Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Powered campsites in Tasmania

Powered campsites in Tasmania

Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Powered campsites in Tasmania

Hey everyone, My partner and I are going on holiday to tassie in december, have hired a campervan and will fly into Hobart. We are planning to drive upto Frecinet national park, check out the wildlife, stop off at some of the white sandy beaches, and hopefully go to a wildlife park. Then maybe stay in or around Bichino then see if we can make it to Cradle mountain. We will be there for 7 days,

Does anyone know of some decent campsites (powered)? have googled but havent come up with many.

Anyone have any 'must dos' or 'must sees' in Tassie??

any ideas/help would be great.

cheers

Sugo

oh yeah, sorry about the spelling, not sure if i have the names right, im of the xbox generation.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Powered campsites in Tasmania

Originally Posted by Sugo
Hey everyone, My partner and I are going on holiday to tassie in december, have hired a campervan and will fly into Hobart. We are planning to drive upto Frecinet national park, check out the wildlife, stop off at some of the white sandy beaches, and hopefully go to a wildlife park. Then maybe stay in or around Bichino then see if we can make it to Cradle mountain. We will be there for 7 days,

Does anyone know of some decent campsites (powered)? have googled but havent come up with many.

cheers

Sugo

oh yeah, sorry about the spelling, not sure if i have the names right, im of the xbox generation.
Have you had a browse through this site - pretty good for accomodation over there.

http://www.discovertasmania.com/

Freycinet is stunningly lovely - make sure you go to Wineglass Bay. Loads of wildlife up there, including very friendly wallabies that wander the carpark.

Penguin tours and glass-bottomed boats trips from Bicheno, also a fantastic walk round the headland to the Blowhole.

Cradle Mountain is beautifully wild - amazing scenery. Lake St Clair is a wonderful little oasis, and there are walks of all lengths, from a few yards, to several days. The weather round there can change suddenly though so make sure you have something warm with you, and something waterproof. Last time I went through there in summer we had sleet, while 50 miles down the road it was tshirt weather.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There's a great wildlife park at Boonoorong, just outside Brighton which is a few miles from Hobart. If you get the time try and dive up Mount Wellington, which overlooks Hobart itself - vewis from the top right across the island, so make sure its a clear day.
If you're into seafood, you'll be spoiled for choice, fantastic restaurants on the waterfront. Also a brilliant steak place called the Ball and Chain in Salamanca Place right at the end of the harbour front, worth a night in Hobart for the food alone
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:49 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo

cheers

Sugo

HI dont know if you've been on this website but it lists all camp sites in Tas

http://www.tas.gov.au/tasmaniaonline...+accommodation

also the tourism page of that site

http://www.tas.gov.au/tasmaniaonline...?Topic=Tourism

even though Tas look very small drive times can be long especially when you only have a short time to look round, there are some drive times on this link

http://www.puretasmania.com.au/default.asp?pID=28

Freycinet is beautiful well worth going to, Bicheno is ok but unless your into the penguins I wouldnt stop, theres not a lot there, Bay of Fires is much nicer you could stay there if you have time.

It really depends what you are into as you are not going to cover it all in 7 days.

For me worth seeing are: Russel Falls near Westerway Mt Field then go up to the Cradle mountain area via the Great Lakes and Great western Tiers have a look at Sheffield for the Murals and scenery, Straun is beautiful on the West coast theres plenty to do there but may be a bit far to go over there though, if you want convict history Port Arthur is great.

theres a lot of wildlife parks around, Wings Wildlife park Gunns Plains looks very good, we've only been in the cafe though. you can camp there.

http://www.wingswildlife.com.au/accommodation.html

Gunns Plains and surrounds are a beautiful area, about an hours drive from Cradle Mt, there are limestone caves there and Leven Canyon nearby.

Hope some of that is of use