Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PR - We don't Vote?

PR - We don't Vote?

Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Re: PR - We don't Vote?

No they can't but a commonwealth citizen can vote in the UK so unfair!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:04 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just spoil the paper - they can fine you if you don't turn up to vote, but they have no control over what you actually put on the ballot paper
Consider the suffering endured by millions around the world desparate for the right to vote.

With that in mind, the concept of going to the polling booth to intentionally spoil a vote is frankly, downright selfish and borderline immoral.

If someone really wants to make a statement about how bad the choice is, simply don't vote and take the fine. Better yet, run for office and try to make an actual difference.

It's easy to find fault. It's damn hard to fix it, which is why most of the apathetic set (i.e. Lazy/Greedy/Spoiled) usually don't attempt to try.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, they can't control what you write on the paper because to do that they would have to SEE the paper - which means its no longer a secret ballot. So you can turn up, draw fluffy bunny wunnies on it, write "Deadvim for PM"on it, or scribble "help I'm being held prisoner in a chocolate factory" and they can't do anything about it - but they can't fine you either :thumbup
Useless fact #2673

Not many people know this. But in the UK they do know how you vote. The voting slip has a number on it which they write down when you present your polling card.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Consider the suffering endured by millions around the world desparate for the right to vote.

With that in mind, the concept of going to the polling booth to intentionally spoil a vote is frankly, downright selfish and borderline immoral.

If someone really wants to make a statement about how bad the choice is, simply don't vote and take the fine. Better yet, run for office and try to make an actual difference.

It's easy to find fault. It's damn hard to fix it, which is why most of the apathetic set (i.e. Lazy/Greedy/Spoiled) usually don't attempt to try.
Hey don't have a go at me, I'm just stating a fact in answer to the question. Personally I can't vote here, and even if I could, I disagree with compulsory voting so would rather pay the fine than turn up.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:46 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey don't have a go at me, I'm just stating a fact in answer to the question.
Nothing directed at you there Pollyanna.....it was simply the concept of intentional vote spoiling I felt strongly compelled to speak against. Invariably, individuals always need to decide their own course of action.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:47 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiled ballot papers are counted, and that can be an interpreted as abstaining. Abstaining is not immoral or selfish, it it letting the candidates know that you wouldn't vote for any of them.

If you don't show, you just get fined, and that is more likely to be included in statistics in other ways.

For me, it's better to show up and say no rather than stay away.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:46 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

How is it immoral? I think it's immoral that people are threatened with the power of the state if they don't "voluntarily" legitimise the election by voting from a fixed list of candidates. Voter turnout is a sign of voter disengagement with the process and (among other things) that the political parties are failing. If you stifle that warning sign, it's like putting a hood over the cage of the canary in the coal mine.

Liberal democracy is based on choice and a market model of society: that if there's a group of people whose views are not represented by the existing parties, then someone will realise there's an opportunity and move into that space. How is that responsiveness supposed to work if voters have to vote for one of the existing choices?

The current elections are like driving into a small country town where there are only two places to eat: McDonald's (Liberals - same old America-and-the-market-will-fix-everything capitalist nonsense) and Hungry Jack's (Labor - just the same as Maccas but with an Aussie facade).** There's not really much between them and you don't have faith in either. You might well feel like a curry, or a salad, or a lasagne, and so might plenty of other people in town - but the catch is that if anyone tries to leave town without eating anything, the cops will fine them!

** I suppose this makes the Greens the veggie burger option on the HJ's menu.

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Aug 6th 2010 at 2:49 am.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:56 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that everbody should have to cast a vote, yes people have fought and died for it *but* if when you get the polling booth you do not think that any party has earned the right to your vote then you should be allowed to tell them so in whatever words you choose.

Last edited by ex_exile; Aug 6th 2010 at 3:14 am.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of rubbish, spoiling the paper is the best way to show that there are no worthy candidates to vote for. Why should I have to pay a fine, its not my fault they are all idiots why should I have to pay for that.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:07 am

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
I agree that everbody should have to cast a vote, yes people have fought and died for it
Who were these people that fought and died for the right to be forced to vote?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:49 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Who were these people that fought and died for the right to be forced to vote?
Did I say that they fought and died for the right to be forced to vote? I don't think so. Punctuation my dear boy.

People have fought and died for the right to vote and continue to fight and die for fair votes and fair elections.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 7:05 am

Did I say that they fought and died for the right to be forced to vote? I don't think so. Punctuation my dear boy.
You might not have meant to but you did. The "it" refers to 'having to cast a vote'.
I agree that everbody should have to cast a vote, yes people have fought and died for it
Unless, perhaps, like Tony Abbott you don't necessarily want people to take notice of what you say?

PS: there should be a comma between "punctuation" and "my" in your second sentence.

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Aug 6th 2010 at 7:08 am.