Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Prawns on the barbie..

Wikiposts

Prawns on the barbie..

Old Dec 24th 2006, 1:24 pm
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Prawns on the barbie..

Right ive had a bit too much bucks fizz (on the beer now ) and that time is getting near when I have to venture near to that metal box with a gas bottle underneath..I was a barbecue virgin before we came out here and so far I havent been more adventurous than the odd steak,pork chops and loadsa sausages.
Today we will be mainly eating Salmon and prawns (who remembers the fast show) with arrsorted salad and pasta.I recon the salmon will be easy enuff .Just wrap it in foil and bung it on but I dont want to kill the Mrs and kids with the prawns.How do i do them ? Ive googled them but I just keep getting fancy recipes .I supose my real question is do i take the shells off or cook them whole .High Heat ?..Pink means done right?
Any help will be appreciated ..Keep it easy folks .(Dont start with the cloves of garlic etc... ))
Happy Xmas....
Old Dec 24th 2006, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Prawns on the barbie..

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
Right ive had a bit too much bucks fizz (on the beer now ) and that time is getting near when I have to venture near to that metal box with a gas bottle underneath..I was a barbecue virgin before we came out here and so far I havent been more adventurous than the odd steak,pork chops and loadsa sausages.
Today we will be mainly eating Salmon and prawns (who remembers the fast show) with arrsorted salad and pasta.I recon the salmon will be easy enuff .Just wrap it in foil and bung it on but I dont want to kill the Mrs and kids with the prawns.How do i do them ? Ive googled them but I just keep getting fancy recipes .I supose my real question is do i take the shells off or cook them whole .High Heat ?..Pink means done right?
Any help will be appreciated ..Keep it easy folks .(Dont start with the cloves of garlic etc... ))
Happy Xmas....
I peel them first and pink means done - don't take long
No expert... but nobody ever died after eating them
Old Dec 24th 2006, 4:33 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

You can cook them in their shells, that way if you over cook(burn them to a crisp) it doesnt matter because the shells come off.

Are they pink or green? If pink, all you need to do is heat them through...they are cooked already. If green, cook them until they are pink!! Shouldnt take too long at all, just a couple of minutes either side if the BBQ is already hot.

As far as the salmon, dont do it in foil, put them straight onto the BBQ, skin side down first for about 5 mins, then turn over for just a minute and they are done and will taste yummy!!

Good luck
Old Dec 25th 2006, 11:07 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
You can cook them in their shells, that way if you over cook(burn them to a crisp) it doesnt matter because the shells come off.

Are they pink or green? If pink, all you need to do is heat them through...they are cooked already. If green, cook them until they are pink!! Shouldnt take too long at all, just a couple of minutes either side if the BBQ is already hot.

As far as the salmon, dont do it in foil, put them straight onto the BBQ, skin side down first for about 5 mins, then turn over for just a minute and they are done and will taste yummy!!

Good luck
Thanks for that .They were green and I cremated them in their shells.They turned out nice and pink and were not half bad.I had a side dish of imodiums with mine just in case
Old Dec 25th 2006, 12:36 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

A great sauce that goes with prawns, is a spicy chilli sauce.
Recipe below.

1.birds eye chillies( up to you how many) I use at least 8 or more.(very spicy)
2. Five big cloves of garlic
3. put these into a pestle and mortar and beat them to a pulp.
4. Cut up 4 lemons(you may need more) and squeeze the juice into the garlic chilli mix
5. Add some fish sauce more than lemon juice.
6. Add some sugar and taste.
You dont want too sour, sweet(unless you like it) or salty. Just keep tasting till happy. You may need to add more lemon juice, fish sauce or sugar till you find a taste that you like.
Then put into a bowl and now you have a dipping sauce for your prawns. Awsome! This was taught to me by a Thai friend years ago. I make it when we have prawns. Can also be made for dipping pork, chicken or beef. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by Jockstar; Dec 25th 2006 at 12:39 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Just chuck the prawns on the BBQ and douse in half a can of your favourite beer. (Use the other half in the can inserted in the rear end of your choice of poultry and cook bird upright on the Weber with the lid on)

Perfect!
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:16 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizzywozza
Just chuck the prawns on the BBQ and douse in half a can of your favourite beer. (Use the other half in the can inserted in the rear end of your choice of poultry and cook bird upright on the Weber with the lid on)

Perfect!

That sounds easy. Though i'd still go for my recipe with them,
Old Dec 26th 2006, 6:57 pm
Freedom!

Bought some prawns today. The wife wasnt feeling well so we went to the docs and she was told. No solid foods tonight. So no prawns for her. But being a gentleman i decided to wait till tomorrow before we have them. Nice big ones from Thailand. Cant belive the price in Oz for prawns. We used to pay NO MORE than 4 bucks to 10 bucks a kilo(that was expensive) in Thailand and they were still ALIVE and not frozen or cooked before hand.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Never buy frozen - no taste.

Just chuck them on and add some lemon juice.

Try big chopped veg on a stick to barbie

Or Corn on the cob - barbie then add pepper and butter

My fav - barbied Cicada