Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PR Visa expired -problem

PR Visa expired -problem

Old Dec 25th 2004, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR Visa expired -problem

My PR visa has recently expired. The family would like to return for a holiday to the UK in August - we have the return tickets too which are non negotiable. I have not been living in Australia for 2 years out of the last five. Having read the Immigration web site it looks as I will not be allowed a renewed PR. If I leave Australia before completing the two years (even for a holiday) I will not be able to return as a PR. Not really sure why this restriction is imposed.

Has anyone had a similar experience happen to them?
Old Dec 25th 2004, 8:50 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PR Visa expired -problem

Originally Posted by Ian12
My PR visa has recently expired. The family would like to return for a holiday to the UK in August - we have the return tickets too which are non negotiable. I have not been living in Australia for 2 years out of the last five. Having read the Immigration web site it looks as I will not be allowed a renewed PR. If I leave Australia before completing the two years (even for a holiday) I will not be able to return as a PR. Not really sure why this restriction is imposed.

Hello,

You will need to get a Resident Return Visa (RRV).
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/ostravel1.htm

Not really sure why this restriction is imposed.
This is because Australia would like PRs to become citizens. However the 2 years is needed to stop people gaining a passport for convienience.

Regards
Alistair
Old Dec 27th 2004, 12:54 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian12

DIMIA are usually not very sympathetic to permanent residents who leave Australia (even for a holiday) when their permanent visa's travel facility has expired and they don't yet qualify for a Resident Return Visa (RRV).

If you want to take a short holiday (even for a day) when in your stated position, you shouldn't expect DIMIA to bend over backwards to offer you an RRV.

However, if you have compelling reasons (e.g. serious illness in your immediate family overseas), you might be able to get a 3-month RRV, which will permit you to return as a permanent resident within the stipulated time period.

Permanent visas are meant for people to live in Australia. One such measurement of this is the 2-year residency period for an RRV or citizenship (which has additional residency requirements). Your best bet now is to suck it in and chalk up the 2 years required to get yourself an RRV. Alternatively, wait till you qualify for citizenship.

Peter
Old Dec 27th 2004, 6:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ptlabs
However, if you have compelling reasons (e.g. serious illness in your immediate family overseas), you might be able to get a 3-month RRV, which will permit you to return as a permanent resident within the stipulated time period.

Permanent visas are meant for people to live in Australia. One such measurement of this is the 2-year residency period for an RRV or citizenship (which has additional residency requirements). Your best bet now is to suck it in and chalk up the 2 years required to get yourself an RRV. Alternatively, wait till you qualify for citizenship.

Peter
There is a further possibility - it is sometimes possible to get the 5 year RRV without having the 2 years if you can show 'substantial ties' to Australia. This is a lot easier if you are obviously *living* in Australia (not visiting) and can demonstrate this. However it is not automatic.

Ian should download and read form 968i.

An area like this is complex and not really suitable for an online forum. Good professional advice adds a lot of value in cases like this.

Jeremy