Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Power of Attorney question

Power of Attorney question

Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice
Default Power of Attorney question

Im wanting to know has anyone had a power of attorney drawn up in Australia that is valid in the UK, I have some financial stuff that needs sorting out back in the UK, Has anyone done this,

Ive been told it is possible and been quoted over $500 for doing it, this seems steep, Were located on Gold Coast.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:03 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Power of Attorney question

I did my own one and an enduring one for my mum but backdated it and got it witnessed by someone (solicitor) in the uk. I lodged an enduring one for my dad while I was here too wiht the public guardianship people and that was ok, they just faxed me stuff and got me to get witnessed signatures which I did here at a solicitors. I already had the signed enduring from a couple of years ago when we found my dad had altzheimers before he lost the plot

I downloaded a power of attorney version from the web
http://www.free-legal-document.com/p...-attorney.html

I prob could have just got a british solicitor here to witness it but I always make it complicated.

I am not going to talk about what having a poa means and its implications, I guess you will read up on that and realise its a serious document and you could have your life savings, your children and all your food stuffs removed from you whilst you sleep.

Vivienne
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

basically I could walk into a solicitors over here with a pre-written poa and get them to witness it, would that then be a legal document in the UK.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by humpy
Im wanting to know has anyone had a power of attorney drawn up in Australia that is valid in the UK, I have some financial stuff that needs sorting out back in the UK, Has anyone done this,

Ive been told it is possible and been quoted over $500 for doing it, this seems steep, Were located on Gold Coast.
I had one done about 5 years back. I can't remember the cost, but it was no-where near $500. Maybe $50-$100, but it was only a basic PoA.

Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I had one done about 5 years back. I can't remember the cost, but it was no-where near $500. Maybe $50-$100, but it was only a basic PoA.
How did you do it if you dont mind me asking
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by humpy
How did you do it if you dont mind me asking
I can't remember now, but what I can recall is that I did one in the UK, but it turned out that it was the wrong one, so I had to get another done here in Australia.

I just went to a solicitor, told him what I needed, he gave me some paperwork to sign and I signed it, and so did he.

Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I can't remember now, but what I can recall is that I did one in the UK, but it turned out that it was the wrong one, so I had to get another done here in Australia.

I just went to a solicitor, told him what I needed, he gave me some paperwork to sign and I signed it, and so did he.

Thanks for your help, I think we have it sorted now.