Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pre-cast deck piers/supports

Pre-cast deck piers/supports

Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:14 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pre-cast deck piers/supports

Hi all,

I know I am probably embarking on another journey to disappointment via yet another wild goose chase for something that isn't available here, but in the US, you can buy pre-cast deck pier supports for home decking projects, as demonstrated here:

http://www.deckplans.com/

Now, these seem like the ideal solution to a small decking job I am thinking of doing in my back garden, but, as usual, the big questions are:

Where can I get them here?

Has anybody seen any similar products around?

Google has failed to provide any suppliers. I guess I could probably make them myself, with a bucket and some concrete, but that's probably more effort than it's worth.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

S
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:38 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre-cast deck piers/supports

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hi all,

I know I am probably embarking on another journey to disappointment via yet another wild goose chase for something that isn't available here, but in the US, you can buy pre-cast deck pier supports for home decking projects, as demonstrated here:

http://www.deckplans.com/

Now, these seem like the ideal solution to a small decking job I am thinking of doing in my back garden, but, as usual, the big questions are:

Where can I get them here?

Has anybody seen any similar products around?

Google has failed to provide any suppliers. I guess I could probably make them myself, with a bucket and some concrete, but that's probably more effort than it's worth.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

S

Oh dear. Not looking good then...

S
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:45 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Decks in Australia (well, in Queensland anyway, and I think the other states are the same) have to have engineered foundations - you can't just support the deck on concrete blocks sitting on top of the ground without first calculating the bearing capacity of the soil and ensuring the foundations meet the relevant building code. There are plenty of books available telling you how to design a deck.

The blocks you are talking about would be OK for laying a deck directly on a perfectly flat surface, but most decks in Australia are raised off the ground by a metre or so and those supports would not provide lateral stability.

You could do a similar job by laying the joists onto precast concrete pavers, available from any landscape supplies yard.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:53 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Decks in Australia (well, in Queensland anyway, and I think the other states are the same) have to have engineered foundations - you can't just support the deck on concrete blocks sitting on top of the ground without first calculating the bearing capacity of the soil and ensuring the foundations meet the relevant building code. There are plenty of books available telling you how to design a deck.

The blocks you are talking about would be OK for laying a deck directly on a perfectly flat surface, but most decks in Australia are raised off the ground by a metre or so and those supports would not provide lateral stability.

You could do a similar job by laying the joists onto precast concrete pavers, available from any landscape supplies yard.

Ah, now that's a good idea. I am just trying to put a level surface on my sloping garden. It slopes downwards by about 8 cm over 3m, so not very much at all. I don't want a raised platform like a traditional high deck. I think that possibly deck is the wrong word, but some pavers may well work. I could raise at one end using multiple pavers, or some bricks.

These things from the US were particularly interesting, as they had the notches for the joists pre-formed in the top. It would have been child's play to put together, just sinking them in slightly further at the top end of the garden, and would have also prevented any lateral movement of the frame.

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Jan 31st 2011 at 2:56 am.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:25 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

You could also do one of 2 things:

Put timber stumps straight into the ground surrounded by concrete and bearers on top for the supports. You will only need to go down about 400/500mm and they dont need much cement around them because its all downward pressure. Its not really that big a job, and wont be that expensive.

Another idea would be get a retaining wall cut in down the garden, use the fill from the lower end of the garden to level out the top end or put the retainer at the highest point and level the whole garden. You could then pave it or just put in grass, and then you have no oiling & maintaining the decking each year or two.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:17 am
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future

i have some data sheets... if you want a copy PM me with youe email addy
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:49 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

dig a hole about 400X400X300 with a threaded rod with a 90 degree angle in it,fill with concrete.build a 2 brick pier .old 9 inch type,as you go up twist some tie wires round the rod and into the brickwork.make sure there is enough rod to go through your main bearer so you can notch the bearer and tighten it to the brickwork with a nut..maximum 1800 hundred centers..or if your on rock,level the rock and use steel posts fixed direct with raw bolts..
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:55 am
has lost The Game

Cheers guys.

The garden is actually behind a short retaining wall, and is low enough that the top of the wall will prevent any movement of the frame. I think that I am just going to lay some pavers down as a base and make a frame out of 4x4 and add the decking to the top of that.

I know it's not a perfect job, but the finished thing will be so small anyway, I don't think it will matter too much. Plus, I need it in a hurry, so if the frame can be lifted and moved, I can add proper foundations later on.

S