Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Praying Mantis - they bite !!

Praying Mantis - they bite !!

Old Feb 26th 2006, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Diamond Lil will become famous soon enoughDiamond Lil will become famous soon enough
Default Praying Mantis - they bite !!

Did you know that Praying Mantis bite ? I know because I have just been bitten by one !!
I was pruning a bush when I felt a sharp stabbing pain in the crook of my arm. When I looked there was this big green thing - rearing up on it's hindquarters daring me to squash it again :scared: My first reaction was to flick it off and step on it because it hurt me but I took pity on it and put it on a twig. I have two puncture marks on my arm which feel just like those big ant bites - very red and itchy. Glad it wasn't my resident Tree Snake
Moral - wear long sleeves, gloves and hat when gardening

Liz
Old Feb 26th 2006, 4:55 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Praying Mantis - they bite !!

Originally Posted by Diamond Lil
Did you know that Praying Mantis bite ? I know because I have just been bitten by one !!
I was pruning a bush when I felt a sharp stabbing pain in the crook of my arm. When I looked there was this big green thing - rearing up on it's hindquarters daring me to squash it again :scared: My first reaction was to flick it off and step on it because it hurt me but I took pity on it and put it on a twig. I have two puncture marks on my arm which feel just like those big ant bites - very red and itchy. Glad it wasn't my resident Tree Snake

Liz
And in case anyone in the UK is not sure what Lil is describing, here's a photo of one I took on the beach in Greece -

Cheers

Buzzy
Attached Thumbnails Praying Mantis - they bite !!-mantis.jpg  
Old Feb 26th 2006, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Praying Mantis - they bite !!

Originally Posted by Diamond Lil

Liz
I'm glad you told me that! We have a rather cute looking one of the front door step occasionally. I think its the same one - or perhaps its one of many -anyway it looks so cute the way its head tilts - I had NO IDEA they bite!!!
I shall have to keep a distance now.

Netta