British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Pound - AUD exchange rates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pound-aud-exchange-rates-623102/)

CDM Jul 31st 2009 8:02 am

Pound - AUD exchange rates

I just spoke with HiFX about sending £10,000 to Australia and they told me the exchange rate was now BELOW 2 Dollars to the Pound - OUCH!

I'll be loosing several thousand Dollars compared to 6 months ago.

- CDM

bu1lder Jul 31st 2009 8:09 am

Re: Pound - AUD exchange rates

Originally Posted by CDM (Post 7800464)
I just spoke with HiFX about sending £10,000 to Australia and they told me the exchange rate was now BELOW 2 Dollars to the Pound - OUCH!

- CDM

I'm also in the same situation, what's to do? Just keep the green in a bank over here and keep chipping away, or bite the bullet? Any advise out there would be welcome.

shark bait Jul 31st 2009 8:32 am

it was 2.08 two weeks ago , so hold fire!

hitchw Jul 31st 2009 8:41 am

- CDM

How much did they offer you?

CDM Jul 31st 2009 10:02 am

Originally Posted by hitchw (Post 7800583)
How much did they offer you?

Just shy of 2%.

- CDM

Fly Away Jul 31st 2009 10:06 am

I have been watching it since March............... actually that's not true, I have been watching it since last October as that's when we were due to exchange contracts on our house. In the end we exchanged in December and missed the 2.7 although we did fix some at 2.3. Now we just watch the rate ping pong between 2 and 2.1. Most of our equity is trapped in the UK. We will be waiting a long time to see 2.5 again.... Wish we had settled for 2.3. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

moneypenny20 Jul 31st 2009 10:06 am

Stop thinking along the lines of what you've lost (or gained) had you exchanged before today. It's irrelevant. We all do it but it does no good and seriously doesn't help the stress factor of the move.:)

hitchw Jul 31st 2009 10:10 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 7800826)
Stop thinking along the lines of what you've lost (or gained) had you exchanged before today. It's irrelevant. We all do it but it does no good and seriously doesn't help the stress factor of the move.:)

couldnt have said it better myself... Hindsight is one of the worst traits we have!

TheSun Jul 31st 2009 11:05 am

- CDM

In my opinion! keep your money in the bank. The AU$ is very overvalued not just against the pound but the US$ too. This is because housing and retail data is artificially high due to the FHBG and the $900 economic stimulus. Once this ends and the $900 has worked its way thru the system the outlook may appear a little more bleak, the AU$ will devalue and we could be looking at the 2.3 - 2.7 to the pound range. Watch this space....................

CDM Jul 31st 2009 11:09 am

Originally Posted by TheSun (Post 7800952)
In my opinion! keep your money in the bank. The AU$ is very overvalued not just against the pound but the US$ too. This is because housing and retail data is artificialy high due to the FHBG and the $900 econonmic stimulus. Once this ends and the $900 has worked its way thru the system the outlook may apear a little more bleak, the AU$ will devalue and we could be looking at the 2.3 - 2.7 to the pound range. Watch this space....................

I'm planning on travelling at the end of August and we'll need funds whilst there so I have a limited window of opportunity to 'wait'.

If I keep the money in the UK bank, I'll be hit with charges to withdraw it from within Oz.

- CDM

chilliman Jul 31st 2009 11:50 am

Originally Posted by hitchw (Post 7800832)
couldnt have said it better myself... Hindsight is one of the worst traits we have!

I second that - I could've done a deal in October at 2.61 but couldn't quite get my "beans in a row" plus wasn't sure whether the move was going to happen or not. Now it looks likely & we are down at 2 (ish). I have spend a while pondering the potential AUD $200k "loss" but heck que cera cera ...

... things will improve, got enough AUD$ to get myself started & hopefully I may have a decent job in the bag in a couple of weeks which will make all the difference!! :thumbsup:

sr71 Jul 31st 2009 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by shark bait (Post 7800553)
it was 2.08 two weeks ago , so hold fire!

At $1.99 the £ is probably still overvalued - could drop to $1.90 and there are no indications that it will climb strongly in the next 18 months.

greghal Jul 31st 2009 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by TheSun (Post 7800952)
In my opinion! keep your money in the bank. The AU$ is very overvalued not just against the pound but the US$ too. This is because housing and retail data is artificially high due to the FHBG and the $900 economic stimulus. Once this ends and the $900 has worked its way thru the system the outlook may appear a little more bleak, the AU$ will devalue and we could be looking at the 2.3 - 2.7 to the pound range. Watch this space....................

Im sorry, but that is wishful thinking! with commodity prices high and interest rates appealing the aussie is set to stay strong.

In my opinion i would hold out for about 2.05 if you need it soon, it should go back above 2.00 again.

DownUnderPaddy Jul 31st 2009 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by greghal (Post 7801240)
Im sorry, but that is wishful thinking! with commodity prices high and interest rates appealing the aussie is set to stay strong.

In my opinion i would hold out for about 2.05 if you need it soon, it should go back above 2.00 again.

Agree. There is nothing but evidence out there in the GBP/AUD relationship to continue to indicate the trend we have been seeing for the last 6 months. You could be waiting a loooonnnggg time before you even see 2.20 again.

For every person who gives you an opinion one way on this thread, you will get another who goes the other way though, so take it all with a pinch of salt.

Don't let your plans to emigrate be dominated by the current exchange rate and the endless agonising over what it is going to do...

Chris. Jul 31st 2009 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy (Post 7801302)
Agree. There is nothing but evidence out there in the GBP/AUD relationship to continue to indicate the trend we have been seeing for the last 6 months. You could be waiting a loooonnnggg time before you even see 2.20 again.

For every person who gives you an opinion one way on this thread, you will get another who goes the other way though, so take it all with a pinch of salt.

Don't let your plans to emigrate be dominated by the current exchange rate and the endless agonising over what it is going to do...

I'm in similar boat - we moved on Aug 23rd and I wish I had fixed an exchange in Oct 08 - when I did a small exchange. But the way I am looking at it now is the interest I will earn on the money in an Oz bank account as opposed to Uk and any possible exchange gains.