Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PR Visa Question!!

PR Visa Question!!

Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:25 pm
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice
Default PR Visa Question!!

When/if I get my PR visa, I realise I have to travel to Australia wihtin 12 months to activate it, but can I come and go freely then, or am I restricted in anyway?? Do I have to stay in Australia say 6 months in every 12 for example??

The reason I ask is that there's a job that's come up recently here in the UK that I've always wanted, and if I get it I may decide to stay here a year or two before finally moving to Oz!

Thanks in advance!!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:28 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Visa Question!!

Originally Posted by GrantP
When/if I get my PR visa, I realise I have to travel to Australia wihtin 12 months to activate it, but can I come and go freely then, or am I restricted in anyway?? Do I have to stay in Australia say 6 months in every 12 for example??

The reason I ask is that there's a job that's come up recently here in the UK that I've always wanted, and if I get it I may decide to stay here a year or two before finally moving to Oz!

Thanks in advance!!
Within 12 months of medicals or PCC's then you can come and go as you wish.
Just be aware it is only valid for 5 years so if you are outside Australia at that time and dont have citizenship or RRV you are out. Also if you are in Australia at this time and leave without c/ship or RRV you wont be able to get back in on your visa

Last edited by seang; Apr 14th 2005 at 12:33 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:31 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

If you clock up two years within the first five years you can apply for citizenship and then come and go as you please!

Maybe take that "too good to turn down job" and enjoy it for a year or two til the novelty wears off!

Binbird
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:34 pm
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

Originally Posted by binbird
If you clock up two years within the first five years you can apply for citizenship and then come and go as you please!

Maybe take that "too good to turn down job" and enjoy it for a year or two til the novelty wears off!

Binbird
Oh, I wasn't aware of the 5 year rule!!?? ...so if I was to go to Oz this year, within 5 years I have to apply for citizenship!!?? ...or could you get another PR??
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:39 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I wasn't aware of the 5 year rule!!?? ...so if I was to go to Oz this year, within 5 years I have to apply for citizenship!!?? ...or could you get another PR??
Not really and yet yes. Your PR visa is for indefinate stay but if you dont have citizenship or a RRV at the end of 5 years and you leave Australia or are not in Australia your PR runs out .The important bit there is you can stay on your PR but if you need to leave and re-enter after 5 years or coming up to 5 years then it gets tricky.
Dont take my word as gospel but that is my understanding
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:48 pm
Welsh Member!!

Originally Posted by seang
Not really and yet yes. Your PR visa is for indefinate stay but if you dont have citizenship or a RRV at the end of 5 years and you leave Australia or are not in Australia your PR runs out .The important bit there is you can stay on your PR but if you need to leave and re-enter after 5 years or coming up to 5 years then it gets tricky.
Dont take my word as gospel but that is my understanding
What's an RRV? ...like a 'right of abode'??

It sounds like I could quite easily delay my migration for a couple of years then, and still have 3 years remaining on my PR!?? That would give me time to organise citizenship after 2 years!!??
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:49 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

It's up to you whether you apply for citizenship or not but it makes long term stay in Australia a hell of a lot easier! There are obviously alternatives but if you have been granted a PR visa then it is the easiest option if you can commit to two years in Australia.

Binbird
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:50 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

What's an RRV? ...like a 'right of abode'??
Residents Return Visa
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:16 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Lightbulb Re: PR Visa Question!!

Thanks in advance!!
After you are granted a visa. The PR. its mentioned on the visa that you are eleigible for multiple entry for that many years (5 years).
I read in DIMIA somewhere, that you have to have completed 2 yrs in Australia to get your Citizenship. Now the total of 2 yrs can be in bits and pieces (I mean your stay in Oz) but you should be in Australia for last 12 months for the date you apply for citizenship.
so sum total:
1. 2 years in length of 5 yrs in Oz. After 2 yrs you are eleigble of Citizenship.
2. When you apply for citizenship last 1 yr you shlould be in Australia w/o a single break..
Hope that helps...
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:42 pm
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light

A quick clarification if I may...

In order to get Citizenship you have to be in Oz for 2 years which I understand....so does this mean that you cannot leave the country - even for a holiday...for two years, or the clock starts again until the five years are up?

Any thoughts...experiences?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:59 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Lightbulb Re: PR Visa Question!!

Originally Posted by RayZor
A quick clarification if I may...

In order to get Citizenship you have to be in Oz for 2 years which I understand....so does this mean that you cannot leave the country - even for a holiday...for two years, or the clock starts again until the five years are up?

Any thoughts...experiences?
First, Welcome to the mad mad forum...
hey I mentioned in bits and pieces...you mean you can travel n no. of times.. Multiple times hey..2 yrs from 5 yrs ok...
go for holiday 3 straight yrs and stay for 2 yrs in Oz and you are done..
All the best...
Old Apr 15th 2005, 7:23 am
Welsh Member!!

Thanks for all your replies! ...much appreciated!!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 8:24 am
ABCDiamond

The website for Citizenship info:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/

To apply for Australian citizenship you would need to have been in Australia for at least 2 years as a permanent resident in the last five years.

This time must include a total of twelve months in the two years immediately before making your citizenship application. The twelve months does NOT need to be continuous.

Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The website for Citizenship info:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/
And for those who don't become citizens, form 968i is an essential read:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

Jeremy