Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PR - Leaving Australia

PR - Leaving Australia

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:53 am
Just Joined

gfrost75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR - Leaving Australia

A short while ago I got my Australian PR - very pleased indeed.

However I have now been made an offer that I would be Stupid to turn down. It means that I will be leaving Australia for at least 2 years.

However things start getting really complicated with tax and residency. Are the ATO residency and DIMA residency completely different things.

I don't want to be leaving Australia and paying Australian taxes, but at the same time I don't want to leave Australia to work overseas, but loose my PR.

If I complete ATO Form N3407 (Final assesement) saying that I am leaving permanently, will that impact my PR status?

My PR says that it is valid until Late '08, am I able to 'check out' of Australia, work overseas, travel etc, so long as I return before it expires?

All help appreciated.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Hmmm, I think I posted this in the wrong forum, I'll put it in the Immigration section.

Sorry.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 2:04 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can check out as you put it - there are rules about length of stay for Citizenship within certain periods. But basically that PR five years you can go for your two year work one and come back.

I take it you are here in Aus now?
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Sandra
Yes you can check out as you put it - there are rules about length of stay for Citizenship within certain periods. But basically that PR five years you can go for your two year work one and come back.

I take it you are here in Aus now?
Thanks Sandra

Yes I am in Aus now, my visa has been evidenced etc.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 2:10 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by gfrost75
Thanks Sandra

Yes I am in Aus now, my visa has been evidenced etc.
I have considered work in the UK (did have a couple of few week trips for work) and am currently working in NZ - all these exits will count against me for citizenship and extend the time but not overral against my PR. If you were to say work outside Aus for the next five years arrive back in just before your five year visa expires - you might then be best to stay for a while!!! So to prove your worth for retruning residency - but two years isn't a big deal. Many validate on a trip and do not move here for two/three/fours years, leaving is no different.

Good Job?????
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 2:24 am
Just Joined

Sandra,

Thanks for your help, that makes a lot of sense.

And wrt the job, yeah its fantastic one of those once in a lifetime opportunities.

Cheers
G
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Permanent Resident and tax resident are not connected in any way. You can always validate your visa (get PR) and then not take up residency for several years. You should not have to pay tax to australia but should check the exacting rules....they probably have rules such as if you spend more than 6 months of the year in oz then you pay tax...etc....

Speak to the ATO

As others have said....you need to make it back to oz within 5 years of your visa grant so that you don't lose your PR status.