Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Power Tools - Buy in UK or OZ

Power Tools - Buy in UK or OZ

Old Oct 25th 2003, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default Power Tools - Buy in UK or OZ

Hiya,

My husband is a plumber and is not sure whether to replace is power tools before we leaave the UK or wait till we are in Oz to replace them.

Has anyone any idea how costs and availability compare.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 7:14 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Power Tools - Buy in UK or OZ

Originally posted by jwinch
Hiya,

My husband is a plumber and is not sure whether to replace is power tools before we leaave the UK or wait till we are in Oz to replace them.

Wait till oz...they are priced pretty much the same, and there is no point in buying them here and having to change plugs etc when you land.

For things that are rechargable (drills etc) you would need to carry an England>Oz adpter around with you......as they will have a transformer and you can't change the plug.

Last edited by PeteY; Oct 25th 2003 at 7:21 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Can anyone recommend any good websites ?
Old Oct 25th 2003, 7:20 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

LOL.

In trying to help you i think i have found heaven in an internet link

http://www.hardwareshop.com.au/
Old Oct 25th 2003, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks

That should keep the old man happy for a while as long as I keep pressing the right buttons (He is a computer illiterate)

What is it with men and power tools ?
Old Oct 25th 2003, 8:56 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

jwinch,
What is it with men and power tools ?

I could say that it was the thought of making all those holes and screwing everything with man's best frend - The rechargable drill. But this would be too crass.

It's just a boy's toy's thing.
Hold it in your hand and have to press the triger and feel the power.
(That sounds just as bad though!)

Bye
Markeh [/QUOTE]
Old Oct 25th 2003, 9:57 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone recommend any good websites ?
Try this one www.toolies.com.au ........... MM
Old Oct 25th 2003, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby never had any power tools till we came to NZ and now he's building up a veritable array. He keeps reading the Mitre 10 and Hammer Hardware junk mail as if they were the gospels!!

Gill
Old Oct 25th 2003, 11:15 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

I've shipped all my tools over. In total we shipped 10 large boxes for less than the price of a decent hammer drill. If you have them then take them you'll get peanuts for them here if you sell second hand and I couldn't replace my tools for less than a couple of £k
I even shipped a couple of transformers as most of my site tools are 110v. Aussies don't use the 110v stuff preffering an earth leakage trip not as good by a long way as the U.K system I'm hoping to start a new trend.
Sean
Old Oct 26th 2003, 11:16 pm
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

It's probably worth your while bringing over a couple of those 4-way or 6way buzz bar things.

That way you all you have to do is change the power plug and you can still use several UK appliances at once until you either change the plugs individually or throw them away.

Also handy for when people come to visit and haven't bought an adaptor with them!

Hiya,

Old Oct 28th 2003, 5:00 am
Just Joined

LeaB is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby can't wait to get to Oz - the variety of tools are amazing - we visited a shop called Bunnings - the biggest hardware type shop I've ever seen!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I've been checking out power tool prices since I got here and they are mostly the same but the better quality ones (makita dewalt hilti) are quite a bit more expensive, I'm glad all mine are in the container (all £5000 quids worth) on its way out here, god I miss em, I had to buy some bits and peices to assemble a new childs bike and change plugs, wish I'd put a basic set in the suitcases.
Bunnings has a kids playground so I an drool over the tools whilst the kids have a ball.
Oh and for any brickies coming out here (Perth) Marshalltown trowels are very expensive but Stabila levels are very cheap??

Hiya,

Last edited by Stoney; Oct 28th 2003 at 2:02 pm.