Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pound - AUD exchange rates

Pound - AUD exchange rates

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

greghal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pound - AUD exchange rates

It is very easy to say that you will wait for 2.50, but that might take 4 years! if it was as easy as that then everyone would just trade at 2.50. I do agree waiting is a good option, but it all depends on the individuals circumstances, when you will need the money. Most people that i have spoken to generally will need it in a year
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by greghal
It is very easy to say that you will wait for 2.50, but that might take 4 years! if it was as easy as that then everyone would just trade at 2.50. I do agree waiting is a good option, but it all depends on the individuals circumstances, when you will need the money. Most people that i have spoken to generally will need it in a year
4 years for a 20% gain........what would a good interest rate pay right now in Oz compared to the UK? Especially as there may be interest rate rises coming on over here.....
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendarover
Its far more stressfull working long hours, earning what you could have got for free if you had waited for the exchange rate to improve, i tell yeh, work versus waiting, there is no debate there my friend. On a £100k, waiting for 2.5:1 from the current level of 2:1 is $50k.
But if someone needs the funds in Aus now, it doesn't matter what the rate is, they need the funds now. That was my point.

Not having funds when you need them is a damned sight more stressful than transferring the funds at a lower rate.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Location: Oxfordshire, will be in Melb for 4 months at Christmas
JimHennington is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
Well if i was a "hedger" comparing the UK pound , based on a financial sector, turn around .
With the Aust $ based on a Commodities ,turn around.............mm
I consider myself a hedger - I've hedged my bets and put half my spare cash in AUD and half in GBP.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

greghal is an unknown quantity at this point

If you could guarentee 2.50 in 4 years and you didnt need it then i agree its a good option, but the chances are you will need money before then and could get caught short!!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:04 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

HiFX are currently offering me 1.9872 to transfer up to £10,000 (AU$19,872).

- CDM
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I tend to agree with the sentiment in this article :

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6737848.ece

It will be a very long time before the £ is as strong as 2.5, if ever. It will be range bound between 1.80 and 2.20 for a very long time.

A couple of interest rate rises and good economic announcements in Aus will easily make the $ stronger.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the end of the day you all have not got a clue what happens happens.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Is the calc on HiFx front page accurate?
if so.....£10k today is $20173.2571 AUD
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:30 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
I just checked what an online tansaction for £10,000 would end up netting me and it comes to 19,860.00.

- CDM
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

http://www.hifx.co.uk/default.aspx
Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

My opinion is this:
1. AUD is very much influenced by the price of copper and iron ore. Does anybody think that the demand for raw material will go up?

2. The Reserve Bank of Australia is rhinking about hiking interest rate, when many developed nations are unable to do so.

All that means AUD will only get stronger.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:31 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

If you follow the link about the rate that's shown on the front page, it states the following:

All rates shown are based on today's Interbank rates. This is the rate at which banks and brokers buy and sell money to each other. Private individuals and small to medium sized businesses cannot access these rates. They are therefore provided for indicative purposes only.

- CDM
Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bugger!!!

So is Hifx the way forward ya reckon?
I have posted a new post about the confusion and dilemia im facing with my lack of knowledge in this field
Appreciate your comments ont here please CDM

Thanks jase
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:12 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Bugger!!!

So is Hifx the way forward ya reckon?
I have posted a new post about the confusion and dilemia im facing with my lack of knowledge in this field
Appreciate your comments ont here please CDM

Thanks jase
I'm not an expert myself either. I've signed up with HiFX because they have been highly recommended on here in the past and because I've had a good experience with them so far. From what I gather, there's not a lot in it between the different FX companies with regards to who has the best rates. HiFX don't charge fees and guarantee a fee-less transfer (on both sides). They let you transfer up to £10,000 at a go vias their online system so that's what I'll be using to send money to my Westpac account in Oz.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else I can tell you.

- CDM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.