. Have thought about using a callbox, but realistically we'd have to be out at an inconvienient time of the day/night. anyone know of any call cards where telstra don't charge you?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:05 pm
HEL
EEN

HEL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pre-pay phonecard charges & telstra!

Hi Mark,

I have no idea what Telstra are up to. We have a telstra line and use a GPS card or which card has the best deal with no connection fee. A $10 card lasts a good few hours and we have had no big bills from telstra. May have to pay the 20c connection charge each time, im not sure. Is GPO card a post office card? try www.ozphonecard.com.au.Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Helen

Originally Posted by mark937
Hi there, our phone bills have averaged $150 a month (wife calling uk etc). We set up the Homeline + with telstra so calls to the uk are capped at $5.29 when they go over an hour. Received our bill and found that telstra weren't capping these calls at all. Called them and they gave some feeble explanation. Girl recommended getting a prepaid call card from GPO. Bill this month still over $150! Checked the telstra bill to find altho we're using the callcard, every time we connect to it telstra are charging us between $2 and $7.74 per call!!!! So now we're paying for the call on the card and with telstra! Most people we can email, however mum and sister don't have internet, or the money to call us. We'd like to call them at least once a week. Have thought about using a callbox, but realistically we'd have to be out at an inconvienient time of the day/night. anyone know of any call cards where telstra don't charge you?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

huh? Why are Telstra billing you for using a callcard? Tell em to get their asses into gear. We use just a normal callcard (Daybreak) bought from a newsagent. Calls cost about 1c/min. No charges from Telstra. We have a big number to enter first, but we've used it so manu times now, we know the number by heart. When it runs out, we just top it up over the phone on the credit card.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HEL
Hi Mark,

I have no idea what Telstra are up to. We have a telstra line and use a GPS card or which card has the best deal with no connection fee. A $10 card lasts a good few hours and we have had no big bills from telstra. May have to pay the 20c connection charge each time, im not sure. Is GPO card a post office card? try www.ozphonecard.com.au.Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Helen
Thanks Helen, every time I try and call telstra to talk about it, its always an answering service. We brought the card from the post office here in aus. On our bill it comes under the STD calls. We were shocked when they were totally over $100! When we clicked for more info we found they were all the connection number for this card, to a number in brisbane. Will have to keep calling telstra to try and get an answer. Thanks again
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
huh? Why are Telstra billing you for using a callcard? Tell em to get their asses into gear. We use just a normal callcard (Daybreak) bought from a newsagent. Calls cost about 1c/min. No charges from Telstra. We have a big number to enter first, but we've used it so manu times now, we know the number by heart. When it runs out, we just top it up over the phone on the credit card.
this is so frustrating! no one else seems to be paying charges! we do the same, call a no, then enter PIN no, then phone no we want to call. Ours is a 'pricebuster' card. We've checked out the terms and conditions on their website, it does state that you may have to pay a connection fee.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

this is so frustrating! no one else seems to be paying charges! we do the same, call a no, then enter PIN no, then phone no we want to call. Ours is a 'pricebuster' card. We've checked out the terms and conditions on their website, it does state that you may have to pay a connection fee.
Hi

I have been using GPS card for a couple of years. It is so simple and cheap. You connect to the system via a local number, then you enter your PIN and then dial the number you want to connect to.

I phone the UK on a regular basis. $10.00 card will last me approx 600 minutes of talk time (about 3 months). To recharge, I just phone GPS direct and top up the card. Their number is 1300 736 900 or go to Google.com and enter 'GPS Phone Card' and scroll through to find GPS.

BT
Old Jun 24th 2006, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Hi

I have been using GPS card for a couple of years. It is so simple and cheap. You connect to the system via a local number, then you enter your PIN and then dial the number you want to connect to.

I phone the UK on a regular basis. $10.00 card will last me approx 600 minutes of talk time (about 3 months). To recharge, I just phone GPS direct and top up the card. Their number is 1300 736 900 or go to Google.com and enter 'GPS Phone Card' and scroll through to find GPS.

BT
According to our telstra bill, we're being charged STD rate for the local number we have to call first. On the card we have to call a no in brisbane, then enter the pin etc have tried to contact telstra but they're closed for the weekend!
Old Jun 24th 2006, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

According to our telstra bill, we're being charged STD rate for the local number we have to call first. On the card we have to call a no in brisbane, then enter the pin etc have tried to contact telstra but they're closed for the weekend!
If you have ADSL internet why don't just join skype the calls to uk landlines are very cheap (can't rember how much it's says on there web site) and it's no diffrent then using a standard phone
Old Jun 24th 2006, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tabby
If you have ADSL internet why don't just join skype the calls to uk landlines are very cheap (can't rember how much it's says on there web site) and it's no diffrent then using a standard phone
will google the skype thing and have a look. if its via the net, does the other party need to be online? my sis and parents haven't got a computer.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

will google the skype thing and have a look. if its via the net, does the other party need to be online? my sis and parents haven't got a computer.
no it works by using your computer and you can either phone another pc for free or you can phone any landline in the world no need for you rellies to have pc's

www.skype.com
Old Jun 24th 2006, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tabby
no it works by using your computer and you can either phone another pc for free or you can phone any landline in the world no need for you rellies to have pc's

www.skype.com
cheers for that!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Hi there mark, we buy a phonecard called apple card from local newsagents,,,all we are charged is a local connection fee to perth,,,i usually pay 50 bucks around every 5 months, i get 2800 mins ...i phone uk all the time...well worth it........jan hutchinson
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hutchy
Hi there mark, we buy a phonecard called apple card from local newsagents,,,all we are charged is a local connection fee to perth,,,i usually pay 50 bucks around every 5 months, i get 2800 mins ...i phone uk all the time...well worth it........jan hutchinson
thats great. Have tried the skyp thing. downloaded, added contacts then paid 10 euros as my rellies don't have the internet so I have to use the phone thingy. So all set up, try to use it and.........no microphone! How silly do I feel? Laptop hasn't got a built in microphone. Will trapse to shops tomorrow to look for one!