Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Power of Attorney???

Power of Attorney???

Old Jul 2nd 2004, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Power of Attorney???

Can anyone explain to me in simple layman's terms the implications of handing power of attorney over to someone!?
Starting to panic a bit as our buyer hasn't found a buyer yet!!!!
Panic, panic, panic!
Rach x
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Power of Attorney???

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Can anyone explain to me in simple layman's terms the implications of handing power of attorney over to someone!?
Panic, panic, panic!
Rach x

I will phone m-i-l tonite

she works in a solicitors office

Old Jul 2nd 2004, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you!
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 3:41 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Panic, panic, panic!
Rach x
I think this gives the power of all decision making to (e.g do with the house sale) the person that you appoint as your representative. so all the documents you would usally sign can be signed by the person that you choose to act on your behalf .

:scared: :scared:
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Woody1974,
will have to find someone i trust implicitly then!
kind regards
Rach x
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 3:45 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Thanks Woody1974,
will have to find someone i trust implicitly then!
kind regards
Rach x
May be a good idea as you could find skint down under buskin for a few dollars.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

swiss tony is an unknown quantity at this point

Best person to pass it onto is your solicitor who is dealing with the sale, that is what I have done. He said it makes everything so much easier for him and a lot quicker too, he will not have to fax stuff to Oz for me to sign then wait to get them back etc!

Just hope he is trustworth

Regards

ST
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 4:07 pm
Go Banana's !!

Panic, panic, panic!
Rach x
hi Rach,

Jill and I have done this, especially with us both being out in Oz at the same time as changing agents and me working away. If you know a good solicitr it can be worth its weight in gold !

We did the same thing when selling our last house and he took care of everything whilst we were in Floridaon hols. We communicated by email and the odd call and it sped the process up no end.

Good luck

Warren (and Jill)
Perth 2004....Twice !! :scared:

Old Jul 2nd 2004, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Warren and Swiss Tony
our conveyancer is only a licenced conveyancer, will he do? he is very trustworthy and we've dealt with him before when we've bought property only we were in the same country at the time!
kind regards to you both
Rach x
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Our solicitor said he doesn't like to do this as it is too much hassle! And handing over to someone else is really only suitable if you physically cannot do it, eg. if you are on your deathbed.

I will not fax and post things backward and forward to Oz for the next few months so I'm off to find a new solicitor!!!!

Mandy
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Rach,

At one point it looked like Mick would have to fly first, leaving me to tie up the loose ends. Our solicitor advised us to instruct him to be our power of attorney. mind you, think it can be quite costly, but not 100% sure.

good luck

with love
Sandra
xxxx
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 7:42 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

As you might expect, POA gives a lot of power over to another!

I have POA over my MIL, and researched it on a Govt website a few months ago - but I can't remember which one. Do a search using "power of atorney" , enduring and UK: sure you'll find it.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 8:02 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I'd trust a solicitor with such an enormous part of our assets - I've known some to be struck off for malpractice!

Better to get a trusted relative to do the necessary signing under a specific Power of Attorney.

IMHO
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by scrawni
Our solicitor said he doesn't like to do this as it is too much hassle! And handing over to someone else is really only suitable if you physically cannot do it, eg. if you are on your deathbed.

I will not fax and post things backward and forward to Oz for the next few months so I'm off to find a new solicitor!!!!

Mandy
hi scrawni,

looks like you got the right idea, your solicitor sounds a right tosser if draughting up one document is too much hassle, we,ve just done two powers of Ats so my in laws can sell our house for us, piece of cake.

9 days to go, Andy