British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   PR Spouse Visa timeline (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pr-spouse-visa-timeline-106752/)

sophia Feb 23rd 2002 2:34 pm

PR Spouse Visa timeline

Hi there everyone- thanks for the support!! The timeline was as follows:

Went to Australia on a belated honeymoon last October (01) and went to Sydney DIMA to get the paperwork (we'd decided whilst there that we wanted to live there) and ask about my 2 year old son's nationality status (he is an Australian Citizen by descent because of my Australian nationality so only needed to apply for hubby!)

Returned to UK end of October and set about filling in the forms.

Needed certified copies of just about everything (passports, birth certificates etc) and we also had to both do a history of our relationship which included examples of supporting one another emotionally and financially to prove it was a genuine relationship.
We simply related everything that had happened to us in the time we were together; although we included stuff like his bank statements which show a monthly outgoing into my account and a letter from our endowment people, we didn't include too much, we figured if they didn't believe us they would ask for more proof and not to overwhelm them with too much information.

*just a note about the certified copies-I've seen lots of people on this site telling others to use notary publics from the yellow pages and I understand they cost a fortune-we went to the solicitor we used for making our will and he did everything for NO CHARGE!!!!*

We also needed statutory declarations from two people who confirmed our relationship was genuine. Again we used the local solicitor who told us to write out roughly what we wanted to say and he had this made into a legal document. We then took our two people in to swear an oath in front of another solicitor who then witnessed them sign the declarations (this cost us £5 each). We used my Dad and a long standing friend of Gareths.

Once we had all that together we triple checked everything (like you do!!!) and sent it off special delivery on 14th Jan 2002.

Two and a half weeks (28th Jan) later a letter arrived from Australia House asking my husband to go for his medical and get his police clearance certificates. We did this and sent them back to Australia House on 16th February 2002.

We received a letter dated 19th February saying my husbands visa had been granted.

I hope this is of some use to you, if you want to know more, please ask.

Sophia x

Lynn-ann Feb 23rd 2002 8:01 pm

Re: PR Spouse Visa timeline

Hi Sophia, We have done everything like you. Its my husband who needs the visa, I also have one son who is an Australian Citizen by desent. Applied 2nd Jan 2002 included medical and police cert. File ref: arrived 23rd Jan. Just waiting.
Who was your Case Officer and what does your surname initial start with? Just trying to figure out why you have already got yours and if ours maybe on its way.
Thanks

sophia Feb 24th 2002 2:07 pm

Hi Lynn-Ann

Our case officer was Zoe Herman and our surname is Williams.

Not sure if we were just lucky or what!! But whatever it was I'm sure glad it happened.

Hope yours runs as quickly and smoothly as ours did. Let us know if you hear anything!!

Regards

Sophia x

Lynn-ann Feb 24th 2002 2:27 pm

Hi Sophia,
Thanks for your quick reply. Different Case Officer but would you believe it, our surname is Williams. Maybe its the Case Officers work load that differs. Will let you know when we hear anything. What part of Oz are you settling in (Sydney?) and how soon are you going?

sophia Feb 24th 2002 2:34 pm

Hi lynn-ann

Strange world eh? We are initially moving to Rockingham (WA) as I have family already out there but we are prepared to move around if it doesn't suit us.

My little boy is 2 in a few weeks so we have a while yet before we have to settle down and think about schools etc. We learn't our lesson the hard way....life is WAY too short to be too restrictive with yourselves!!

Keep in touch, be nice to hear how your case turns out.

S x