British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   power points (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/power-points-593376/)

mickpower75 Feb 23rd 2009 8:34 am

power points

Hi guys
going to bring TV, DVD etc are the plugs the same in uk as in Oz as i dont wnat to bring all the electrical stuff if its no good

please advise

Mick:):):)

moneypenny20 Feb 23rd 2009 8:44 am

Re: power points

Power's the same so bring your stuff it will work. The plugs are different so bring a load of multi point boards and then you just change the one plug and continue to use your UK stuff in the multi until you get round to changing all the plugs. There is a rule in QLD (not sure about other states) where you're technically not allowed to change your own plugs. It's total nonsense because you can get plugs everywhere and everyone does it.

We've been here over three years now and still have stuff on UK plugs - all stuff that has transformers and haven't broken yet. Just use a converter plug for them.

Nige37 Feb 23rd 2009 8:46 am

Yeah we're on 240v so you can just change the plugs, your not supposed to, you're supposed to get an electrician to do it but they sell them in Bunnings (B&Q), work that one out.:confused::confused:

slipshot Feb 23rd 2009 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Nige37 (Post 7312941)
Yeah we're on 240v so you can just change the plugs, your not supposed to, you're supposed to get an electrician to do it but they sell them in Bunnings (B&Q), work that one out.:confused::confused:

If you just use adapters (and buy in bulk - I ordered and bought 60 over with me and they are prooper ones, not the weaker travel type), then you save the hassle of chaning plugs and you keep the UK plug with the fuse in it thus protecting your equipment a lot more. A lot easier and I bought the adapters at about £1.30 each. Dead cheap and good quality. PM me if you need a link. came from overseas but always got here (ordered 30 then another 30 - one lot to UK, the other lot to here in Melbourne) and both took abotu 2 weeks

Pollyana Feb 23rd 2009 11:26 am

Originally Posted by slipshot (Post 7313001)
If you just use adapters (and buy in bulk - I ordered and bought 60 over with me and they are prooper ones, not the weaker travel type), then you save the hassle of chaning plugs and you keep the UK plug with the fuse in it thus protecting your equipment a lot more. A lot easier and I bought the adapters at about £1.30 each. Dead cheap and good quality. PM me if you need a link. came from overseas but always got here (ordered 30 then another 30 - one lot to UK, the other lot to here in Melbourne) and both took abotu 2 weeks

Don't forget to take spare fuses with you. As Aussie plugs don't have fuses, you can't buy them!!