power tools

Old Apr 9th 2003, 11:57 am
will be there soon!!!!!

debs&tim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default power tools

Hi to anybody that can help.
Hubbie is a chippy and uses a lot of 110volt power tools on site. Is is a problem in Australia?
He has heard that they only use 240volt!
Will he have to sell all his tools and replace with 240volt when we get there.
It seems a real shame to have to sell all his tools and have to buy new.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance
Debs
Old Apr 9th 2003, 12:26 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: power tools

Originally posted by debs&tim
Hubbie is a chippy and uses a lot of 110volt power tools on site. Is is a problem in Australia?
Hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance
Debs
All 240 V is correct.

Most domestic quality power tools are cheap by most peoples standards, trade quality around 2 - 3 times the price.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 12:30 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

Hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance
Debs
Old Apr 9th 2003, 12:35 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

Hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance
Debs
I imagine 110V power tools are used in Oz as using 240V on site would be downright lethal. If not, you can get a 240/110V step down transformer, which we sometimes use when we get the odd customer who has no 110V supply. This converts 240V to 110V so you can power your 110V tools from a 240V supply.
I'm not sure about the 110V plugs though - he may need to change them.

Hope this helps

Dave
Old Apr 9th 2003, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

all 110v have yellow leads/plugs which plug into his transformer..

normally all tradesmen here would be equiped like this..

if your using your own tools (like most do on site natch) i can't see where the problem arises..

cheers

richard
Old Apr 9th 2003, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Bluerobot
I imagine 110V power tools are used in Oz as using 240V on site would be downright lethal.

Dave

most other countries use 240v on site but use a RCD as the protection device :scared:

hope this helps

bussie
Old Apr 9th 2003, 4:22 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bluerobot
I imagine 110V power tools are used in Oz as using 240V on site would be downright lethal. If not, you can get a 240/110V step down transformer, which we sometimes use when we get the odd customer who has no 110V supply. This converts 240V to 110V so you can power your 110V tools from a 240V supply.
I'm not sure about the 110V plugs though - he may need to change them.

Hope this helps

Dave

Your supposition is incorrect,
I posted a similar question a while ago and then spoke to my Dad who's an electrician currently in Queensland his reply is below.

>You would be able to use your 110volt tools here with your transformer and it would be safer, also 110-volt tools are usually industrial models and are often made to a higher spec. The protection they use here is earth leakage trips as they still haven't embraced the concept of a centre tapped transformer with only 55volts to earth, as is the standard in UK.<

I have loads of 110v tools and plan to take the lot as I prefer the familiarity of my own tools and know their limitations I guess most tradesmen are the same in that respect. I have a couple of nearly new transformers and these can easily be rewound/repaired should the need arise.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 8:16 pm
will be there soon!!!!!

Originally posted by cresta57
Your supposition is incorrect,
I posted a similar question a while ago and then spoke to my Dad who's an electrician currently in Queensland his reply is below.

>You would be able to use your 110volt tools here with your transformer and it would be safer, also 110-volt tools are usually industrial models and are often made to a higher spec. The protection they use here is earth leakage trips as they still haven't embraced the concept of a centre tapped transformer with only 55volts to earth, as is the standard in UK.<

I have loads of 110v tools and plan to take the lot as I prefer the familiarity of my own tools and know their limitations I guess most tradesmen are the same in that respect. I have a couple of nearly new transformers and these can easily be rewound/repaired should the need arise.
Thanks all
Hubby came home from work and I showed him the posts. He was well pleased that he doesn't have to sell his toys!!!!!!!

Sean like you hubby has lots of 110v tools.
Thanks again so much for all of your replies.
Debs
Old Apr 9th 2003, 8:54 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all
Hubby came home from work and I showed him the posts. He was well pleased that he doesn't have to sell his toys!!!!!!!

Sean like you hubby has lots of 110v tools.
Thanks again so much for all of your replies.
Debs
The idea of trailing 240v leads all over a muddy & wet site then picking up a 240v power tool with wet hands just doesn't appeal to me either!
Some of my gear is getting old and it's quite dirty and marked I was a little worried about having to pay for it all to be cleaned but someone said they're not to concerned with personal work tools and theirs had sailed through customs etc. with no problems. I'm still going to give them a wipe with a damp cloth and WD40 them before I box them all up all the same.
Sean
PS I'm taking my "van vault" and planned to put all the tools in it and lock it keeping the key with me until I get there is it possible to do this?
Old Apr 9th 2003, 9:06 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

If anything is locked you can be SURE customs will want to see what is inside and will charge you for any time wasted getting it open:scared:
Old Apr 9th 2003, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cresta57
The idea of trailing 240v leads all over a muddy & wet site then picking up a 240v power tool with wet hands just doesn't appeal to me either!

Have you remembered where you are going to.
Hot and dusty site's more like.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 9:09 pm
will be there soon!!!!!

Originally posted by cresta57
Some of my gear is getting old and it's quite dirty and marked I was a little worried about having to pay for it all to be cleaned but someone said they're not to concerned with personal work tools and theirs had sailed through customs etc. with no problems. I'm still going to give them a wipe with a damp cloth and WD40 them before I box them all up all the same.
Sean
PS I'm taking my "van vault" and planned to put all the tools in it and lock it keeping the key with me until I get there is it possible to do this?
Hi Sean
Don't know where you are going, but hope the sites are not muddy and wet!!!!!!!
Only joking.
Good idea about the "van vault" don't know if it's possible though.
What do you do for a living?
Tim
Old Apr 9th 2003, 9:38 pm

Hi Sean
Don't know where you are going, but hope the sites are not muddy and wet!!!!!!!
Only joking.
Good idea about the "van vault" don't know if it's possible though.
What do you do for a living?
Tim
I'm a brickie by trade and have TRA approval as one but mainly I ceramic tile. Nowadays the trowel only comes out for decorative feature work fireplaces and archways etc. I'm the longest serving employee been there about 14yrs so I'm one of the trusted few now.
Sean
PS I'm going to Queensland and when it rains it really rains sites get very muddy quickly I'm sure those building there will agree.
Old Apr 15th 2003, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Most of the construction sites I've been in contact with have NOT used 110volt equipment but 220/240 volt.