Reload this Page >

from PR to Citizen

from PR to Citizen

Old Feb 1st 2004, 10:33 am
Just Joined

calviny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default from PR to Citizen

Dear all,

I have a question about australian PR getting citizenship, but cannot get a proper answer so far. So i would like to see if anyone one here know the answer or having simliar experience.

My question is:
For an Australian PR, it have a 5 yrs time to complete his/her "commitment". He/she must have 2 yrs time staying in australia in order to allow him/her to apply for citizenship status.
I understand this part.

But what my concern is, is it the PR must complete this 2 yrs staying requirement with the 5 yrs time? or The PR can actually go back to australia at the end of Fifth year and staying in australia for another 2 years. So at the end of "Seventh" yr, the PR will also be able to apply for citizenship?

THe reason of my concern is, I am currently working oversea and worrying I go back to australia in wrong timing and will loss my chance to apply for citizenship.

THanks for any inputs!!!

Calvin
Old Feb 1st 2004, 10:37 am
ABCDiamond

The full info will be at this link http://www.citizenship.gov.au/how.htm
Hope it helps.

Specifically:

Have you been present in Australia as a permanent resident for two years in the previous five years, including for twelve months in the past two years?

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Feb 1st 2004 at 10:39 am.

Old Feb 1st 2004, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

My understanding is that the 5 years is a period when you can re-enter without a "residents return" visa. You can stay in Australia for as long as you want after that, but if you leave you'll need a residents return visa.

So the simple answer is, yes you can arrive at the end of the 5 years, stay for 2 more and get citizenship and an Aussie passport. The risk you run is that if you have to return home unexpectedly - a family illness is a common reason - you will probably not be allowed back in. The scuttlebutt is that DIMIA is reluctant to accept mitigating circumstances.

I'm not an agent or lawyer (possibly an international jewel thief though)

Last edited by CHnJ; Feb 1st 2004 at 11:13 am.
Old Feb 1st 2004, 12:07 pm
Badge

Originally posted by CHnJ
My understanding is that the 5 years is a period when you can re-enter without a "residents return" visa. You can stay in Australia for as long as you want after that, but if you leave you'll need a residents return visa.

So the simple answer is, yes you can arrive at the end of the 5 years, stay for 2 more and get citizenship and an Aussie passport. The risk you run is that if you have to return home unexpectedly - a family illness is a common reason - you will probably not be allowed back in. The scuttlebutt is that DIMIA is reluctant to accept mitigating circumstances.

I'm not an agent or lawyer (possibly an international jewel thief though)
correct. If you had to leave you would have to get some category of RRV.

Old Feb 1st 2004, 10:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by badgersmount
correct. If you had to leave you would have to get some category of RRV.
And if you dont have it, you need a DAMN good reason for them to let you back in !!

It happened to me, my RRV ran out, and I was put through hoops to be allowed back in, and it was touch and go and one point.

And for those who think it depends on circumstances, my circumstances were:
- Australian Wife (married 10 years prior to this event)
- Australian Daughter (athough born in UK)
- House in Australia

It was a lot of hassle, and two long interviews !

Bottom line:- make sure you have the visa to get back !!
Originally posted by CHnJ with extra word added by me
DIMIA is VERY reluctant to accept mitigating circumstances

Old Feb 1st 2004, 10:36 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Dual citizenship seems like the most straightforward option for UK passport holders. No need to renew RRVs every 5 years.