PR question

Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of
Default PR question

Hi all,
wonder if someone could answer a couple of questions for me, me and my family have been in OZ for 2 1/2 years so far on a 457 visa, thinking of applying for PR, was told by someone that we can take our citizen test next year as we will have been in OZ for 4 years, heard we only have to be a PR for a year but in OZ for 4 all up...... God i dont even know if that makes any sense.
Also next question is i have had all the children i am going to have and was trying to get in to uni to do nursing, was told to go home to the U.K to study as the nurse degree here is only Australia wide and is not up to scratch in other countries, dont know if this is the truth or not, would be gratefull of any comments.

Cheers
Suzanne
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR question

Originally Posted by svinnes
Hi all,
wonder if someone could answer a couple of questions for me, me and my family have been in OZ for 2 1/2 years so far on a 457 visa, thinking of applying for PR, was told by someone that we can take our citizen test next year as we will have been in OZ for 4 years, heard we only have to be a PR for a year but in OZ for 4 all up...... God i dont even know if that makes any sense.
If your PR is granted 1st July 2007 or later you need 4 years of lawful residence before applying for citizenship of which 1 year must be PR. So yes that is all true...all the time spent in Oz on your 457 is lawful residence.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
If your PR is granted 1st July 2007 or later you need 4 years of lawful residence before applying for citizenship of which 1 year must be PR. So yes that is all true...all the time spent in Oz on your 457 is lawful residence.
Perfect thanks for that, i have heard so many conflicting stories on everything, dont know what to believe.

Thanks
Suzanne
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:45 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Cheers
Suzanne
Yup, get your PR then 12 months later you can become a citizen.

I cant comment ont he quality of the nursing degree but you may want to know the following:

1) on 457 you will pay (hefty) international fees
2) on PR you will 'normal" fees but need to pay up front (annually I think)
3) with Citizenship you can access HECS so basically don't pay fees until you have competed the course and earn above a certain level.

You might want to get your PR and then your Citizenship before applying.

Last edited by jayr; Apr 29th 2008 at 10:51 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Does anyone know once we get our citizenship, how long do we need to stay in OZ.... or can we go straight away!

Suzanne
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:53 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Does anyone know once we get our citizenship, how long do we need to stay in OZ.... or can we go straight away!

Suzanne
Once you get your citizenship (and passorts) then you can do whatever you like, including getting on the next plane out.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by comet555
Once you get your citizenship (and passorts) then you can do whatever you like, including getting on the next plane out.
Hi Comet,

Do we have to apply for citizenship??? not sure on this one

Suzanne
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:01 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Comet,

Do we have to apply for citizenship??? not sure on this one

Suzanne
Yes you do have to apply for it. Some people choose not to go for citizenship and remain on a PR indefinitely, that's probably because lots of people can't hold dual citizenship with their home country.

You can hold dual citizenship with the UK so if you can get it you might as well.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by comet555
Yes you do have to apply for it. Some people choose not to go for citizenship and remain on a PR indefinitely, that's probably because lots of people can't hold dual citizenship with their home country.

You can hold dual citizenship with the UK so if you can get it you might as well.
Thanks again...we might go home not too sure, one muniute all for the U.K then the next love it here and thats all before lunch time, mY oldest daughter has not settled but then i am thinking thats an age thing, we are going home for a holiday in Oct so that should hopefully make up our minds where we want to be.

Suzanne
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:25 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again...we might go home not too sure, one muniute all for the U.K then the next love it here and thats all before lunch time, mY oldest daughter has not settled but then i am thinking thats an age thing, we are going home for a holiday in Oct so that should hopefully make up our minds where we want to be.

Suzanne
With only 18 months until you can become citizens I strongly recommend you se that time out. Get your PR application in quick smart and once you have that get your citizenship application in after 12 months.

Your daughter may not like it now, but get Citizenship and you give her (and yourselves) the lifetime opportunity of retutning to Australia. You, and she, may not ever be in that position again; don't waste it.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jayr
With only 18 months until you can become citizens I strongly recommend you se that time out. Get your PR application in quick smart and once you have that get your citizenship application in after 12 months.

Your daughter may not like it now, but get Citizenship and you give her (and yourselves) the lifetime opportunity of retutning to Australia. You, and she, may not ever be in that position again; don't waste it.
Thats what we have decided to do, but i am not sure that once we get citizenship and we return to the U.K how long can we stay away before we have to apply to get back in to OZ? or can we stay away for years.

Suzanne
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats what we have decided to do, but i am not sure that once we get citizenship and we return to the U.K how long can we stay away before we have to apply to get back in to OZ? or can we stay away for years.

Suzanne

When you get citizenship your PR visa will expire. You will need to get an Australian passport so that if you leave Australia you will be allowed to re-enter.

As far as I'm aware, as long as you renew the Australian Passport every 10 years, you can stay away as long as you like.

M
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:45 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Suzanne
Once you have citizenship and your passports you could leave Oz and stay in the UK for the next 20 years if you like.

Having Oz citizenship means you can come back whenever you like for the rest of your life. They have to allow you back into the country so that's all you will need.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
regarding the nursing degree. You could do it here, once you are PR you can also apply for sponsorship that covers costs of course. See royal college of nursing website.
Also you can study nursing distance learning, via open universities and a couple of other universities do it too.

Cost of course is high on 457 but once you got your PR your fees go low. Nursing is shortage so fees are often cheaper. But you can get scholarships.

Also I reckon you would be more likely to get a job here in OZ, as chronic shortage.

I would be very surprised if it wasnt accepted at other countries. Other proffessions are accepted back in the UK, eg teachers.

Gems
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
Do you know if being in Australia on a working holiday Visa counts towards the 4 years?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.