Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PR, UK qualifications and jobs down under

PR, UK qualifications and jobs down under

Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default PR, UK qualifications and jobs down under

Hi All,

Now that we finally got our PR, it's time for planning.

I have read several post commenting about how hard is to find a job down-under even though the economy in Australia looks much better than here in the UK.

Does anyone have first hand information about how hard (or easy) is to find a job in Australia (sydney)?, How good is to have UK qualifications (masters degree level) in the architecture(sustainability field) and marketing (or in general)?

We are planning to make the move, but having at least one decent job here in the UK we want to move at the right time.

Thanks everybody!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default Re: PR, UK qualifications and jobs down under

Alright I'll try to make it easier..

Does anyone have information about how helpful is to have UK qualifications (masters degree level) to find a job in Sydney?

Cheers!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

it isn't about making it easier for us.

I suspect the lack of responses is to do with the broadness of the question ... how easy is it to get a job?

Here is one possible answer.

"It's quite easy"

Has that helped?

Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
it isn't about making it easier for us.

I suspect the lack of responses is to do with the broadness of the question ... how easy is it to get a job?

Here is one possible answer.

"It's quite easy"

Has that helped?

This is better than nothing... Thanks!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAR001
Hi All,

Now that we finally got our PR, it's time for planning.

I have read several post commenting about how hard is to find a job down-under even though the economy in Australia looks much better than here in the UK.

Does anyone have first hand information about how hard (or easy) is to find a job in Australia (sydney)?, How good is to have UK qualifications (masters degree level) in the architecture(sustainability field)
Depends on if these qualifications are recognised by the architect professional organisations in Australia.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Depends on if these qualifications are recognised by the architect professional organisations in Australia.
Thanks for your reply,

Yes indeed the architectural qualifications are already recognised by AACA. Apart of this one a Msc in Energy and Sustainable Building Design.
- My husband is a Graphic designer with a master in Design Management and a Master in Marketing plus some professional qualifications.

It has been a nightmare to find a job here in London, I have one that barely gives to pay the bills and my husband has been almost one year looking for a job. We just want to be prepared knowing how to expect.

Cheers.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I suspect the lack of responses are because of the time the original question was asked.

Here's a tip. Don't forget about the time difference.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

You will have to trawl the job websites like SEEK to see how buoyant your fields are at the moment. There is a bit of weight to a CV with "Australian experience" that you dont have, this could be something that holds you back temporarily, but is not the end of the world. You might have to take a lower rung position than you had in the UK or a position for a bit less money than you think you are worth at this stage in your career, so that you can get the Aus experience on your CV and in 6 months or a year get the job you really want. Good luck.