Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pre-paid phones and mobile broadband

Pre-paid phones and mobile broadband

Old Jul 7th 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pre-paid phones and mobile broadband

Folks,

We are validating our visa next week and will be in Oz for about five weeks.

Two questions:

We have two unlocked phones - Apple 3GS and a bog standard Samsung bought in Oz a few years back. Any recommendations about which company to go with? Not going far off the beaten track - essentially just travelling Sydney to Cairns.

Secondly we have a two year old Vodafone USB mobile broadband modem. Do the new USB modems offer any advantage or are the new packages any better?

Your input would be much appreciated

Bezza
Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre-paid phones and mobile broadband

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Folks,

We are validating our visa next week and will be in Oz for about five weeks.

Two questions:

We have two unlocked phones - Apple 3GS and a bog standard Samsung bought in Oz a few years back. Any recommendations about which company to go with? Not going far off the beaten track - essentially just travelling Sydney to Cairns.

Secondly we have a two year old Vodafone USB mobile broadband modem. Do the new USB modems offer any advantage or are the new packages any better?

Your input would be much appreciated

Bezza
Vodafone mobile broadband coverage is pretty patchy, you might be better off with Telstra, specially once you get away from the cities. Same with the phones - I'd avoid vodafone, go for optus or telstra, and if you ahve two phones i recommend that one get one of each, gives more complete coverage then
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Vodafone mobile broadband coverage is pretty patchy, you might be better off with Telstra, specially once you get away from the cities. Same with the phones - I'd avoid vodafone, go for optus or telstra, and if you ahve two phones i recommend that one get one of each, gives more complete coverage then
The down side to using 2 different networks is that you may miss out on special deals when there are low cost (if not free) calls between numbers on the same network. Assuming you only want 2G services Telstra would give the best coverage but I am not sure they would provide the best value deals.... the price to pay for the coverage / large number of towers to provide that coverage.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 3:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
From a 3G standpoint, a UK phone is likely to be 900/2100, whereas Telstra is 850/2100. So you wouldn't get coverage except where you'd get Vodaphone coverage anyway.

Better to go with the Optus network, since that uses the 900/2100 frequencies that you have. It's not a widespread as the Telstra NextG network, but it will give better service for your phones. Personally I'd say get a Virgin Mobile SIM - works on that network, gives you data, and you don't have to deal with the poor customer service of Optus.

And although Sydney to Cairns shouldn't be considered off the beaten track, it IS as far as the poor state of Australian mobile coverage is concerned:

Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pre-paid phones and mobile broadband

Avoid Vodafone completely.

Very poor coverage, very inconsistent, terrible customer service, over charging on bills all the time.

Has been dubbed Vodafail in Oz.

www.vodafail.com
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:04 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Avoid Vodafone completely.

Very poor coverage, very inconsistent, terrible customer service, over charging on bills all the time.

Has been dubbed Vodafail in Oz.

www.vodafail.com
Seconded!

Vodafone are best in the UK, but certainly not here.

Telstra is the ONLY way to go if you want to be able to actually use the phone. Pisses all over all the other networks with coverage AND data downloads. We've tested Telstra, Optus, and Vodamoan and web pages / downloads fly with Helstra compared to others ...
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys - looks like it's the Telstra store for me.

Bezza
Old Jul 9th 2011, 7:26 am
UK migrant now in Oz

jorgon will become famous soon enough

How about Amaysim?
The sim worked perfectly in my unlocked UK Phone, you top up either online or in store, and you can buy the sim at 7/11, Coles, Woolworths etc which are everywhere and the call charges were much, much cheaper than Telstra.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jorgon
much cheaper than Telstra.
But what network do they use?

Anything other than Telstra's network aint worth the agg, no matter how cheap the deal is.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:16 am
UK migrant now in Oz

jorgon will become famous soon enough

Well what they say is:-
Being connected where you are in Australia is important. Your amaysim SIM card is powered by the Optus 3G dual band network (and where 3G dual band coverage isn’t available, Optus’ 3G single band and 2G networks). Optus covers 97% of the Australian population. So your amaysim SIM powered phone works in more places.
On their website they provide a map so you can see if there is coverage in your area. I've always had a good signal. I've travelled with the phone around Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jorgon
Well what they say is:-

On their website they provide a map so you can see if there is coverage in your area. I've always had a good signal. I've travelled with the phone around Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast.
Work colleague is with Optus and trust me it's a diff league from Telstra.

Next time you're with someone who's with Telstra, and in an ideal world the same phone (our case as all have iPhone 4's). Run some tests. Open webpages, tab from pages. DL some files and watch the DL speeds. Google Earth loads new pages in less than a seconds, and mate with Optus takes easy 3 - 4 seconds to do the same. Other on Vodafone comes off worst to Optus, but 'in our experience' Telstra seriously pisses over the rest.

Let alone when I have signal and they don't ...

I'm a phone tech and curse Telstra OFTEN, but credit where it's due! ...
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:36 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Work colleague is with Optus and trust me it's a diff league from Telstra.

Next time you're with someone who's with Telstra, and in an ideal world the same phone (our case as all have iPhone 4's). Run some tests. Open webpages, tab from pages. DL some files and watch the DL speeds. Google Earth loads new pages in less than a seconds, and mate with Optus takes easy 3 - 4 seconds to do the same. Other on Vodafone comes off worst to Optus, but 'in our experience' Telstra seriously pisses over the rest.

Let alone when I have signal and they don't ...

I'm a phone tech and curse Telstra OFTEN, but credit where it's due! ...
I hate Telstra when it comes to customer service, but i agree with you here. Using my iThing, which is Telstra, as opposed to the phones and blackberries we have at work, that are Optus, the difference at times is staggering, Tlelstra is sooo much faster.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:48 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Telstra customer service is the pits, if you run into issues you will be done for.
Vodaphone has a shocking reputation with regard to coverage.
Optus has exceptional customer service and from what I know, great coverage. For sure I'd pick Optus. Enjoy your trip
Old Jul 10th 2011, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Bizzarely my Vodafone Huwaei connection is up and active after two years of no use so we will wait and see.

Writing this from Coogee Beach and will pick up two sims from Optus/Telstra tomorrow.

Many thanks all.

Bezza

Last edited by bezzanbob; Jul 10th 2011 at 5:27 am.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 5:23 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Bizzarely my Vodafone Huwaei connection is up and active after two years of no use so we will wait and see.

Writing this form Coogee Beach and will pick up two sims from Optus/Telstra tomorrow.

Many thanks all.

Bezza
Enjoy the trip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.