British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Pre-booking flight seats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pre-booking-flight-seats-250315/)

Jaykay Aug 22nd 2004 11:20 pm

Re: Pre-booking flight seats

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Some airlines only let you book particular seats if you are a member of their Frequent flyer progarmme. Have emirates got a FF Club? if so it might be a way of getting a leg up :D

I'm a member of their frequent flyer programme "Skywards" or "Skyways" (can't remember off the top of my head).

I have used Emirates twice now to fly form UK to Oz and back, and on both occasions I have just rung them and told them which seats I wanted, and got them both times, and this was on both legs of the journey. Saying that I did ask for the double seats at the back of the plane, which most people probably didn't want anyway!!!

Regards

Trevglas Aug 23rd 2004 1:31 am

Dont know about emirates, but with Singapore airlines, if you are in the frequent flyer program, you can check in on line 48hrs before departure and select your seat from all those available.

It would be worth checking to see if Emirates do a similar thing

debsy Aug 23rd 2004 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Dont know about emirates, but with Singapore airlines, if you are in the frequent flyer program, you can check in on line 48hrs before departure and select your seat from all those available.

Thanks everyone. We have got skywards cards. I wil ring them today to see if I get any joy.

Thank lucy.

swissfabs Aug 23rd 2004 8:18 am

Originally Posted by debsy
Thanks everyone. We have got skywards cards. I wil ring them today to see if I get any joy.

Thank lucy.

Hi Debsy,

I fly JAL most of the times and I always request the seats when i book (via JAL directly) and at check in they always gave them to me. However, the check in staff said that i got them since i had specially requested them. If you havent requested them before check in there is absolutly no chance (according to the check in staff).

I know that if you are part of their frequent flyer programme you get preference, specially if you could get an update!

have a fantastic trip!

fabie

debsy Aug 23rd 2004 8:23 am

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Hi Debsy,

I fly JAL most of the times and I always request the seats when i book (via JAL directly) and at check in they always gave them to me. However, the check in staff said that i got them since i had specially requested them. If you havent requested them before check in there is absolutly no chance (according to the check in staff).

I know that if you are part of their frequent flyer programme you get preference, specially if you could get an update!

have a fantastic trip!

fabie

Thanks Fabs.

Well folks, I rang Emirates and got on to a different person. They have pre-booked the seats and given us a hotel in Dubai as we have over 8 hours to wait in Dubai:)

I asked for seats facing the wall so there is nobody in front and they have given them to me - but they said if any families with babies request them they will be subject to change.

swissfabs Aug 23rd 2004 9:16 am

Thanks Fabs.

Well folks, I rang Emirates and got on to a different person. They have pre-booked the seats and given us a hotel in Dubai as we have over 8 hours to wait in Dubai:)

I asked for seats facing the wall so there is nobody in front and they have given them to me - but they said if any families with babies request them they will be subject to change.

Great! Or u should ask for emergency exit seats!!! Heaps of legroom, no kids cause not allowed!
Great for the hotel in dubai as well, i love dubai!!!!

fabie

Stewie Aug 23rd 2004 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Bix
I've seen more than one thread where ppl thought they had reserved seats but were let down.

Maybe a case of the early bird catching the worm.

By that I don't just mean pre-booking but also getting to the airport in good time.

Bix is right.
We've flown with Emirates 3 times to Melbourne. The agent requests aisle or window seats for you but in reality this means nothing. You can't pre book a specific seat with Emirates unless you are in their "frequent flyers club".

You'll have to get to the front of the queue if there's a specific seat you want.
Of course if you're lucky enough to be in Business Class then that dosen't really matter :)

PHIZA Aug 23rd 2004 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Trevglas

Hi Trevglas, I have membership to the Singapore Krisflyer Programme, you don't have a link for the early on-line check in do you as with six of us traveling, this would be very useful! :)

PHIZA Aug 23rd 2004 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by PHIZA
Hi Trevglas, I have membership to the Singapore Krisflyer Programme, you don't have a link for the early on-line check in do you as with six of us traveling, this would be very useful! :)

I've just found it https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app...icArea=CheckIn
Thanks anyway! :)

Trevglas Aug 23rd 2004 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by PHIZA
I've just found it https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app...icArea=CheckIn
Thanks anyway! :)

Just be aware that you can only check in on the net no earlier than 48hrs before departure. You will need your passport numbers handy to to it. If you want to try to get a specific seat, check in via the net as early as possible (ie 47 and a half hours before departure).

I dont know if its because I have flown so much with them business class (many thanks to my employer!), the last time myself and my wife went economy class, we went for the seats at the very front of the cabin (those normally handed out to passengers with babies as they can hang the bassinettes from the bulkhead), but we got ourselves bumped up to business class, which was a nice result! Those seats are worth getting anyway, cos the legroom there is pretty good

wmoore Aug 23rd 2004 6:34 pm

Thanks Fabs.

I've just rung them, they answered straight away and the woman was very helpful. Booked our seats for each leg of the journey. Had to join Skywards first but it was all done in the same phone call.

Hels Aug 23rd 2004 6:40 pm

I read someone suggesting to request the emergency exit seats. They are wonderful for leg room, I agree totally. However, on one trip from Melbourne to LA, I requested the emergency exits and got them...all 3 of them in a row...and because the trays are in the arms of the chairs, you cant put the arms up so I couldnt lay down!!

What a waste of 3 empty seats...I was gutted.... :rolleyes:

wmoore Aug 23rd 2004 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Hels
What a waste of 3 empty seats...I was gutted.... :rolleyes:

You poor love. How did you manage? :D:D

Hels Aug 23rd 2004 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore
You poor love. How did you manage?

You sarcastic git..... :D ;)

I didnt sleep a wink the whole bloody flight....but I did survive!!! Just.... :eek: (Hey that eek icon was just how I looked after 24hrs straight with no sleep)

babybella Aug 23rd 2004 9:57 pm

Bulk head seats are the same, can't move the arm rests,don't go there unless you need a sky cot.
I find that stating one of my kids gets very air sick, often gets me an extra seat, after all no one wants to sit next to that!
Good luck
Kaz